My Web Site.

Originally Posted By: rstephens
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Hello fellow inspectors. I am finally a member, and I now have my site up, yet I still have a lot of work to do to the site. I would like some input on the site as to what I can improve on the site. Also all you guys still on dial up let me know if it is slow to load. I have cable and I cant really tell about the load time for dialup users. Now I have one rule on your comments you must be honest no matter how brutal…

www.tristatehomeinspections.com

Originally Posted By: jonofrey

Not meant to be inspirational or discouraging but a good first rule of thumb is to never publish or submit a web site as “under construction”. I know it’s hard to do when you are excited about what you are creating but try to resist the temptation.

Inspection Nirvana!

We're NACHI. Get over it.

Thank you yea I know but I officially have not started promoting the site at this time. I posted it to mainly to get response from members to see what they think. I am not very good a web site building.

Originally Posted By: rwills

Russell,

I think the site looks pretty good. I do agree with John though, Lose the “Under Construction” message! You have enough info there to do without it! Just work on it every chance you get, that’s the fun part of it. You can upgrade and change it at will. Good Luck, Bob W.

Thanks guys consider it done

Originally Posted By: Nick Gromicko

http://www.nachi.org/coollinks.htm

I will add some of those links tomarrow thanks for the tip.

Originally Posted By: Chris Morrell

Russell,

They say a picture is worth a thousand words, so I've sketched out a few changes that would make your site look, in my opinion, 100x better. I've not changed your design much, just illustrated ways to make your design work better. (Give it some time, I've had to leave the quality somewhat high so that you can see the images. The 2 images here should take approx 5 sec. each to load. The bigger images will take approx 11 sec. each to load).

Here's your original site:
![](upload://2fGOxORl7T3clWJ501wa0ngomvV.gif)
Bigger: http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/tristate_old_big.gif

Here's your site after my suggestions:
![](upload://tpjOMg1Q1FtGZAMF2TE3YJOI0pI.gif)
Bigger: http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/tristate_new_big.gif

Here are my 5 comments (marked on the image):

1. Let people know what page they're on by highlighting it differently than the other menu items. This is often done with "tabs," but in this case, simply setting that menu item's background to white makes it appear to be part of the current page, rather than the menu.

2. Use rollovers (or even better, CSS hovers) to make your menu items highlight when you put your mouse over them. That lets people know that they're clickable, and makes your site easier to navigate. Also note how I changed the text to white. This is much more readable.

3. Effective use of images is a must. The car really stands out and makes you look at what's next to it. Don't use too many images, but instead use them to draw the reader's eye to where you want them to look.

4. Get yourself a logo to incorporate into your header. It looks much to bare currently. Also, I'd recommend dropping the current image you have in your header, and using the one lower in your original page.

5. Because your index page has very little text (this isn't a bad thing), drop the NACHI logo & description to the bottom of the page. This is a natural place for people to see this kind of information. They'll acknowledge your affiliations without being distracted by them. After all, your promoting yourself, not NACHI.

A few more comments:

1. You're currently using images to display all of your plain text menu items. This just makes your site load slower, and makes it less accessible to those who use a screen reader or text-only browser.

2. Your page is currently "fixed width" which means that it will remain 770 pixels no matter the size of the viewer's browser window. A typical browser window is going to be 800 by 600 pixels, which means you'll have at least 30 pixels of white space on the right hand side of your page. As you can see in the picture above, it's even more on my screen. This is also an issue for smaller screens. All Macs have a default browser width of 470 pixels, which means that almost 40% of your page won't be visible.

3. Your site is built with tables. Though this is the current standard, I would recommend that any new designs be done with CSS. This will half the load time of your site. It will also ensure that your site looks good on old, current, and future web browsers, as well as handheld devices, et cetera. This is a major undertaking, though. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

4. I would also suggest adding "alt" tags to each of your images. These are an accessibility must, and will improve your search engine visibility on Google. Alt tags describe the image. They also are what determines the tooltip that pops up over images when you hold your mouse over them. Google gives the text in these tags a lot of weight, so by putting "Tri-State Home Inspections, serving..." as your alt tag for your logo, you're improving your search engine ranking for the words in that tag, and also describing the image.

I'm sorry that this was a little long-winded. I just thought it might be helpful to others as well. Your site is quite nice as it is. I think by even making some of the changes I've suggested you can make it even nicer.

Good Luck!

