What Is A Thermographer?

[size=3]http://www.infraredtraining.net/thermographer.htm
[/size]

[size=3]What is a thermographer?[/size][size=3]
[/size]
A thermographer is a thermal evaluator and imaging expert. He or she will have a solid understanding of heat transfer laws, thermal dynamics and properties of why objects are hot or not or appear to be hot or not.

A thermographer is a person who uses an Infrared Camera and his or her knowledge of the     subjects they look at in combination with other non-destructive testing tools to evaluate     the condition, (good or bad) of any object, subject or body in the world at large today...     as long as there is a thermal difference to be detected. Otherwise objects with the same     thermal radiant pattern or temperature will be invisible to each other.

Like when old Arnold Swartzenegger "fooled" the "Predator" covering     himself with mud, he changed his thermal pattern to match the surrounding     "temperature" of his surroundings and turned himself "thermally     invisible". Eventually the mud would warm up and his "stealth" would     disappear. The old movies where the "Star" looked though the wall to     "see" the bad guy plotting to kill the good guy is not true. Infrared can only     "see" the surface of anything. We see the effect of conduction transfer of heat     from within the object to the surface and make assessment from there.

People choose to be thermographers to be in the lead of exciting new careers and     challenges every day. Thermography is not a 9 to 5 job. Thermography is evolving daily     into new and unusual applications... There are so many areas the same thermal expert can     be involved in, with the exact same thermal camera it offers diversification like no other     career...

[size=3]Thermography Applications [/size]
  • [FONT=Arial]Electrical inspections in buildings, plants, facilities, refineries.
  • Thermal heat loss inspections for buildings, plants, facilities, refineries.
  • Moisture contamination evaluations in buildings, condo’s, plants facilities
  • Concrete integrity inspections
  • Concrete Water Heated floor inspections for leaks and temperature distribution
  • Flat roof leak detection for buildings, plants, facilities
  • Power generation generator inspections.
  • Power Plant boiler flue gas leak detection
  • Substation Electrical inspections, tranformers and capacitor evaluation
  • Overhead urban and rural distribution electrical inspections
  • Electrical motor inspections, mechanical bearing inspections
  • Heat ventilation air conditioning equipment evaluation
  • Cold Storage cooling losses.
  • Refinery process line insulation loss or leak detection
  • Refinery process evaluation
  • Heat exchanger Quality and efficiency evaluation
  • Furnace refractory (insulation) inspections
  • Furnace Internal flame evaluation and tube inspections
  • Flame propogation explosion analysis.
  • Research and development applications
  • Design proto typing evaluation
  • Motor racing suspension and tire contact diagnostics
  • Brake and engine systems evaluation for perfomance and cooling efficiencies
  • Printed circuit board evaluation and trouble shooting.
  • Medical injury examinations for whiplash, back injuries, Carpal Tunnel
  • Diseases evaluation, breast cancer, arthritis and many more
  • Dentistry, tempromandibular jaw disfunction and more
  • Sports injuries and evaluation, and therapy progress
  • Equine (horse) injury examination, stress fractures, lameness
  • Airborne applications
  • Pipeline inspection, leak detection, stress corrosion cracking areas
  • Environmental inspections, pollution dumping, thermal dumping of waste water
  • Fire Mapping, hold over fires, fireline and mop-up inspections
  • High Voltage Aerial Electrical inspections for transmission lines
  • Search and rescue
    *]**Covert surveillance **[/FONT]

An expert that has had 16 hours of training.

Kind of like a certified master inspector that has had 150 hours of breathing air.

What the heck !!!

THAT…was funny !!!

LOL

Mic

I agree very funny but also reality; amazing how easy to become an expert overnight:shock:

How about an expert witness??

rlb

I became an expert at inspecting stairways in 10 minutes: www.nachi.tv

Gee you know these I think are many of the same people and they said many things about the CMI a while ago.

Not it looks like they are now jealous of those who have bought an IR Camera and getting familiar with the workings and how great IR Cameras are.
I wonder what they will make fun of next.

I wonder what they will think of them selves after they have purchased an IR Camera.

…Cookie

Well said, Mr Bell. I’d give you a few greens but I can’t. Maybe someone else will.

The designation “certifed” has lost value for me unless it is a from longstanding professional association that operates by industry concensus or by statute… not one of the walk-in or drive-through varieties!!!

HO! HUMMMM!
This is just a continuing action by another of the CAHPI gentleman who figure that The National Certification is the only way to go.
They of course have no where in Canada to post since CAHPI shut down their Bulletin Board so they are forced to come to the NACHI BB to find out what is going on in Canada .
Then they have the nerve to insult our training .
This is the same group who would not even answer the NACHI offer of a free booth at the NACHI Conference
. This is the same group who would not offer to NACHI what they offer to ASHI to come to the Conference at CAHPI members rates .
SO sorry they feel they have to come into our home and insult our way of doing things .
NACHI is open to all CAHPI is closed to all.
Brian you have much knowledge but a small mind to come into our home and insult us.
You should be ashamed of your self violating our hospitality this way .
It is wrong and not deserved or needed

…Cookie

Nick, I can’t believe you would call yourself an expert with that 10 minutes of training where one would only retain 60% learning retention to begin with and you did not take your eyes off Paige Peters the whole time.

