What is the best heavy duty digital camera?

Originally Posted By: gwiggins
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I now am using a Kodak DX4330 digital camera. The DX4330 is easy to use and and download with Kodak’s easy share dock system but is tempermental to the dirt and dust. I also have some trouble turning the camera on and off with the small knob on the camera because of my big fingers. I would appreciate any suggestions or comments as to what others are using before I make my next purchase.

Originally Posted By: sspradling

Gabriel, I use an Olympus C-700 witha 128mb card. It’s a huge step from my 35mm. I also have a spare set of batteries an a monster charger. No regrets.

Stu.

Originally Posted By: gjohnson

I use the Olympus C-4000, it is a great camera and not to bad priced. I got my refurbished off e-bay and have nothing but great things with it. Even the refurbished carried the same warranty as a new one.

Gary (Snicker’s) Johnson - Free NACHOS

The NACHI Foundation

Executive Director

301-591-9895

Originally Posted By: dsmith1

Don’t think you need a heavy duty camera. There are lots of inexpensive cameras that take good enough images for home inspections. My theory is buy two smaller, cheaper cameras and you’ll have a spare if you drop it off the roof into a puddle or one just dies. For two years now I’ve been using a Fujifilm Finepix A201 with a USB connection. I take about 50 to 80 pictures on an inspection depending on the condition of the house. There is nothing like a photo to protect yourself. Its easy to prove that a room was full of storage, there was no mold, the roof was covered with snow ect. at the time of the inspection.

Originally Posted By: jedwards

gjohnson wrote:
I use the Olympus C-4000, it is a great camera and not to bad priced. I got my refurbished off e-bay and have nothing but great things with it. Even the refurbished carried the same warranty as a new one.

Heh... I just picked up a Fuji A210 for $179 at Circuit City (with free 64 meg card-- several hundred shots at 640 x 480) so I won't have to drag my beloved C4000 into any more crawls. Nice thing about the Fuji is the sliding lens cap-- I'm kinda A-R about protecting the lens, and the Olympus' loose cap can be a pain when you're working. One thing I don't like about the Fuji is the unprotected USB and video-out jacks on the side. I'll keep a piece of black tape over them on the job.

The C4000 is a great camera, indeed. They only provide the complete reference manual on CD, since it's several hundred pages long. Just yesterday I saw them on closeout at Wally Mart for $279. Called a buddy to tell him, and two hours later he owned one. Killer deal at that price.

--
John Edwards
Assurance South, LLC home page
Pre-Paid Legal Services

Originally Posted By: gjohnson

I agree. I am still reading the manual on mine trying to figure everything out in it. I just got some different lenses for it. Going to play with different shots over the next couple of weeks and stuff.

Gary

--
Gary (Snicker's) Johnson - Free NACHOS
The NACHI Foundation
Executive Director

301-591-9895

Originally Posted By: jedwards

Gary,

What lenses did you get, and where did you find them?

--
John Edwards
Assurance South, LLC home page
Pre-Paid Legal Services

Originally Posted By: jpeck

I also use the Olympus, a 745 with 10x optical zoom.

Also have an extra set of batteries and the Monster charger.

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

Originally Posted By: lschmid

I use the Canon Power Shot 70. Small enough to fit into my pocket, but easy to operate with 1 big hand. Auto - close lens cap, I also got a wide angle lens for whole house photos. Great pictures, easy to download.

Larry Schmid

First Choice Home Inspection,Inc.

South Carolina Chapter President

www.1stchoicehomeinspection.com

A SAFE HOME IS A HAPPY HOME

Originally Posted By: ssmith3

I am using the Olympus D-520 Zoom. This thing was sucking batteries dry faster than I could load them. Then I bought the CR-V3 batteries for it and have not changed them in 2 months. Bought it refurbished off e-bay and it has worked like a champ. I like the sliding lens cover and the fact that the ports are covered. 2 megapixel is way more than enough for this guy.

Scott Smith

Marinspection

Vice President NorCal NACHI Chapter

I graduated from collage. Now my life is all mixed up.

Originally Posted By: dbush

I also use the D520 and think it is the best Digital Camera I have ever owned. It does go through some batteries though.

Dave Bush

MAB Member

"LIFE'S TOUGH, WEAR A HELMET"

Originally Posted By: roconnor

I have a Canon PowerShot S100. About the size of a pack of smokes, stainless steel case, very durable, good quality photos, and real easy to use … true “point and shoot” digital camera.

Robert O’Connor, PE

Eagle Engineering ?

Eagle Eye Inspections ?

NACHI Education Committee

I am absolutely amazed sometimes by how much thought goes into doing things wrong