What is the licensing requirement in Florida for Mold Testing?

Moving to Florida forum for you.

I think one requirement is for one to have his semen sampled by an employee at Pro-Lab … but don’t tell anyone. It’s still a secret, for now. (Private joke).

Now its pretty hard to get one. The grandfathering was rather lenient, but now it is rather hard and not so easy. I will post a link later tonight. You have to have something like a degree or so many years experience…and the biggest one is insurance. My mold insurance cost me about an extra $4000 to my insurance. Man does that suck…

Mold Assessor license requires $1M aggregate E&O with GL, and without a license already in hand, not much sense in looking into it.

https://www.myfloridalicense.com/CheckListDetail.asp?SID=&xactCode=1030&clientCode=0701&XACT_DEFN_ID=13095

Like I said. The insurance is high

I was told the best way to do this was to get home inspector E&O and add the mold endorsement. My premium quote for this was $2100/yr from Will Colten. GL is thrown in automatically.

The insurance is why I did not bother to obtain that license when it was less difficult.

As a CGC, I don’t believe you need a mold license.

A Division 1 contractor(GC, BC, or RC) can do remediation but not act as an Mold Assessor

I guess I can fix just not find. Makes a ton of sense huh :frowning:

Pretty sure they can do the assessment too, but it has to be on a job they are already working on. They can’t hold themselves out (advertise) as a Mold Assessor or a Mold Remediator without the license though. At least that is how I read the declaratory statement.

I do not wish to play with the icky stuff anyhow :slight_smile:

It was my understanding, you can not do stand alone assessments. Remediation would normally fall under a repair or remodel. Here is law(2010) to interpret yourself

468.841 Exemptions.—
(1) The following persons are not required to comply with any provisions of this part relating to mold assessment:
(a) A residential property owner who performs mold assessment on his or her own property.
(b) A person who performs mold assessment on property owned or leased by the person, the person’s employer, or an entity affiliated with the person’s employer through common ownership, or on property operated or managed by the person’s employer or an entity affiliated with the person’s employer through common ownership. This exemption does not apply if the person, employer, or affiliated entity engages in the business of performing mold assessment for the public.
© An employee of a mold assessor while directly supervised by the mold assessor.
(d) Persons or business organizations acting within the scope of the respective licenses required under chapter 471, part I of chapter 481, chapter 482, chapter 489, or part XV of this chapter, are acting on behalf of an insurer under part VI of chapter 626, or are persons in the manufactured housing industry who are licensed under chapter 320, except when any such persons or business organizations hold themselves out for hire to the public as a “certified mold assessor,” “registered mold assessor,” “licensed mold assessor,” “mold assessor,” “professional mold assessor,” or any combination thereof stating or implying licensure under this part.
(e) An authorized employee of the United States, this state, or any municipality, county, or other political subdivision, or public or private school and who is conducting mold assessment within the scope of that employment, as long as the employee does not hold out for hire to the general public or otherwise engage in mold assessment.
(2) T
he following persons are not required to comply with any provisions of this part relating to mold remediation:

(a) A residential property owner who performs mold remediation on his or her own property.
(b) A person who performs mold remediation on property owned or leased by the person, the person’s employer, or an entity affiliated with the person’s employer through common ownership, or on property operated or managed by the person’s employer or an entity affiliated with the person’s employer through common ownership. This exemption does not apply if the person, employer, or affiliated entity engages in the business of performing mold remediation for the public.
© An employee of a mold remediator while directly supervised by the mold remediator.
(d) Persons or business organizations that are acting within the scope of the respective licenses required under chapter 471, part I of chapter 481, chapter 482, chapter 489, or part XV of this chapter, are acting on behalf of an insurer under part VI of chapter 626, or are persons in the manufactured housing industry who are licensed under chapter 320, except when any such persons or business organizations hold themselves out for hire to the public as a “certified mold remediator,” “registered mold remediator,” “licensed mold remediator,” “mold remediator,” “professional mold remediator,” or any combination thereof stating or implying licensure under this part.
(e) An authorized employee of the United States, this state, or any municipality, county, or other political subdivision, or public or private school and who is conducting mold remediation within the scope of that employment, as long as the employee does not hold out for hire to the general public or otherwise engage in mold remediation.

I went with the declaratory statement for mold related services. You decide.

“Pursuant to section 489.105 (3), Florida Statutes,
Contractor means the person who constructs, repairs,
alters, remodels, adds to, demolishes, subtracts from,
or improves any building or structure, including related
improvements to real estate, for others or for resale to
others; and whose job scope is substantially similar to
the job scope described in one of the subsequent
paragraphs of the subsection. Therefore, the Board
hereby issues a declaratory statement that mold
remediation and assessment services are within the
scope of a Division I contractor as long as the the
services are otherwise related to the contractor’s scope
of work. Division II is no addressed with this statement.”

as long as the the services are otherwise related to the contractor’s scope
of work

Then they can not act as an assessor or re-mediator unless they are doing something more.

Effective 1-30-2014
https://www.flrules.org/gateway/ChapterHome.asp?Chapter=61-31

61-31.602 ](https://www.flrules.org/gateway/RuleNo.asp?title=Mold-Related%20Services&ID=61-31.602)

Disciplinary Guidelines

1/30/2014

NORMI has final “Standard of Practice” posted on their site.
Florida is expected to post it any day now.

Changes in reports will effect almost everyone.

I believe those rules only apply to licensed mold assessors and/or remediators. I do not believe that they apply to a Florida Licensed Contractor (Div. 1 of course) when acting within the scope of their Div. 1 license. Of course, I could be mistaken.