Water heater insulation blankets

Originally Posted By: rray
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

What do people think about insulation blankets on water heaters? Good? Bad? Indifferent? Who cares?

Home inspections. . . .

One home at a time.

Originally Posted By: adufresne

I’ll throw my two cents in. I have read that using a blanket on the heater, if it is new, will void your warranty. It covers up all the information on the tank not to mention that if the tank leaks, you don’t know where the leak is until you remove the blanket. The tank is already insulated between the tank and outer covering. Seams like a waste of money and time to put one on. I bet Plumbers hate to see one on when they have to work on them. Maybe they charge more to remove and replace,ha ha!!! Armand QHIS

All valid points as far as I know.

Interestingly, the plumbers are the ones who try their best to sell them to unsuspecting homeowners. I recently had a water heater installed and the plumber wanted $250 for an insulation blanket, installed, i.e., included labor. What a deal! I politely declined.

Interestingly, the plumbers are the ones who b**** the most when they find them on water heaters because they are such a hassle to take off to get to the manufacturer's information when the homeowner does not know where the user guides are. And all the plumbers I've used in TX, LA, and CA have always read all the information before they went to work, even the ones who were charging by the job rather than hourly.

--
Home inspections. . . .
One home at a time.

Originally Posted By: jmyers

Russel,

According to the plumbers I have spoken with it will make the tank fail prematurely because it tends to hold moisture against the tank. Makes sense to me, although I could not verify that was true.

I tend to think of them as a pain in the A$$. I have asked people if they actually save money and the answer, at least from the honest ones, is always NO. Maybe it would be helpful if your basement was really cold, like outdoor cold. In most basements they just don't really seem to do any good.

$250 is kinda expensive for a fiberglass wrap, maybe I should go into plumbing! ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

Joe Myers

Originally Posted By: William E. Blair

The newer model wh’s have superior insulation built into the case. newer means post 1990.

I have called different mfgrs to ask the question re: voiding the warranty.
None say it will, none will either endorse or object to wraps.

Further study of the issue has taught me that a FG wrap on the case acts as a heat sink...actually drawing heat from the case, albeit holding the heat from dissipating. On older, less insulated models, that was not necessarily objectionable. On newer models, the savings are negligible.

The down side of wraps are well known, besides concealment of tech info and damage evidence, they collect dust and spider webs, and are a general pain.

There are available wraps for the newer models that are efficient and don't have the downside(s) mentioned above. A "kit" is available from most plumbing wholesalers that consists of 1/4" foil 2 side quilted material.
The science behind this type of wrap is that the foil "reflects" the latent heat from the case back into the case, as opposed to "drawing" the same from the case.

Additionally, when installed by someone who cares, these wraps give the appearance of "high tech", impress the client, and actually work. ![icon_idea.gif](upload://6VKizmOm2U7YYmfXNtFW4XTwFVy.gif)

William E. Blair wrote:
None say it will, none will either endorse or object to wraps.

Until they get sued for a defective water heater, at which point they claim that the water heater was not defective but that someone had covered up all the safety and operational information with an insulation blanket. Thus, they could not take responsibility.

We've got some court cases here that seem to indicate otherwise. Get them to put it in writing.

"If they are installed properly" creates other problems, of course. I've only seen one installed properly. All the others look like a wet blanket with duct tape all over it.

http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/WHIB.jpg

--
Home inspections. . . .
One home at a time.

Originally Posted By: nlewis

William,

I'm not convinced of the heat sink theory. Otherwise I would think about removing the insulation from the walls and ceiling in my house.

Originally Posted By: dvalley

I always recommend that these blankets get removed. I read somewhere that this insulation covering will cut the life expectancy of the tank, in half. No, I do not have proof, but do yourself a favor… Next time you see one, slide your hand in behind one of these jackets and feel the water heater.

It will be so hot you’ll be able to fry an egg on this. Not good.

Insulation blankets are a waste of time and money.

Note: There are indirect stainless steel water storage tanks that will have these and are required by the manufacturer upon installation. ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif)

--
David Valley
MAB Member

Massachusetts Certified Home Inspections
http://www.masscertified.com

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go."

Originally Posted By: nlewis

David,

I would rather have the heat stay next to the water heater than escape into the room. That experiment doesn't tell me that this will cause a problem due to the heat. Next time your in an attic in the winter, slide your hand under the insulation against the ceiling; it will be very warm because the insulation is doing its job.

What brand of indirect REQUIRES an insulation blanket be installed on top of the insulation installed by the manufacturer?

Originally Posted By: arosenbaum

Like stated before, some blankets are required, but then again, it can be against code… so its a lose-lose situation…

By the way, plumbing up here in the Minneapolis area is $88/hour (our company)and that is cheap.... other companies charge $120-$150 an hour.