What is the licensing requirement in Florida for Mold Testing?

“a Mold Assessor license are required to attest that they have obtained general liability and errors and omissions insurance for both preliminary and post remediation mold assessment in the amount of no less than $1 million dollars as determined by statute.”
When the state performs a audit, it will be interesting how many really have the proper insurance.

That’s what I understand too. I interpret the declaratory statement to mean that a Div I contractor is exempt from the MRS rules IF they find mold on a project they are already working on.

There would only be enforcement if a complaint or lawsuit is filed. Not sure how the insurance companies view this, but I would imagine that an untrained contractor doing mold work would create a problem.

…so how is the enforcement on these regs? Equally complicated?----> More than likely non-existent unless someones complains or files suit. Not enough funds to have Mold Assessor Police out there.

I am licensed (in-active)assessor and remediator as well as Div 1 contractor. In -Active because cost for insurance is too high but I will not let go of that license ever, to hard to get now. If you got one you better hold on to it !

ANYONE, licensed or not, can do mold inspections, as long as there isn’t more than 10 SF of mold visible prior to the inspection and they are not calling themselves a licensed mold assessor. Your 12 year old can do it.

OK…how do you know there is less than 10 SF of mold PRIOR to the inspection? Doesn’t it take the INSPECTION to determine the amount of mold present?

The non-licensed person should defer the inspection if it is visually evident there is more than 10 sq ft total.

That Fl guidelines stuff reads like a bunch of Union garbage. What a screwed up mess.

I never understood how a trained knowledgeable inspector should understand all aspects of the home, including building performance, ventilation, drainage, water instrusion, etc.

Then be able to asess a home and document all findings that are precursors to having mold, which is secondary to the actual moisture problem.

but they cant do mold assessments.

Seems almost backwards to me. Also seems like you couldn’t do one without understanding the other.

I looked at a 3500 sf home that was built in 1909 today, for an insurance claim due to a busted water line. I would like to see someone write a protocol on that one. How much mold collects in an old home with a dirt floor basement over a century?

how does the non licensed person know if he is not already inspecting? I am talking a mold test…not a mold test with a home inspection.

How would he get the call in the first place if he is not licensed and not allowed to advertise mold services? I think we are talking about home inspectors.

OK…You see no mold but take an air quality sampling…the spore count comes out to 50,000 spores of Stachybotrys. Now what?

Time to recommend an industrial hygienist with that scenario. That’s what I do…my mold license is inactive right now.

How about just recommending a real Florida licensed mold inspector?

Florida Statute: 61-31.701 - Minimum Standards and Practices for Mold Assessors

(1) The purpose of a mold assessment is to determine the sources, locations, and extent of mold growth in a building and to determine the condition(s) that caused the mold growth.

(3) A visual inspection to identify the presence of visible mold and/or excessive, unplanned moisture intrusion (past and present).

(a) A visual inspection should include all surfaces inside the building, hidden areas where moisture sources may be present, such as but not limited to, crawl spaces, attics, and behind vinyl wallpaper, baseboards, carpets, and wallboard wherever possible.

Mold Inspection (assessment) Report:

(5) An assessor shall prepare a Mold Assessment Report (MAR), **to include a Mold **
Remediation Protocol (MRP), that is specific to each remediation project and provide the MRP to the client before the remediation begins.

(a) The criteria and process used in the post-verification must be documented in writing in the MRP and approved by the assessor and building owner prior to performing the remediation.

The MRP must specify:
(a) The rooms or areas where the work will be performed;
(b) The estimated quantities of materials to be cleaned or removed;
(c) The methods to be used for each type of remediation in each type of area;
(d) The PPE to be used by remediators. A minimum of an N-95 respirator is required during mold-related activities when mold growth could or would be disturbed. Using professional judgment, a consultant may specify additional or more protective PPE if warranted;
(e) The suggested types of containment to be used during the project on each type of mold in particular areas; and

(f) The proposed post-verification procedures and criteria for each type of remediation in each area

