Water Heater - TPR Question


It seems like this water heater has a TPR with a drain going up (instead of horizontal or down), and also an alternative drain valve, which seems too high up from the floor.

What do you think of this installation?

Thank you.


Maybe it is just me but I thought the following needed to apply here…atleast it does where I am from.

1.) The TPR should not drain uphill per ( 2803.6.1-03 IRC ) and (608.5 - 03 UPC )

2.) If it is a gas water heater ( which it is ) and their is no ability to achieve a gravity drain the use of a Watts 210 shut off is allowed but still has to have a PRV.

3.) Also the discharge pipe on the water heater has to be minimum 3/4"
4.) Since I can’t tell…is this TPR within 6" of the top of the tank?

Maybe someone else has even more details on this…but I would make a note if it for the fact I cant see the discharge end anyway…

Ok…back over to electrical where I belong…Bye Bye

I have no idea what they are doing with this, but I can’t even see a TPR valve at all, nevermind the pipe going up. And why is the hole at the side of the tank so big?

Is this some goofy attempt at recirculating?

I think you should recommend the homeowners call a plumber. Today!!!


I have to agree…I can honestly say I do not recall ever seeing one done in this manner.

Funky set-up.

Is there an end to that piping (in question)?

Here in the Chicago area the TRP drain line must be with 6" of the floor. with no cap.

The flexible gas line has tp go, should be hard piped with drip leg to water heater.

Plumber needed quick. Also wondering about large hole?

Michael Cotten
Cornerstone Home Inspections Inc

lol…the large hole was due to the LAST explosion from this unit…

Per Peoples Energy’s “Construction Guide for Gas Usage in Chicago”, both CSST and flexible gas connectors (of Stainless steel or coated brass) can be used to supply gas to appliances. CSST cannot be used on any appliance that is movable however. (Dryers, Stoves, etc.)

Plastic for a TPR drain is a no no as well.

Plumbers use flex lines sometimes to connect to the drain line sometimes, but pressure rated flex lines. Copper, braided etc.

Where is that stated? I see it all the time.

CPVC (identified on the piping) is allowable as it is rated for high temperatures. I can’t quite tell fromt eh photo, but it appears that there is a yellow band on the pipe (which is the mark of “Flow Gold” brand CPVC.)

I was taught that PVC is not allowable as it is not rated for the high temperatures that could be present at the TPV release, especially if it is a slow leak over an extended time. I have no supporting documentation on that - just what I was taught.

the so called ‘‘hole’’, looks like some thing covering the tpr rather than a hole. maybe a piece of pipe insulation? or something covering the tpr, if so, that’s also a big no no. the pop up mechanism looks like it won’t be able to “pop up” if it has to.