What is this and how does it occur?

Is this corosion on the hot and cold water inlets?

Picture 015.jpg

Picture 015.jpg

Picture 014.jpg

Heat traps.

You have two different types of metal, copper and galvanize. When that happens you get what they call electrolysis’s.

please explain further…not sure what this means.

I’m with Gary, electrolysis, aka galvanic corrosion.

Looks like I answered before you completed your original post. I have been having computer problems today after a firewall install.

I was refering to the fittings coming out of the water heater.

http://www.mme.state.va.us/de/figure6-8.jpg

very interesting any idea of cost and are they used very often.
Like the idea never noticed one will look close from now on.

I’m with Gary, electrolysis, aka galvanic corrosion.

… Cookie

Common in my area Roy.
I have used them several times myself. They are also plastic lined to prevent electrolysis.:slight_smile:

That being the case there would be no ground carried threw the Copper pipes.
… Cookie

Not sureI understand Roy. The outer side is galvanized pipe and the copper fitting is in contact with that.

Sorry, Tired did not read the word lined

No apology needed. I thought it must have lost something in translation crossing the boarder.:wink:

Needs a die-electric union Steve.They are needed on both pipes as Mike and Cookie alluded to.

Thanks guys I really appreciate the help. Im always continuing to learn on the message boards.

Some new electric domestic water heaters come with internal heat traps installed. GE is one brand offered through Home Depot up here.

Good info Brian. Thanks. I’ll me on the lookout for them. Are they marked as having internal heat traps in some way?

Info was on the display supplied by manufacturer. Don’t know if it’s marked on the tanks…only had a short look at the display when I was shopping for a new tank for a friend last fall…had to buy and run as I was so busy with the businesses…63 days without a full day off!!!

See: http://www.geappliances.com/smartwater/heaters/ph_elec12.htm

I hope you noted that there is no discharge pipe on the TPR valve in the report.:shock:

Looks to me like those are just galvanized steel nipples - the heat traps have one or more circumferential grooves in their body so you can identify them as traps:

I think I can see two grooves but at least one for sure. The other is obscured. See arrows.

Those DIY connectors have obviously been seeping which they almost always do, sometimes just enough to cause what you see in the picture but not enough probably (yet) to even be wet.
It’s bad enough to connect a female copper fitting to a male galvanized nipple but those connectors are bad news.

A male copper fitting connected to a female steel isn’t near as bad because the threads on a galvanized nipple have no galvanized coating or almost none.
Not that that would be correct either but I’ve seen a lot of dielectric unions corrode much worse.