Water standing dishwasher

I have a client who moved into their home and after several months notice water standing in bottom of dishwasher after the cycle was complete. When I did the inspection, I ran the dishwasher through a complete cycle as always and checked for proper drainage at the time. It was not holding water then and the buyers noted that they never noticed it until of late. I was wondering if anyone has a thoughts as to what is causing or allowing this to happen. I truly appreciate any and all help. Please email me at grover@homeinspectionscincinnati.com

Thanks
Grover

Many dishwashers have removable drain covers which should be removed and the drain and cover clean/cleared as required.
There could also be a kink or buildup of debris in the drain line.
Or the pump could be worn.

I always try the easiest thing first.

I agree.

It is quite common for a dishwasher have drainage issues because either the drain hose or the air gap (if the unit has one) is clogged up. Drain hose clogs commonly occur where the hose is attached to the main waste line, or where the hose connects with the garbage disposer. Try removing the drain hose to unclog any debris.

People also don’t rinse there dishes before they put them in the dishwasher and the food clogs the screen in the bottom, not letting all the water drain.

Water left in the bottom of the dishwasher after the cycle can be indicative of lack of air gap (or clogged as others have said) as well as a high loop in the drain line that isn’t high enough. A little water syphons back.

It’s old and broken, call the repairman…

As always, this guy has the answer! :mrgreen:

Hello BK . I hope all is well in your life. PM me if you have a chance…

Vegatable trimmings and certain foods like rice/beans can clog up the connection at the disposal and therefore the dishwasher will not drain properly when the trap or connection at the disposal gets clogged. this is just another thought on the subject.

the fill valve could be suspect!