--
Chris Morrell
Director of Information Technology
http://www.nachi.org/

![](upload://84yDKtGxVGhhqbTRj6AsGlTT7aZ.html)

Hey chris i really appreciate it I will work on the changes tonight to see if I can improve it some. I will try to use frontpage this time to see if I get better results.

Originally Posted By: rking

Chris,

You really don't have any clue about these things do you? ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif)

Now we all know why the NACHI website works so well, keep up the good work, and advice!!!!

PS Is that sarcasm emoticon coming anytime soon, I really could have used it on this post

--
Muskoka Home Inspections
"Wisdom is the Anticipation of the Consequences"
Steering Committee Member At Large

Russell,

Use anything but frontpage. It produces the TERRIBLE code. Your average page created in frontpage will only look good in internet explorer, and will probably take at least twice as long as the same page made using other methods. The absolute best method is to hand-code everything, but that can't always be done. The next best thing is to use Macromedia Dreamweaver. Whatever you do, Don't use frontpage. Ever.

Robert,

It's only my job -- it's not like I have to know about it. Years of design experience certainly hasn't helped. (Imagine Robert's "sarcasm" emoticon here).

P.S. - If you find a good emoticon that shows sarcasm, I can add it to our board. Right now ![icon_rolleyes.gif](upload://iqxt7ABYC2TEBomNkCmZARIrQr6.gif) is the best we have.

--
Chris Morrell

Originally Posted By: jburkeson

Webmaster wrote:
The absolute best method is to hand-code everything, but that can't always be done. The next best thing is to use Macromedia Dreamweaver.

Russell,

This link will take you to my homepage that Chris designed, he built a custom editor so that I may change the content as needed.

Chris also created a database so that my customers can log-in and download their report. My customers and I am very pleased to say the least.

Regards - Joe.

--
Joseph Burkeson, RPI (Hooperette)

?Anyone who has proclaimed violence his method inexorably must choose lying as his principle.?
~ Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Originally Posted By: Nick Gromicko

Chris, you’re awesome!

But I tell you that every day.

Nick

Looks great Well chris I will not use frontpage. I guess I will code it by hand I was just trying to save some time but hey I guess it takes time for one to look good. Thanks for the imput guys I love the help.

In nerd-talk, website quality is a function of many variables. These include time, experience, skill, tools, et cetera. If you don’t have much experience in design, and thus haven’t built up the skills yet, time becomes a major factor. It’d probably take me 30-45 minutes to turn my sketch into a real site. It might take you a day or two. Work from the general to the specific (ie. get the major elements such as the header, navigation bar, and content area layed out before you worry about the colors of you menu text, and the font of your content), and you should be fairly successful. http://www.webmonkey.com is a great online resource for web design, if you’re interested.

Chris Morrell

Originally Posted By: John Davidson

I’m a programmer and I keep thinking it would be a good idea to set up a database driven website for all users. Basically, it would be a web site that you could pass an ID, passed from your URL, to and it would create a website about you. The site would all look similar for everyone but it would have a different info. It could be part or www.nachi.org or external. I have ideas and database design in my head. Would anyone be interested in the idea? Basically you would just fill out a form and have a website.

John Davidson

Morton, IL

Thanks for the tips chris I am now learning CSS and it is the s*ht. thanks alot for the help.

John,

Such a system is already in the works, though a somewhat more sophisticated version. The sites will not all look the same, for example. There's also an exciting new feature that I can't disclose quite yet ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif)

I do have a question about such a system. I would like to make it very affordable -- let's say $10 - $15 per month. To do that, I need quite a few subscribers. I'd be curious to hear how many NACHI members would be willing to pay $10 - $15/mo. for a website that's very customizable and based on professionally designed templates. Replies here would be fine -- I think I'll put up a poll later.

--
Chris Morrell

Originally Posted By: neil a craig

Chris, I would certainly try it, and that is a good price to offer, it would be nice to be able to add your own pics in a few different places perhaps? and or give us 2 or 3 designs to choose from? not big differences, just like a few different layouts maybe, is this asking too much ?? maybe it’s too late to be typing icon_rolleyes.gif

Neil

Neil,

I'm thinking more in the line of 10 customizable templates -- you choose the template, the color scheme, and the font scheme. Then you add your logo, business name, pics, et cetera.

--
Chris Morrell

![](upload://29RFwKwYEO6odI9UTxNGYBTPh8v.html)