Well guess we’re running out of copper again

5 Likes

Info:

Copperweld ® Building Wire is a Copper-Clad Aluminum (CCA) bimetallic conductor

2 Likes

You can barely see the aluminum at the cut ends of the EGC.

2 Likes

It’s permitted but only time will tell if it ends up problematic like the old aluminum from the 70’s. I wouldn’t use it in my house.

7 Likes

I have seen this several times here with DR Horton homes.

Color code is different too. (as you show)

The conductors are a full size larger. (12 gauge looks like 10 gauge)

I have a warranty inspection on a DR home this weekend. I will make a note to look for that here.

Speaking of colors:
Chinese NM cables - Specific Inspection Topics / Electrical Inspections - InterNACHI®️ Forum

Color coding for cable jackets is actually sensible for these CU-AL cables. At least they tried to make life easier for inspectors unlike some other cable companies.

White for 15 amps(12 awg solid), Yeller for 20 amps(10 awg solid), Orange for 30 amps(8 awg stranded, looks exactly like a black 8 awg romex copper)

So you’d just go by the same colors when you want to run the same circuits as you did before with solid copper.

NACHI SoP has this requirement. What are we to do with this?

1 Like

Copper Clad is not usually “readily visible”. An inspector has to actually be paying attention and looking for it, and is typically only found in newer construction homes, so… proceed at your own risk?

1 Like

It’s actually pretty obvious when looking at the conductor sizes…
First time I saw it I wondered why the hell they were using 10 g for all the 20 amp breakers, and 12g for the 15s

2 Likes

I stand by my original post above!

2 Likes

Yu: Good catch. Thanks for the heads-up.