Foot thru ceiling anyone ?

Originally Posted By: Phil Avery
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Well, I was quite embarrased yesterday, I was in the attic and was stepping over a refrigerant line and my foot slipped off the ceiling joist and away my foot went, right into one of the bedrooms icon_redface.gif

Anyone else ever done this ? I was embarrased to say the least, but also felt horrible. My insurance will cover it and put it back to it's original condition, but that still doesn't make me feel any better.

Courious to how many others have done this, if any. I hope someone has, so I'm not a lonely "foot thru the sheetrock" man. LOL.

Phil

Originally Posted By: jkormos

S, happens

Oh, I know, I just hate it whe stupid S* happens. Def. could have been worse, I could have been hurt. LOL.

Quite funny, The wife and I were watching a repete episode of the Kings of Queens last night and it showed the guy stuck in between the rafters with wife in the attic talking to him, quite ironic the timing of that show, The wife was laughing her head off.

Phil

Originally Posted By: ecrofutt

I’ve seen several HI’s admit to having done this to varying degrees, some just the toes, some the whole leg so that the equipment catches them on the rafters and one or two all the way to the floor below.

I'm one of the toes guys. The seller occupied the home at the time and wouldn't have been happy with whatever I did even though I could have repaired it myself with a couple of trips and $10.00 in materials.

Instead, I immediately called the SELLER's agent, (a person the seller trusted) explained what happened and asked her to refer a repair guy to fix it. She did. I called the guy and made arrangements for him to do the repair. THEN I told the seller what had happened, explained what was planned to happen and asked her if that would be satisfactory. It was.

A couple of weeks later, I inspected the seller's next home.

Cost me a $150.00. Didn't bother to use my liabiltiy insurance for it.

--
Erby Crofutt
B4U Close Home Inspections
Georgetown, Kentucky

www.b4uclose.com

Originally Posted By: rmoore

Phil…It’s been said that there are two types of Home Inspectors…

Those that have put their foot through a ceiling and those who are about to!

You have simply joined the A-team. ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

Erby...very nicely handled! I'll keep that in mind when my time comes. Thanks

--
Richard Moore
Rest Assured Inspection Services
Seattle, WA
www.rainspect.com

Originally Posted By: bkelly2

I have snapped the trim off an attic hatch in my time but have not stepped through the ceiling yet. I also used a handy man for the repair.

I would think twice about fileing a claim.

I will def. look into paying out of pocket, need to get the quotes in first.

thanks for the replys, I was hoping I was not the only one!

Phil

Originally Posted By: bkelly1

I haven’t fell thru the cieling on an inspection, but while doing electric work…I fell thru the cieling of an old theatre we were working in. Luckily my butt caught me, it was about a 25 feet drop down. Man was by butt sore, couldn’t sit right for 2 weeks.

I have in a home .....

Crawled out of a crawl space into a basement and hit a water line, flooded the basement and paid for that.

Raised blinds to check the window and pulled the blinds down and apid for that.

While raising window that was stubborn I pulled the top of it off and paid for that

I am sure there are more things I have done too. It is just part of it. You do enough of it and it will happen sooner or later. I feel I have learned my lesson and am much safer now after 5 years.

Thanks for the reply ben

Originally Posted By: rsummers

Ive had such bed luck with blinds that I use 2 hands to open them 1 to pull the cord the other to support the frame.

Originally Posted By: mgault

bkelly1 wrote:

While raising window that was stubborn I pulled the top of it off and paid for that

I had a 27 year old window, painted shut but had been trace cut (I could see that it had been) and I thought mayhap I was being a little 'weak' on it. Gave it a couple sharp 'heel of the hand' upward whacks... 3rd time the top of the window (wood) snaps off and falls to the floor. 11 year old girl the room belonged to starts crying.
I wouldn't have tried near as hard but it was the window with the "Child Sleeps Here, Mr Fireman" sticker on it! ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

60.00 to a handyman friend and apologies to the little girl... very embarrassing.

--
-Mike
A to Z Home Inspections, LLC

www.atozhomeinspections.net

Originally Posted By: mkober

My motorcycle riding buddy phoned me one night, saying he had just crashed through the dining room ceiling of his rental house while checking the attic for (recently-activated) swamp cooler leaks. He was still delerious, as his next comment was “well, that would be a great location for a new sky light!” I convinced him his landlord might not want one there, and repaired the ceiling for him the next day.

Michael J. Kober, P.E. and H.I.

"NACHI Member and Proud Of It!"