Water Heater

I’m an inspector in NC and came across a water heater on a stand in a garage that was hard piped all the way to the unit. In California I would have called this out and recommended a flex line for the final connection. any insights on this being an issue in NC?

See it all the time in IL. Less earthquakes here.

Dan,

If your referring to black pipe, that is how we do it here in Massachusetts. Most gas supply pipes are piped right up to the mechaincal it is supplying. Just make sure the drip leg is installed.

http://www.ketteringoh.org/newweb/pdfs/planning/water_heater_info.pdf

Are we talking about supply lines like this

Good point Bobby, I was thinking only gas lines.

Either way, in CA flex would be required because of earthquakes. I don’t think (don’t know if) that applies in NC.

Depends on the jurisdiction. The town I live in says no to flex… gas, water, flue and electrical.

Jeff

thanks for the input guys. sorry for the multiple posts, i’m still getting used to the board and thought i deleted them. having some trouble w/ it recognizing me as a member.
d

Site can be glitchy like that sometimes. I tend to agree with the previous posts that flex is required only in certain areas that are typically prone to earth quakes. No flex requirements here. Actually never seen flex except on a gas range or gas dryer.