Well Flow Contract

Hello everyone- Just curious for those who do well flow testing, where did you find your template for a contract or did you just have your attorney draw one up? Also do you provide a waiver to the homeowner for them to sign off on? I haven’t provided this service as of yet but didn’t find anything here. Thanks for the help!

JMHO, but I don’t see much value in the limited service, and not worth the $$$ to have my attorney draft a contract for my use.

How difficult is it to hold a watch, and aim a hose into a bucket?? Anybody can Google how to do it and save the coin.

3 Likes

I use this. I only test when asked or if there is a concern. I just put it in the report under plumbing. No separate agreement.

3 Likes

Thanks Jeff- I don’t necessarily disagree with you at all on the value or difficulty but every inspector in my area offers that service. Also if people want to spend their money on it than I guess it’s an option. I kind of feel the same way about radon.

1 Like

Thanks Walter!

1 Like

I forgot to ask Walter, where did you find that? Thanks

The test results will depend on the pipe size and configuration from the well to the testing point. You can have adequate flow from the well pump and lousy flow inside the home. Typically the well driller records the well flow rate in Gallons Per Minute (GPM) at the time the well was drilled. In Missouri this information is recorded at the Wellhead Protection Section at the Missouri Department of Natural Resources (DNR). I personally don’t provide this service because flow at the well and inside the house is comparing apples to oranges.

2 Likes

I initially ordered it from a plumbing supply warehouse but cancelled the order when after a week it had not shipped. I resorted to

I got this at same time. It has adapters to test at shutoff valves at sinks.

Agreed. However if I can accurately state the pressure at fixtures that gives the client something to go off of. I test for flow and pressure at a hose bib where 3/4” pipe is present. I also check with my state well log for any reports a well digger may have submitted but those are generally lacking.

Just be aware good pressure at the faucet does not infer good water flow.

1 Like

I have a strong background in wells and water treatment. Running a hose from a spigot into a bucket tells you nothing other than the fact that water flow exists. There is a pretty long and involved flow and yield test, but that has to be run from the well head.

1 Like

But that tells you nothing about what’s going on in the house. If I record low pressure or flow in the house that’s all need to know to refer it out.

All I need is a spaghetti pot to determine that.

2 Likes

Here, many hose bibs are branched off before the pressure regulator (so if you measure that, you are getting the municipal pressure).

I do not do wells or inspect many homes with wells, but is that also an issue for a well flow test? Could pressure after the bladder be different than pressure before the bladder?

I guess, IMO, what happens inside the home at fixtures is what really matters.

80% of my homes are on private wells.

2 Likes

Being in a rural area, many of the homes I inspect are on wells. I or the RE agent refer well testing to the well companies. Less responsibility and liability on me.

My house is on a shared well that services 6 homes. 3 that are elevated 250 to 300’ above the other 3 are below, including mine. 2 of the 3 uppers are occupied full time. I’m the only full timer on the lower level. Water pressure and flow varies all the time based on who’s “in” and what they are doing.

But on a side note, we can notice the change in flow/pressure, but it’s not that much. The only problem we have is when neighborhood power goes out along with the well pump. Fortunately, being at the lowest grade level, we still get gravity flow for a while…

2 Likes

I do not have a separate contract for flow tests. I do them all the time and disagree with you naysayers about the value of them. I’ve found pump failures, and undisclosed production limits. Yesterday, I found that the Pump Saver switch was turning off the pump at a vacant property. Running the bathtubs for an extended period would have found that, but I never run tubs that long. Whether the Pump Saver is doing its job or defective is good to know, but finding it before the buyer moves in provided them with valuable information.
I have a disclosure in my flow report. Here it is…
This test measures relative (functional) flow rate over time. The flow rate is based on piping, hose diameter, etc. This test does not uncap the well or examine the pump or system. This test does not measure well capacity, recharge rate, depth of well water, static water level, or draw down rate and level. The flow rate should remain relatively stable and the well should be able to maintain this over the duration of the test.

3 Likes

Does anyone have a sample of a waiver for the seller to sign just in case the pump or something else fails while performing a well test?

This is an interesting question. I don’t offer well flow testing but I’m curious for those that do, if you are able to get a waiver signed by the homeowner?

As a homeowner, I would sure be reluctant to sign one. The cost involved to replace a well pump (possibly on a weekend or emergency basis) could approach $3k - $5k depending on type of well and type of pump.

How many gallons or for how long do you run the water in these tests? Is it more than “normally expected runtime” for the home? That could be a consideration if the homeowner comes after you for a new pump.

1 Like