Water Heater Location

This gas water heater is located in the laundry room. The laundry room is upstairs. 9-10 yr. old home. The dryer is also gas. I saw no vents in the room and the door is hollow door (no vents). Is this acceptable?

Stines 017.jpg

Patrick, you may want to consider taking the advanced water heater course

Check the course material pack located HERE
Calculation of necessary venting requirements are covered in the course.

See section 11 in the course pack.

Thanks Michael. I mainly wated to know how much vent space is needed, ie. louvered door, vent at top and bottom of door, etc. I will check that out.

check out the TPR drain…

OK, I’ll bite. What’s wrong with the TPR drain?

It may be running uphill, but that could be the angle of pic.

“Combustion air (“make-up air”) is required for gas burning appliances at a rate of 50 cu ft / 1000 BTU or else external ventilation is required. Due to the room size, that requirement may not be met (formal sizing calculations were not conducted). External ventilation openings should be within 12 inches (305 mm) of the top of the enclosure, and one within 12 inches (305 mm) of the bottom of the enclosure. No external ventilation was provided. Inadequate supply of combustion air results in incomplete combustion; products of incomplete combustion include carbon monoxide. The room housing the water heater may be inadequately ventilated for the purposes of providing combustion air and we recommend an evaluation and repair by a licensed plumbing contractor.”

I have never seen a calculation to take into consideration the fact that the clothes dryer is actually creating a negative pressure (it is blowing air out of the room). The presence of a clothes dryer vented to the exterior makes it especially important for the appliance to have sufficient combustion air.

The amount of ventilation is fairly complicated. Check your Code Check Plumbing book.:wink: If you don’t have one, you really should get one.

Nooo. The photo? Aren’t they supposed to install the water heaters at an angle like that?

Nice seismic straps also. oops.

I thought maybe the wall was leaning…:slight_smile: Just trying to give the guy the benefit of the doubt. :wink:

Not to mention the ignition source is not elevated to the necessary 18".

Stephan - 3 elbows to many.
Is it PVC or CPVC?
Does AHJ in Knoxville, TN require seismic straps?

Oh wait…nevermind. It is on the second floor, so it plenty elevated.:wink:

Alright! Thank you! I’m sending you a gift, dude!
In the video, we calculate combustion air in a couple different situations.

Wasn’t begging for a gift Ben but thanks.

The course was well done and useful.

I found the info on FVIR water heaters helpful.

Kenton did a fine job and Paige with the Bradford technician was a nice addition.