**Mold Assessors and Mold Remediators **
Present situation
Currently, there are companies in Florida that hold themselves out to be mold assessors or mold remediator or conduct mold related services. The licensure and regulation of mold-related services are specified in part XVI, chapter 468, F.S., and go into effect on July 1, 2010. This part provides for the creation of a regulatory program in the DBPR. Part XVI creates a regulatory scheme, provides definitions, scope of practice, employment guidelines, continuing education, accountability, rules, licensure, fees, and penalties. There is no professional board.
“Mold assessment” means a process that includes the sampling and evaluation of data obtained from a building history and inspection to formulate an initial hypothesis about the origin, identity, location, and extent of mold growth.3 “Mold remediation" means the removal, cleaning, sanitizing, or demolition of mold or mold-contaminated matter that was not purposely grown at that location.4
3 s. 468.8411(3), F.S.
4 s. 468.8411(5)
Effect of proposed changes
The bill amends s. 20.165, F.S., to expand the statutory structure of professional boards established within the Division of Professions of the DBPR to include a mold services “program” that is not regulated by a professional board.
The bill amends various provisions of the mold services licensing program. It amends s. 468.8413(1) and (2), F.S., to authorize applicants to take the licensure examination without having to obtain prior DBPR approval. The bill amends s. 468.8413(2), F.S., to clarify that a mold remediator or mold STORAGE NAME: h0713e.GGPC.doc **PAGE: **5 DATE: 4/11/2010
assessor must have at least a 2 year associate of arts degree or the equivalent, with at least 30 semester hours in microbiology, engineering, architecture, industrial hygiene, occupational safety or a related field. The bill also creates s. 468.8413(4)(d), F.S., requiring applicants to submit fingerprints for criminal background checks.
The bill amends s. 468.8418, F.S., to eliminate the requirement for businesses offering mold-related services to obtain a certificate of authorization. It amends s. 468.8421(1), F.S., to require insurance coverage of at least $1 million for both preliminary and post-remediation mold assessment. The bill amends s. 468.842, F.S., to provide a disciplinary violation for failing to meet standards of practice adopted by the DBPR.
The bill amends s. 468.8423, F.S., to provide new grandfathering requirements. Qualifications include certification by a state or national association that requires successful completion of a proctored examination for certification and completion of at least 60 hours of verifiable education for an assessor and 30 hours of education for a remediator, or demonstrate three years’ minimum experience as a mold assessor or mold remediator; comprised of 40 invoices for mold assessments or remediation at the time of application.
In addition to one of the foregoing, grandfather applicants must not have had a mold assessor or mold remediator license or a license in a related field, as defined by the bill, revoked at any time, suspended within the past 5 years, or a fine assessed in excess of $500 within the past 5 years.
The bill authorizes the DBPR to investigate validity of invoices and take disciplinary action for filing of false information. Grandfather applicants must comply with the criminal background, good moral character and insurance requirements of this part. Grandfather applications must be postmarked no later than March 1, 2011.
The bill prohibits unlicensed activity enforcement until July 1, 2011.
The bill specifies broad rule making authority of the DBPR to “adopt rules to administer this part.”

Although I am both a licensed/insured Florida home inspector and a licensed/insured mold assessor, InterNACHI put through legislation that exempts home inspectors from having to comply with the provisions related to mold assessment, and that means the mold insurance requirements as well.

Read lines 37-39: http://www.flsenate.gov/Session/Bill/2011/0849/BillText/er/HTML

This was one of the many bets that Russell lost to me.

This was another: http://www.nachi.org/florida-real-estate-professional-continuing-education.htm

I’m still waiting on that money Russell :roll: I think you’re in to me for $1K.

But only if there is less than 10 sq ft of visible mold present in the building. Otherwise the mold inspection must be deferred to a licensed mold assessor.

Is a humidity bloom less than 10 sq ft?
Who wants an HI with 2 sq ft of stacky or chaetomium in 2 different places?
Rules can’t cover every situation, common sense should dictate.

Unfortunately, common sense and rule making in Tallahassee tend to be mutually exclusive.

Nick, first of all I paid $500 of it and we sent it to a guy in Indiana who house got flooded. We agreed on that last year.

I am still waiting for you to come and do a mold test with a high reading and then let me turn you into the DBPR and see what happens. Just so you can defend your ruling.