Well flow testing/septic dye testing

I’m looking to start up my own home inspection business with just myself in Pennsylvania. Everything i have read and studied and i still have no idea how to do a well flow test or septic dye test, maybe im over thinking all of this but if someone could tell me how they go about conducting these tests would be greatly appreciated. thank you. I cant find any regulations or anything about how to conduct a well flow test in pa. Do i need to actually purchase a pump to do this test or am i simply finding the closest water source to the well and doing a GPM test?

Welcome Nicholas! Go to the magnifying glass symbol at the top right of the page. Click on it and type in “Well Flow Testing” It will prompt for “all categories”. Click on that and a lot of prior threads will pop up. Those may help you some what. Also, maybe some members will bring you some advise on this thread.

Good Luck!!

2 Likes

What’s your experience, training, etc.?
Best advice would be to ‘master’ the art of inspecting and reporting before ever considering adding ancillary services that you know little to nothing about.
JMHO.

3 Likes

same training everyone else has on here genius. I do understand how to do it, theres no information on what it is required in PA, i can guarantee you theres no home inspector out there doing well yield testing, it requires specialized equipment and training and alot of money.

My, My. One hour in and … boom!

4 Likes

Yup. Typical!

2 Likes

Is this your company? They are doing it. Took 10 seconds to find.

I’m no “genius” like Jeffrey, but first you say you have no idea how to do it and then you say you do? Which one is it? Sounds to me like you are smarter than those that you are looking for advice from.

Best of luck. You are going to do great!!!

3 Likes

Don’t think so…

1 Like

IMO testing well flow rate like the company Brian listed is a waste of money. Too many variables from the aquifer recharge rate to the flow rate at the sink in the house. Pump wear, changes in the water table, plumbing configuration plus potential electrical issues. Predicting a failure in advance is like playing the lottery.

8 Likes

I would take the advice of Jeffrey if I were you. I offer lateral sewer scopes and septic system inspections, but I have a Licensed Plumber who does them all for me. And although we may only inspect 7 to 10 septics a year, there are different types of systems and different ways these systems work, and I certainly wouldn’t want to find myself in court being sued for a septic system because it passed a dye test.

I would also recommend to verify that your E&O covers these systems if you do plan on inspecting them.

3 Likes

I think you guys scared the OP away. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

JJ, It is apparent one must gently stroke the ego, starting lightly at the edges moving slowly inward as not to cause any discomfort. Then, you must ask permission prior to making any sudden moves. Or, well the results are instantaneous; the OP spits out the pacifier and wales.

1 Like

David Wigger you are the man of the hour

My, My. One hour in and … boom!

Love it

Well, the Xmas party is only 11+ months away. We’ll get an update then. :crossed_fingers:

5 Likes