Web Sites -How to?

Originally Posted By: ecrofutt
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Chris, Thaks for the link to anybrowser.com. It helped me realize I need to make a few changes to my site.

I started with a free host site with pop up ads. After lots of months, I figured I should get off my a$% and decide how to do an ad free site. Costs me about $9.00 bucks a month. I really like the look a lot better.

THE WAY I DID IT versus THE WAY I SHOULD HAVE DONE IT.

THE WAY I DID IT
I started out by going to namesecure.com and registering my domain name. They offered a one page, very basic site NAME, ADDRESS, TELEPHONE, E-MAIL that could get me on the web. It also gave me a e-mail forwarding capability so that any mail addressed to erby@b4uclose.com was forwarded to my real e-mail address.

Then I went to Yahoo's Geocities free web hosting service at www.geocities.com and developed the real site using their "Page Builder" program. Kind of clunky but hey, it worked for me for awhile. When I had that site ready to go, http://www.geocities.com/b4uclose/index.html I went back to name secure.com and had it redirect www.b4uclose.com to www.geocities.com/b4uclose/index.html. That meant that anytime someone put www.b4uclose.com in their browser or clicked on a search engine result for www.b4uclose.com it actually sent them to the real web site on geocities.

Worked OK for awhile, but I really wasn't happy with the pop up adds or how clunky it was to download Page Builder each time I wanted to make a change to the site.

THE WAY I SHOULD HAVE DONE IT (The first time)
Finally I got it together.

I found that there are a lot of hosting services that have decent tools to let you develop your site without knowing computer programming, HTML, or any of that complicated crap. HTML reminds of college days programming in BASIC, yuk.

I did a google search on free hosting. In following those links, I found several that also did minimal cost hosting with tools to develop the site.

I chose www.tripod.com using their "site-builder tools. I chose their "Pro" service to meet my needs for a site and e-mail for $8.95 a month, with a $15.00 setup fee.

It comes with a free domain name registration or you can transfer your existing domain.

I developed (hah!) my new site there and I now like the look a lot better. Developed, baloney, I just copied the text from my old web site into the templates on the new site, changed some things around and viola, it was ready.

It's not quite as simple as I make it sound. You need to learn to take full advantage of the hosts tools for building your site. What I actually did while checking the free hosting links from google was sign up for a "free" account with information my head. I then played with their tools seeing how adaptable they were, could I use them easy etc. I did this on several free hosting sites. After I settled on one at www.tripod.com I went back to each of those and deleted my account so I wasn't taking up space on their server.

That was when I actually signed up for the paid account and domain name stuff.

I like the builder because it comes with templates such as one column page, two column page, photo album page, etc and can also be done freestyle. Like any new computer program, it takes a little playing with it to get it right.

I'm much happier with the new one.

Erby Crofutt
B4U Close Home Inspections
Georgetown, KY
www.b4uclose.com

Originally Posted By: ismetaniuk

This membership was a big waste of my time!!!

Igor

Top To Bottom Inspections

Glen Spey, NY

Originally Posted By: Nick Gromicko

Good question Igor!

Aw, this sucks. I just spent 10 minutes doing a response to your post and lost it when I got disconnected.

Check it again. Web site devopment is an ongoing process. Why don't I see one listed on your profile. Then you could also be linking to NACHI. Besides, you could be getting some more business out of it.

NACHI & PHIC may be fueding but it's not on the radar screen of most HIs around the country. including the ASHI guys.

RE Standards of Practice and Code of Ethics, that's what I use.

ASHI has done a lot for me. I don't seem to have the problem getting ahold of them that a few others have complained about. Besides, I'd pay twice the ASHI fee, just to participate in their message forum. I think its the best HI resource on the web. Quite a large group of well experienced home inspectors and new guys. I don't see much flaming of the new guys either, just a lot of helpfulness. A good model, along with www.inspectionnews.com for what this board can be with some better organization and participation. Though I must add that this board seems to be getting better all the time.

