We found a Chinese manufacturer to make much better IR cameras for much less money.

We’re having them custom built for InterNACHI now. The IR industry can expect high-resolution and low camera cost.

I’ll let everyone know the minute we have them in stock in the U.S. and at our new Canadian IR camera outlet.

Sweet Nick, thats awesome.

Great Nick
Got any details?

Awsome.

Nick-

I evaluated a 320X240 thermal imaging camera from China in Feb 2010. It was not very good and it is not clear if the sensor is 320X240. It could be the image is constructed onto a 320X240 format on the LCD and that was my impression.

I carry a UK brand camera and I track what is coming out of other countries and I have an open mind about these things. My advice is to eval the camera and let us know what you find.

In recent posts I have been trying to empahsize that the datasheet does not tell you how good the camera is in reality.
Regards,
-Les

Pembroke Instruments, LLC
http://pembrokeinstruments.com
sales@pembrokeinstruments.com

Chinese??? WHY NOT AMERICAN MADE! I would rather pay more $$$ knowing it was made here at home…just my 2 cents!

And everyone bitches about the lack of jobs in the US…I wonder why there is a shortage?

If we get cheaper cameras, we may have to lower our inspection prices.

Caveat emptor… :wink:

Thanks but no thanks. Turns out I’m allergic to high levels of lead, cadmium, SO2, poor quality control measures, and other common ingredients found in these products.

什麼他媽的?:shock::shock:

Yeah! A cheaper but good camera has been needed for a long time. Most non-IR cameras have been gone from the US manufacturing for a long time so why not IR.

We tried to cut deals with both American companies (FLUKE and FLIR) but they both insist on treating/charging InterNACHI members no better than diploma mill inspectors.

I’m having a much better camera custom built and will sell it at cost or even less than cost, forever and ever and ever and ever (just like we provide approved education for free, forever).

I was born in Pittsburgh and my family worked the steel mills until foreign dumping caused them to close, so I am generally opposed to dumping. However, we gave FLUKE and FLIR plenty of chances, but they refuse to give InterNACHI members special pricing.

Uh… OK then.

The US government itself has literally paved the way for thermal imaging camera companies abroad to get legs and fly, so I have no problem with Nick or myself for that matter making a buck.

As most of you know, the military is the big customer for thermal imaging; that said, commercial applications are growing faster. I believe FLIR is about 50/50 in the distribution between miliytary and commecial customers.

The US government makes it next to impossible to export any decent thermal imaging camera outside the USA. I 320X240, 30 Hz may need a license. So the customer can buy within their own region (Europe or Asia) w/o a license if there is a local manf. And now there are.

The other factor is making a decent camera from a 2D sensor is no longer such a small club as it used to be. I live in Silicon Valley and most engineers I meet are from Asia. Our kids don’t want to be engineers and scientists.

“American made” can be a complicated issue. Fluke, for example, is owned by the Danaher Corporation (http://www.fundinguniverse.com/company-histories/Danaher-Corporation-Company-History.html). Danaher is HQ’d in DC but it is a multi-national holding company. Multi-national holding companies are motivated by profit and they have no special loyalty to the USA. Most multi-nationals have an ultimate goal to get all their products made under one roof in China or India.

Taking lessons from Mikey!!

will it have more than 1 model ?? price range?

Nick will have to let the cat out of the bag, but it sounds like it will shake the
IR industry. I look forward to seeing it hit the fan… LOL.

Exciting stuff. Nick - Is it too soon to get a timeline for roll out?

Are you stating that Fluke cameras are not U.S. made because they are motivated by profit? Or that the fact that Danaher owns over 600 companies worldwide makes any difference in the quality of product that Fluke has been putting out for decades?

Danaher has plenty of loyalty to the U.S. – it owns and maintains one of the oldest U.S. made hand tool companies ever, Craftsman.

Danaher donated (through it’s holdings) over 100 million dollars in 2009 alone, most of them to U.S. charities. Of those 600 companies, I wonder how many Americans they employ.

What has Pembroke contributed to the U.S. that deserves the business of even a single American? …same goes for IR cameras made by Comnmunists.

What I am saying is large multi-national companies, including those HQ’d in the USA, have no particular loyalty to the USA. I have friends in senior management at Danaher and FLIR and I was a senior exec at a similar company, Roper Industries. They are all smart, well managed companies and they are motivated by profit FIRST.
If they can make their widgets made cheaper overseas they will. Is it news to you that large multi-national USA companies have exported millions of USA jobs overseas?
Show us the link where any multi-national has declared keeping jobs in the USA as a top priority. What I have contributed? My history is in LinkedIn. I have designed many successful CCD and CMOS cameras that have created employment for hundreds of americans. Most of these products still generate millions of dollars of revenue/year.

But lets not digress…no American small business should feel guilty about buying overseas products. You won’t be doing anyone any favors by going out of business.
I sell many Euopean products in my home state, California. I collect very large amounts of sales tax which goes to the State. One way or another, the G gets their cut.