Wet sheathing on the interior

Originally Posted By: jmichalski
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Monday’s inspection - exterior inspection of roof looked fine. Seller had disclosed that the front section of roof had been hit by a tree and replaced last year. All looked good from the outside…

Then in the attic, I saw the obviously new sheathing (plywood, not the older planks used elsewher eon the roof. Everything looked good...until I looked at the rear sections. Soaking wet on the interior. The sheathing was totally saturated and dripping onto the floor (snow melting was the source of the water).

I noted this in the report and called for an evaluation by a roofer to determine the extent of damage if any, and the repairs that were necessarty.

Seller now says I killed his deal and that I was wrong in my call - the roof was fine according to him. (I think he hasn't seen the report becasue there are photos of the dripping roof sheathing and water stains wicking over to the newly repaired portion.)

Can anyone think of any way I might be wrong about this roof? Maybe I overlooked a way for water to enter and completely saturate the sheathing? I have to say I find it really unlikely, but I was wrong once before (when I was 12), so this might be another freak occurence...

Originally Posted By: dedwards

Normal reaction for you but don’t second guess yourself. The pictures do not lie. If it is wet than it is leaking. That is what you reported and all you did is call for further investigation by a professional. I see it as a good call. What would happen if you did not report it and the buyer gets the fun of finding out the roof leaks. I see roof repairs ALL the time that are half-a$$ and I call it as I see it. I just had a seller accuse me finding faults with his home on purpose…Duh. He had lost about half the shingles during hurricane Ivan and his statement to me was he really didn’t have to fix it to sell it because it wasn’t leaking into the house…yet.

Originally Posted By: jmichalski

Thanks, Doug.

It does make you rethink things, but I really can't think of any other reason the interior would be wet.

In your case, with the roof not leaking yet, I had a similar discussion over a Federal Pacific panel - replacing it after it fails is a little too late!!

Originally Posted By: dedwards

Joseph,

I agree. You do or at least I do sometimes rethink myself. But I tend to be overly cautious anyway. If in doubt call it. Worse case is you might be wrong. But it sounds like to me you did exactly what you should have. I have to laugh sometimes at what people say. “It was working just fine until it quit.” I ususally respond with. “It always does”

Originally Posted By: lwillick

Hi:

In this business you have to tell it like you see it

It is your neck that is on the line

It is better to err on the side of caution then to have a problem in the future.

Carry on with the good work

Regards

larry icon_biggrin.gif

Originally Posted By: rsmith5

Is the sheathing saturated just near the eave edge or all the way to the peak? It may be a water dam from the ice at the eave. If this ice is back up the roof several feet,[when extremely cold for along time] it can leak heavily even two to three feet from the eave.