Erby

Thanks for adding NACHI.org link to your site. It helps. Nick

Originally Posted By: Chris Morrell

How about a little self-advertising:

If you want a home inspection website, you can go for the 10/mo. do-it-yourself option like B4U Close and get a standard looking website with the standard look ![icon_smile.gif](upload://b6iczyK1ETUUqRUc4PAkX83GF2O.gif) If you want something that you can show off, drop me an e-mail and we can set it up. I'm going to tell you right now that It's going to cost you more (although maybe not in the long-run, as there are options that we can discuss that wouldn't require per month fees), but It'll look original, and have very inspection-specific features. Even better yet, wait a few months: I hope to be setting up a whole system for inspectors that lets you have your reports online, mailing lists, et cetera all from an interface that looks a lot like microsoft word (no HTML, CGI, et cetera knowledge required). Each page will be custom designed with your logo and more, and NACHI members will probably get at least $100 off the final price. It will also have the option of a one-time fee...

The above wasn't a very well thought out paragraph, but I think I got my general idea across:

1. Get your website together while keeping me in business and I'll give you something to brag about ![icon_smile.gif](upload://b6iczyK1ETUUqRUc4PAkX83GF2O.gif)
  2. Wait a little longer, and I'll make the above statement even easier for ya.

Enjoy,

--
Chris Morrell
Director of Information Technology
http://www.nachi.org/

![](upload://eblYMPWlnXUetZiymn74JjAA4CO.html)

Originally Posted By: ismetaniuk

This membership was a big waste of my time!!!

Igor

Top To Bottom Inspections

Glen Spey, NY

Igor,

You are SO SO SO RIGHT! And so lucky! to have that firmly established referral base. I envy you.

However, I don't have the referral base established yet. The web site brings in quite a few customers, getting them to call me. Contrary to your area, I find a lot of the people buying homes being comfortable on the web to find things. Yes, then they want to make the call.

Once I was "edumakated" by a much smarter person about phone calls, I've never lost an inspection from someone who called me. I have turned a few away, just because I didn't feel good about our conversation. Same as you.

A lot of people really don't understand Home Inspections. They just get told by the realtors or attorneys or friends that they need one. I get phone calls and the only question they know to ask is "How much?" I don't tell them then. I start talking about what the inspection entails, the house they're buying, what it takes to inspect it, what I feel is important in choosing a home inspector, etc. When they have a much better understanding of home inspections and my personality, then I tell them the price. I have yet to lose one, by their choice, after this conversation.

Before I started doing the education thing, they'd ask "How much?" I'd tell them. They said thank you and hang up, never to be heard from again.

I also use the web site to get them to review the contract BEFORE the inspection. I don't want them to feel pressured by dumping it on them at the last minute.

I'm glad to hear business is good for you. It gives me hope for the future.

After losing two long messages like this yesterday, I've also started to do the copy thing before posting. My point is, I don't have to on other boards, why just this one?

Chris, You knock the ten month do it yourself thing but I notice you still are having trouble with the NACHI site. Can you give us some examples of trouble free sites you've set up. When I can afford to use the dollars for a web site instead of beans for the table, I may be tempted to have it professionally done by then. For now, my dollars have to go to things I can't do for myself. (Yes, you smart alecks, I can grow beans).

Erby

Erby, might I add:

B4U Close wrote:
Chris, Thaks for the link to anybrowser.com. It helped me realize I need to make a few changes to my site.

--
Chris Morrell

![](upload://wTHouKiUnGHt2CuXDYmFjr0rl3S.html)

Above reply was mainly in response to another topic.

As for the NACHI website, it's true that I'm having some trouble with it -- that's why I'm taking the time to re-design it the right way. When we set it up, Nick wanted something that would work, fast. We've constantly added things separately, so it didn't all work together.

Hopefully the new site will work better than the old. And anyway, what are the problem(s) that you noticed? I'll fix 'em.

--
Chris Morrell

Chris:

I don't want to take you away from building the new site, however since you asked, there is a feature that NAZIBrian has on inspectionews that is pretty cool. Maybe we have it and I just haven't found it. It is "recent posts" button or "most active" button (specialized searches)

Nick

Aw Chris, Given your above post, it appears you are sensitive to people pointing out errors on the site.

I'm sorry if I offended you by pointing out that error. I'll stop.

