What are these and are they legal?

Originally Posted By: kmcmahon
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

They appear to be something that hold the breaker from tripping, but I'm not sure.

--
Wisconsin Home Inspection, ABC Home Inspection LLC

Search the directory for a Wisconsin Home Inspector

Originally Posted By: Mark Dudley

What’s the model of those breakers, I can’t make it out in the pics.

http://www.thehomeforums.com/

Originally Posted By: Kyle Kubs

Kevin,

The pictures are a little hard to see but they look like something that would be used by someone working on an open circuit to prevent the breaker from being turned on. If that is so they have been installed improperly for the wrong reason... to prevent triping due to overloaded circuits. Could be very dangerous. Recommend evaluation by a Licensed Electrician.

--
Those that say it cannot be done should stop interupting those of us who are hard at work, doing it...

Originally Posted By: Mark Dudley

Just FWIW, until the part# is known, many circuit breakers will trip whether they are held ‘on’ or not, for the very reason of keeping them from being held on.

http://www.thehomeforums.com/

Originally Posted By: rmoore

Kevin…

They are QO1LO
LOAD CENTER QO HANDLE CLAMP

http://ecatalog.squared.com/fulldetail.cfm?partnumber=QO1LO#docs

They can hold the handle in the ON or Off postion depending on which way they are installed. Yours are holding the breakers ON which has to be wrong unless there is something very "special" about the panel.

--
Richard Moore
Rest Assured Inspection Services
Seattle, WA
www.rainspect.com

Originally Posted By: kmcmahon

This was a commercial application. The circuits they protect are for the store’s computers, and night lighting/security. I can see why they don’t want them to trip, but it still seems a hazard to keep them in the “on” position.

Thanks for the feedback guys!

Kevin

--
Wisconsin Home Inspection, ABC Home Inspection LLC

Search the directory for a Wisconsin Home Inspector

Originally Posted By: Kyle Kubs

Mark is correct that “depending on the breaker itself” it “should” trip anyway internally even if the handle can’t move… In this instance they are likely just in place to keep someone from turning off the computers by accident… - Just need to check the breaker model to be sure…

Those that say it cannot be done should stop interupting those of us who are hard at work, doing it…

Originally Posted By: rmoore

Mark Dudley wrote:
.... many circuit breakers will trip whether they are held 'on' or not, for the very reason of keeping them from being held on.

If that is true for Square-D QO breakers (and it makes sense...although I can't seem to find that info on the Square-D site) ) then I can see the logic of having them "locked on" in a commercial application to protect the computers from inadvertant shut-off. Looks like they would be a pain to reset if they did trip though.

added a little later...

AHA!...

After further searching, I just found this on the Square-D site....

Quote:
Handle can be locked in OFF (O) or
ON (I) position. If locked ON (I),
attachment will not prevent circuit
breaker from opening if tripped by
circuit conditions or by pressing
Push-to-Test button.

So I guess it's OK.
Cool...I learnt something today. ![icon_smile.gif](upload://b6iczyK1ETUUqRUc4PAkX83GF2O.gif)

--
Richard Moore
Rest Assured Inspection Services
Seattle, WA
www.rainspect.com

Originally Posted By: lkage

rmoore wrote:
Cool...I learnt something today. ![icon_smile.gif](upload://b6iczyK1ETUUqRUc4PAkX83GF2O.gif)

Me too.

Thanks for the research Richard.

--
"I have never met a man so ignorant that I couldn't learn something from him."
Galileo Galilei

Originally Posted By: roconnor

Breakers are required to trip in an overload situation even if the handle is locked/jammed in the “ON” position.

A while back someone posted a pic of a breaker with a stick jammed into it apparently to help prevent nuisance trips. It was jammed in the "ON" position, but the breaker was tripped.

Seems like a good "idiot proof" feature of a breaker ... ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)

--
Robert O'Connor, PE
Eagle Engineering ?
Eagle Eye Inspections ?
NACHI Education Committee

I am absolutely amazed sometimes by how much thought goes into doing things wrong

Originally Posted By: loconnor

These breaker holders were used extensively in a mall I worked in. I worked in three seperate stores. Each store manager made it a point to show these to employees. Their purpose was to keep people from “manually” tripping the breaker in the “off” position, to avoid shutting down POS and other computer, and security systems at night, when closing.

Larry

Western Michigan NACHI Chapter

http://www.w-michigan-nachi.org

"We confide in our strength
without boasting of it.
We respect that of others
without fearing it"
Thomas Jefferson