Finding a web site

Originally Posted By: Robert Patterson
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I’m working on my first web site (a lot of kudos and thanks to Erby for making me beleive I could actually do one and pointed in the right ditrection) and need to know, once I publish it, how do I get the search engines to find it?

Any help thanks.

Bob

Originally Posted By: gbeaumont

Hi Bob, god I’m dying to hear the answer to your question, I to am playinmg with a web site, and I can’t find the damm thing myself.

Gerry Beaumont

NACHI Education Committee

e-mail : education@nachi.org

NACHI phone 484-429-5466

Inspection Depot Education
gbeaumont@inspectiondepot.com

"Education is a journey, not a destination"

Originally Posted By: lwedige

The best source I’ve found for search engine submission information is http://selfpromotion.com/. And it’s free. Just follow the pointers.

Larry

Originally Posted By: rwills

Here’s a few things I’ve learned along the way. Most of these ideas are free. When I started out I didn’t have a lot of money to pour into promotion so I spent a lot of time self-promoting if you will!

(1)-There are tons of sites that will submit your site for free such as EX: http://www.businessweb.com.au/add-it/free/
You have to sit there and input all your info over and over but,like I said it's free.
(2)-If you don't know anything about HTML code or Javascript go to
http://www.htmlgoodies.com and learn at least the basics. You'll learn that META tags are how search engines find your site!
(3)-Go to any search engine,(I use Google), and type "yellow pages",you'll be surprised how many there are,and most will let you get a listing for"free".
(4)-A lot of the major search engines will let you submit your site for free also,however,some make take 4-6 weeks or more to post you.(So what, you got plenty of time,right?)
(5)-This should have been number one! Make sure you purchase a domain name to direct people to your site. I use:
http://www.namesecure.com make sure it's an easy name relating to your business.
(6)-Each county usually has a website with a business directory. Get on it,again "free".
(7)-Keep doing all of the above items every chance you get. It may take a while but before you know it,you'll be popping up all over the place. Don't believe me? I live in Bucks County-on Google search engine, or Yahoo, or AOL Anywhere--type:home inspection bucks county-guess who's at the top of the list? I didn't think this would ever happen!...Hope these help!...Bob W

Hi guys, thanks alot for the info, I guess I’ll be doing HTML 101 for the next few hours, and I thought JAVA SCRIPT was reading your morning newspaper over a coffee.

I just learn something new everday !!

thanks

Gerry

--
Gerry Beaumont
NACHI phone 484-429-5466

Originally Posted By: Chris Morrell

For domain names I’d recommend godaddy.com. Much less expensive than any other registrar I’ve seen around. As for optimizing - look up meta tags on the internet. Also, check out http://www.searchenginewatch.com.

Chris Morrell

Director of Information Technology

http://www.nachi.org/

![](upload://bvvfquVItaUnAIBSllZLR208DAI.html)

Originally Posted By: jmyers

Everyone,

Go Daddy is a great hosting web sites that is the one I use. Very low cost for registering and hosting. They are great but make sure you have an ISP for your outgoing mail because they do not provide outgoing mail service only incoming.

Joe Myers

Originally Posted By: Chris Morrell

Godaddy’s hosting is fairly limited, but I suppose that’s fine for most. If anyone’s interested, I just started hosting websites. Contact me if you’re interested. 12.95/mo. for a huge list of features:

I guarantee 99.9% uptime.

Email
. Webmail
. Pop Accounts
. Autoresponders
. Emil Filters
. Email Forwarding
. Mailing Lists
. Spam Assassin

Stats
. Webalizer Web Stats
. Webalizer FTP Stats
. Analog Stats
. Latest Visitor Stats
. Bandwidth Stats
. Error Logs
. Raw Log Files

Domains
. Manage Sub-domains
. Manage Parked Domains
. Manage Add-on Domains

FTP
. FTP Account Manager
. Anonymous FTP Setup
. Create Custom FTP Login Message

CGI Scripts
. Bulletin Board
. HTML/Java Chat Rooms
. CGI Wrapper
. Random HTML Generator
. Guestbooks
. Counter/Countdown
. Clock
. Countdown
. FormMail Clone
. Entropy Search
. Banner Manager
. AutoresponsePlus
. More!

