Water heater shut off valve required?

I inspected a 2006 model manufactured home that does not have a cold water shut off valve at the water heater. However, there is one approximately 7 feet from the water heater located on the wall that’s labeled “main shut off”.

What’s your thoughts on this and should I recommend one to be installed at the tank itself?

Thanks!

Does the main shut off turn off all the water? Or just the tank

There should be a dedicated shutoff at the tank. I would recommend one.
It makes it easier to replace without losing water to the whole house and if it needs to be shutoff and the main will not work due to failure it is effort well spent.
Unless they are going to be exercising the main shutoff Noone knows if it actually works or not.

3 Likes

The main water to the home.

Okay thanks, makes sense.

Someone else might say different but that’s just my opinion

Manufactured homes are covered under the HUD rules. Very rarely do I see a water supply valve at the water heater. On manufactured homes.

2 Likes

Do you call it out ?

Are you talkin to me?

1 Like

With OR Without one, YES recommend one. Whether they do it or not is of no concern AFTER you’ve said it

1 Like

Morning, Paul.
Hope this post finds you well.

Paul. Why should the main domestic potable water supply be situated upstream the cold water heater feed?
Personally, I would report what I saw.

If you feel uncomfortable reporting the reported main water shutoff is not the main domestic potable water supply shut off valve, refer to the vender agent or vender for disclosure.

Best regards.
Robert Young

I would guess that it’s about to have one installed anyway, as the tank is nearing replacement age. When the plumber installs the new appliance, he’ll likely add one during the install.

1 Like

If there is a question about whether or not a shut off valve should be installed with the water heater, it is best to check the manufacturers installation instructions. Please see page 26 of this Bradford White water heater installation manual which states a valve should be installed on the cold water supply. Earlier in the instructions the installer was informed to turn off the main water to the home. Codes usually have requirements for water heaters but also require installation according to manufactures instructions.

3 Likes

I agree, but it is different for manufactured home.
I have the HUD codes and I can’t seem to find anything about a valve on a water heater on a manufactured home.
Here they are see if you can find it.
ManFac Home HUD.pdf (1.4 MB)
ManFac Home HUD2.pdf (1.6 MB)

3 Likes

I didn’t see it in there Roy. I just saw a requirement for a main water shut off. Does this mean shut off valves for fixtures are also not required?

1 Like

It appears so. I hardly ever see them with the exception of high end manufactured homes. And rarely on the water heater.
The water heaters are usually behind a screwed in access wall. Which I think is really stupid.

1 Like

That’s interesting I learn something new every day. I didn’t know that I’m not familiar with HUD requirements. I don’t see much of it here. Thank you Roy.

2 Likes

You are welcome.

2 Likes

What are you doing? @slord That has nothing to do with this thread.
Read the title.
Would you please back down for a while.

1 Like

What is the title of this thread?
You must be bi-polar… Huh?