What do you call these? Besides bad idea.

Originally Posted By: rpalac
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Blain,

I'm at risk of making enemies, but let's hope we don't get that idea that I'm trying to do that.

The item I believe he is showing is not a breaker lock. It uses a setscrew and can easily be removed.

A breaker lock used for protection of safety for work practice can have a set screw but must be capable of covering the set screw and not being removed when a lock is inserted into a provision of the unit.
A proper lock-out tag-out uses a key or combination locking device that only the working individual has.

This is not the same as what he is showing.

Since the sixty's these things( as seen in the picture) have been used for the very purpose of deterring someone from turning breakers off like a switch. The intent is not as lock-out/tag-out. If they were used on a commercial job as a safety device for locking a breaker off while some one was working on it. The individual would be written up, and second offense would be removed from my job site. (And I have done that) If OSHA seen this used in that manner, There would be a 5K fine imposed. I have seen it....I do know this for certain.

Bob

Originally Posted By: Bob Badger

Guys this breaker accessory can be used for either locking on or off.

Here is a quote from me earlier.
Quote:
Taking another look at the picture it looks to me like this could be used to lock on or lock off the breaker, nice unit.

And heres a quote from the guy who took the picture.

jonofrey wrote:
Now I know what the hell it is and yes, it could be swung either way.

Yes a plain old cheap breaker lock on device sometimes goes on with a set screw, some just go on with spring pressure.

And yes most Lock out tag out devices are only designed to lock things off.

But some LOTO devices are capable of locking the breaker on or locking the breaker off.

That is what I believe we have here and it was most likely installed to meet the disconnect codes. ![icon_smile.gif](upload://b6iczyK1ETUUqRUc4PAkX83GF2O.gif)

--
Bob (AKA iwire)
ECN Discussion Forums
Mike Holt Code Forum

Originally Posted By: jpeck

roconnor wrote:
jpeck wrote:
Robert ... Those do not "hold the breaker on", the breaker can trip with the handles tied together and held captive, the internal mechanism still trips.

Jerry ... Bob already covered that, and I said it looks like it's "holding the breaker in the on position" ... and it does. You gotta lighten up and maybe not get caught up in semantics so much, cause you are missing peoples points.

Robert,

You added "looks like it's" holding the breaker in the on position. Previously, you asked a question " am not saying it's illegal, but what is a breaker lock doing on an AC circuit breaker in a residential panel, holding it in the on position?", so I answered it.

You need to lighten up also, I was answering your question. You did ask it. We can't read each others minds, we need to post what we mean, otherwise a statement (it's a statement with you added verbiage) becomes a question (as you originally posted it without the extra verbiage).

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

Originally Posted By: roconnor

Jerry … I was questioning what it was doing there. To me it was suspicious.

Robert O’Connor, PE

Eagle Engineering ?

Eagle Eye Inspections ?

NACHI Education Committee

I am absolutely amazed sometimes by how much thought goes into doing things wrong

Originally Posted By: rpalac

Sorry…I don’t mean to be uptight…Gosh typing is a lot different then speaking…

No problems here.....

It is a great subject becuase I use to get fire inspectors up my but trying tell me my men were locking breakers on. They get indignant and I get a little to foward at times.

No mean word meant......

Your right, It is unusual to see it in a residential application.....

Originally Posted By: jonofrey

icon_biggrin.gif You guys are living proof that we can make mountains out of molehills.

But I truly appreciate it!

--
Inspection Nirvana!

We're NACHI. Get over it.

Originally Posted By: jpeck

Down here, it is not unusual because it is used as a lock out for the breaker, saves installing a disconnect at the equipment. Not “common”, but not unusual either.

Jerry Peck

South Florida