What brand is this breaker?

Did an inspection yesterday and there was no label on the service panel. Could not see a brand on the breaker either. Does anyone recognize this circuit breaker?

That’s a commercial circuit breaker which shouldn’t be used in residential applications.

How do you know that it’s a *commercial CB *and if it is why can’t it be used?

Kinda looks like a bryant

It’s orange. Commercial breakers aren’t approved (in my neck of the woods) for residential applications, and since insurance companies know that, they won’t issue insurance until it’s been replaced with a residential breaker.

Whenever I find those lovely orange breakers, I’ve always found that the owner, or a relative/friend, works on a new construction project and feels free to bring stuff home from the construction project to help his relative/friend.

Several years ago I did an inspection on a flipped property. I noted a new commerical breaker in a residential panel in addition to no serial numbers on any of the appliances (furnace, water heater, fridge, range, etc.). Since the flipped property was just a couple of blocks from all the work going on in the East Village with the building of Petco Park and the renovation of many neighborhoods (Golden Hill, North Park, South Park, East Village), someone (not me) notified authorities. The flipper was a construction worker and had been stealing stuff from various construction sites throughout the neighborhoods.

I’m not sure why you would classify it as a commercial breaker. This is original equipment in a standard residential panel.

I don’t recall the brand (but I tend to lean toward Bryant), but I see these very often. Usually on homes built in the 60’s or early 70’s.

Typically what you would see for a PURE commercial application is 3-phase. Keeping in mind that this is not a 3-phase example but also keeping in mind that their is nothing wrong with single phase equipment being used in residential and/or commercial as long as the AIC ratings are in compliance with the available fault current of that establishment.

The shear color of the breaker itself means nothing in this case. So I would have no problem with this breaker in a residential or where applicable a commercial application as well… but again I hate doing inspections via pictures…lol

However, since I only see (3) conductors coming in and not meeting the marking requirements of the grounded conductors I can also beg to ask…where is the GEC in this application as it appears to be the Service Disconnect and OCPD as well. So I would figure on a GEC at this location unless other details are missing.

Ofcouses I guess it could also be in the meter or at another location on the supply side…simply dont know by this picture.

I see no reason why you couldn’t use a so called commercial product in a dwelling providing it’s electrical specifications are suitable for the application.

As mentioned this install may have some other problems. The empty screw hole in the neutral bus would indicate that the neutral has not been bonded to the case. The nipple (service raceway) between the meter enclosure and the disconnect appears to have a standard locknut so it may or may not be properly bonded. And as Paul mentioned there is no GEC connection here as well, although it could be somewhere else on the line side of the disconnect.

Robert is 100% correct…let me translate what he just said a little clearer. Lets for forget the forrest for the tree’s.

being worried if this is a commercial disconnect versus a residential disconnect should not overshadow the more serious issues within this example.

I don’t. The electricians and insurance companies here do.

I see them all the time on my commercial inspections but very rarely on residential inspections. I’ve maybe seen 10 in 11,000 inspections over the years.

Down here they only come on homes that have had some work done by the home owner himself, or his family or friends.

But it is a great clue here in my neck of the woods, and I’ve never had an electrician here disagree with me on these commercial breakers. It’s a clue, but since I’m not a licensed electrician, I’ll refer it out to those electricians. I’m sure that if an electrician here disagreed with me, I’d be hearing from some Sellers or others who wanted me to pay the service charge for the electrician.

I don’t either, but then again I’m not a licensed electrician or an insurance company, so I have to defer to them.

So many problems that would seem to be created by a homeowner doing work himself with stolen commercial circuit breakers.

what makes it commercial?..The Color?

I have no problem with you defering it. Just with my experience with UL that color is not the determining factor. It would be the listing of the product, it’s designed use specs and information on the label of this enclosure. If the breaker is 150A and is single phase and your application is single phase…I am sure the electrons could care less what color the breaker is…:wink:

Murray

Never seen that type of breaker before Dale.

And I am kind of puzzled as to why Commercial breakers can’t be used in Residential.
Up here, GE, and Square D pretty much cover all.

My 100 amp panel that is since 1967 needed a breaker last year, and a Commercial Electrician gave me one from the Commercial site in exchange for some I could not use from temporary electrial entrances over the years.
Same difference.
Can Russel explain what the Insurance Companies base their claim on. :slight_smile:

Hi Marcel

Murray-Bryant are common Circuit Breakers in older homes here in the Phoenix area…I see these usually once a month.

Thanks, now I will recognize it when I see one.:slight_smile:

Another one.

Dale, any issues you know of with this type of breaker in the older homes?

I have never seen any issues.

The Orange ones are Murray.