Site Management
. Backup
. Web Protect
. Change Passwords
. Custom Error Pages
. Redirects
. MIME Types
. Apache Handlers
. Frontpage Extensions
. Search Engine Submitter
. Hotlink Protector
. File Manager
. Online Documentation

Databases
. MySQL
. Manage MySQL
. phpMyAdmin

Advanced
. SSH
. SSI
. Cron Jobs
. GPG Keys
. Trace Route / Lookup

--
Chris Morrell
Director of Information Technology
http://www.nachi.org/

![](upload://bvvfquVItaUnAIBSllZLR208DAI.html)

Originally Posted By: rkuntz

I have been using Chris’s hosting for a few days now and so far so good. Chris also did a great job with my site. I played around for a few months trying to do it myself, until I finally decided to spend the money to get a professional site together. In 3 days Chris had it up and running!! Well worth the money, now I can spend more time out marketing my services adn soing inspections.

Site is www.pro-spect.biz >> let me now what you think

btw, I know that NACHI isn't linked yet>>>it will be soon.

RonK

Originally Posted By: ecrofutt

Chris’s price sounds good for what he offers if you can afford it and need all that stuff.

Because of limited time, I only offer one caveat and three tips at this time.

CAVEAT: Make sure your domain name is registered in YOUR name! An HI wrote me asking a question about web sites. I did a WHOIS search on his domain name, site developed by Professional Equipment for him, and the domain name was registered to PE not the HI. Never did hear if he got it back from them.

TIP Read the Web Site How To message in this forum.

TIP Use the following searches to locate:
"Home Inspection Directory"
"Home Inspector Directory" Some of them will let you add a listing for free.

"Free Search Engine Submission" Use them all!

TIP DON'T pay for Search Engine submission or listing on any HI directory. If you can afford this, you can afford to have a professional develop your web site and promote it.

Erby Crofutt
B4U Close Home Inspections
Georgetown, KY
www.b4uclose.com

Originally Posted By: rwills

Ronk, Nice website! Question! any chance of setting a price,and offering your CD’s to other inspectors? could be another moneymaking avenue for you! Just a thought!

All: Is it me,or is my previous post not showing up? it seems the same tips are being repeated over and over! ![icon_question.gif](upload://t2zemjDOQRADd4xSC3xOot86t0m.gif)

Bob

Thanks for the comment on the website. Like I said Chris did the design work and I added the verbage. The report download feature worked well this week, were the buyer and agent needed the reports quickly due to a deadline. I scored bigtime points with the Realtor. I promise that all reports will be uploaded within 12 hours of the inspection. I plan on doing a marketing campaign to get the word out to all the agrents in my area as I am the first to be offering such a service. As for the CD's, they consist of information that I found online and created pdf's files for, things like maintenance tips, how to prepare your home for an inspection, how to choose an inspector, etc. They are easy to put together.

Ronk

I found a good free pdf software if anyone needs to create pdfs.

Originally Posted By: Ed Porter

Ron,

I am VERY impressed with your website and your choice of verbage.

Nice job!

Did you design your own logo? That is the only thing I have been struggling with is a logo that captures what I do and looks professional.

Yours does a great job. If you had it done professionally, please let me know who did it. (Via e-mail or response here.)

Ed Porter

Cornerstone Home Inspection Services

Grand Haven, MI

Ed

I did the logo myself. I just played around with MS-Word one day, tried different fonts and symbols. Took me about an hour. I like it because it is simply and to the point. Now I plaster my logo on everything, reports (every page), letterhead, flyers, website, shirts, soon on truck, etc. If you need any help developing your logo, let me know.

RonK

Originally Posted By: ismetaniuk

This membership was a big waste of my time!

Igor

Top To Bottom Inspections

Glen Spey, NY

Hi Guys,

If any one needs LOGO design or general illustration, my wife is a free lance graphics designer ( very reasonably rates ), if you want email her direct. Please do not email me as I cannot draw anything other than a pint !

GC-BEAUMONT@MSN.COM

Oh by the way her name is Cherie Beaumont.

--
Gerry Beaumont
NACHI phone 484-429-5466

Originally Posted By: jmyers

Chris,

Nice list of features. Same price that I pay for Go Daddy. Hmmmm....maybe I will try it out sometime.

Do you provide both side of mail service or just outgoing?

Joe Myers

Originally Posted By: Joe Wright

Ronk,

Nice looking website. Just wanted to let you know I caught a typo in the fees section “Fees are payable at the time if the inspection”. Just thought you would want to know.

Joe

Originally Posted By: ismetaniuk

This membership was a big waste of my time!

Igor

Top To Bottom Inspections

Glen Spey, NY

Igor

I know that I am a terrible speller. If I offered $15 for every typo found in my work I would be broke. To me spell checker is the best thing to come along since bottled beer. BTW Joe, thanks for pointing out the error on my site.

RonK