Now quick, quick, what is the maximum riser height for a commercial building?

6"
7"
7 1/4"
7 1/2"
7 3/4"

Now remember, you can’t ask Gerry and Dale. ha. ha. :wink:

Marcel :slight_smile: :wink:

Roy I purchased my camera before you did an by no means do I consider me an expert in IR only through CE and OJT would I ever consider the thought.

When you received your electrical license did you tell everyone that you were an expert electrican with in the first six months I would hope not. The word expert is not needed here on this BB totally out of place for the most part with perhaps the exception of Decker

At our building science class, our instructor said the learning curve to understand the IR camera was very short, compare to learning building science.

The level II and level III Thermographers in the room said they were COMPLETLY lost when the course starting going over ALL the aspects of a building.

They all agreed that an infrared camera in the hands of a Level III Thermographer would be useless in analyzing a building.

Only a qualified and trained home inspector can make his tool work properly. The IR camera is only a tool, but it is the person’s knowledge of buildings and their systems that makes the expert.

Give a new saw to a master carpenter and he can make it do wonders. Give a new saw to an idiot and he will be dangerous… :slight_smile:

;):wink: :wink:

So…you heard about me tryin’ to fix my car eh!:wink:

Mic

Hy Charlie
I have no idea where or why the Word expert ( Except NICK with his stair Comment ) got into our conversation .
My disagreement is with Brian A. MacNeish , Brian who comes unto the NACHI site and Makes fun of the NACHI members and our training .
I feel it is wrong he is also pushing the New Canadian National Certification as the only way to go.
You I and many more support this BB and it upsets me when None paying Home Inspectors ridicule the NACHI Home Inspector .
My words where ("and getting familiar ") I am far from an expert and have never said I was an Expert Electrician.

Thanks … Cookie

Quote: Originally Posted by rcooke Gee you know these I think are many of the same people and they said many things about the CMI a while ago.

Not it looks like they are now jealous of those who have bought an IR Camera and getting familiar with the workings and how great IR Cameras are.
I wonder what they will make fun of next.

I wonder what they will think of them selves after they have purchased an IR Camera.

…Cookie

John, you are absolutely correct, when I took the building science course we had many students who where already level 1 certified but had trouble with building science.

I told Scott Wood that after receiving an 88 on the final exam that I felt I could have done better, his response was the level one guys had just as much difficulty with the science as I did with the theory.

Roy John M was the one that brought the word expert into play post # 1 Nick was just following his lead with the stairs. My statement was just basically concerning the idea of after 6 months of training using the word expert. A true expert in any field does not have to make that statement it is his actions that count. Yes I know you never stated you were an expert electrican I was just using that as an example. Yes I do support NACHI and I just ignore the ones that don’t.

Roy:

Here are a few quotes from INACHI members:

“An expert that has had 16 hours of training”

“Kind of like a certified master inspector that has had 150 hours of breathing air.”

“I agree very funny but also reality; amazing how easy to become an expert overnight:shock:”

“How about an expert witness??”

These were very cynical cuts at the various processes that are “Certifying” persons in short periods of time.

My statement:
“The designation “certifed” has lost value for me unless it is a from longstanding professional association that operates by industry concensus or by statute… not one of the walk-in or drive-through varieties!!!”

This was a general statement aimed at the building/ HI industry in general. Some of the franchisors train an inspector in less than 2 weeks and they become “system” certified. Would you consider that a “high standard”. To become a CET (certified engineering technician) here takes 2-3 years of formal and job training. That has credibility to me.

Get this industry operating smoothly on the same standards for at least 2-3 years and then it would have more credibility also.

I stand by my statements why should you a non NACHI member come into our home and Brag about what training we should have .
I still say you should be ashamed of your self.
If you are not satisfied with what is going on in Canada then lobby your associations to do some thing about it .
Tell me who does the training in your Group.
Tell me what has your Group done for the Home Inspection industry.
Your group had ridiculed NACHI from the get go.
NACHI is growing in Canada and continues to have training at reasonable prices for all home Inspectors .
Your group charges huge amounts for training and it is done by
part time home inspectors.
How about cleaning your own association before you come into our home telling us what we are doing wrong.
How about showing us where you get your Facts about the CMI from and what they are .
Tell us what are your facts about IR training and where you got this information.
I am not trying to say NACHI is perfect but by far it is better then any thing else out there.
NACHI has an open door to all policy why not get your association to do the same.

A proud NACHI member…Cookie

</IMG>

If NACHI has an award for the best line of the year, I nominate John for this one.

That statement fits so many situations in life, but in our industry, it certainly suits those who try to be ‘experts’ without proper training and experience.

Well said, John.

Bill Mullen