I was just trying to make the site better.

Erby

No, please point out any errors you notice. I was partially just playing around, partially just explaining. We want this website to constantly grow, and everyone’s comments are extremely helpful. Keep 'em coming.

Chris Morrell

Originally Posted By: Ed Porter

Erby,

Just took a look at your website. Nice.

About your page on inspection pricing; did you write that or is that a standard from somewhere? Either way, it is VERY good. I currently post prices on my website, but I am strongly considering using your approach.

Thanks.

![icon_cool.gif](upload://oPnLkqdJc33Dyf2uA3TQwRkfhwd.gif)

--
Ed Porter
Cornerstone Home Inspection Services
Grand Haven, MI

I read and researched a lot. Then wrote it out of my head. Some of it may be real close to what I read elsewhere.

Thank you,

Erby

Originally Posted By: jremas

I am very frustrated trying to add a counter to my website. Years ago I put them on my site with no difficutly. Now I use MS publisher to make the site (yeah I know) and it is frustrating. I feel like I know less than I did years ago. I hate to lose all my work and start over but I need a better platform to make the website on and ease of adding a simple counter. Any ideas? ps, i have no money.

Jeff Remas
REMAS Inspections, Inc.
Northeastern PA & the Poconos
www.NEPAinspector.com

570-362-1598

See my notes about www.tripod.com above.

It can be "Free" if you want pop-up ads.
$4.95 a month for no ads
$8.95 a month for no ads and e-mail forwarding.

If you like it, build your new site then change your redirect to that account.

Erby.

Jeff,

Just go to google.com and type in something like "Free hit counter" -- there'll be probably a few thousand hits. Choose one that you like (most of 'em will have a little ad like "counter provided by ...", so choose the one you mind the least) and sign up for it. They'll give you a little bit of HTML code to paste into your source code. Here's what you do:

1. Open your 'index.htm' file in notepad
    If you don't know how to do that, click on your start menu, then "Programs", then "Accessories", and find "Notepad." Click on it, and go to the "File" menu and choose "Open..." An "Open" window will pop up, and you need to change "Files of Type:" from "Text Documents" to "All files", and then go to your file and open it.
  2. Scroll to the bottom of your file and you'll see:
    Code:

<table cellpadding=0 cellspacing=0>
    <tr>
      <td width=138 height=36 style='vertical-align:top'><![endif]>
      <div v:shape="_x0000_s1272" style='padding:2.88pt 2.88pt 2.88pt 2.88pt'
      class=shape>
      <p class=MsoNormal style='text-align:center;text-align:center'><span
      style='font-size:16.0pt;line-height:100%;font-weight:bold;language:EN;
      mso-ansi-language:EN'>Selling</span><span style='font-size:16.0pt;line-height:
      100%;font-weight:bold;language:EN'><o:p></o:p></span></p>
      </div>
      <![if !vml]></td>
    </tr>
    </table>

</span><![endif]>
    </div>

</body>

</html>

3. You want to add the code they gave you:
    Code:

</table>

</span><![endif]>
    </div>
    <!--###########ADD YOUR CODE HERE############-->
    </body>

</html>

4. Save it, and check to see if it works

Note: This is written for Jeff's website, and won't work on others. The principal is the same, though: Just add the code above the "</body>" of your HTML documents.

--
Chris Morrell

![](upload://eblYMPWlnXUetZiymn74JjAA4CO.html)

Originally Posted By: John Davco Jr.

Chris,

The new web page looks good but I think improvements could be make to the first line ( The National Association of Certified Home Inspectors) could be LARGER in white. The address size is ok, Welcome could be smaller also the bar on the left to hi light the selection could be in gray or a lighter color. This is as I see it,hope this is a help.

Thanks for your time.
Jack D

Originally Posted By: jremas

Chris,

Thanks for the help with the website. The counter is in place and I can get stats for free. I appreciate the help. You are a tremendous resource for us and your FREE help is VERY APPRECIATED. Just starting out my budget is very tight so thank you again.

Jeff Remas
REMAS Inspections, Inc.
Northeastern PA & the Poconos
www.NEPAinspector.com

570-362-1598