What is this white stuff?

Hi,
I have a question as to what this white stuff is. It is dry and chalky. It only appears near the opening to the garage. The photo is looking up into the pulldown stair opening. It is an attic over the attached garage. In the garage are an electric water heater, washer and dryer (also electric) and an air handler.

I included a photo and a video but I am not sure if they have uploaded properly.
Thanks.
FYI-it really doesn’t taste like anything

Popcorn ceiling texture overspray?

11 Likes

Joint compound, texture over spray.

4 Likes

Mold is a possibility…

https://inspectapedia.com/mold/Yellow_Mold_Pictures.php

Thanks guys. I hope Ryan is wrong cause this is my house! I have to say it seems overspray makes sense cause there is knock-down texture on the garage ceiling and I just went to look again and the same overspray is evident where the return duct penetrates the ceiling.
cheers!

3 Likes

Not in this case. It is an overspray of some sort.

3 Likes

Agreed, it’s on the wiring and gusset plates as well.

4 Likes

You are probably right. It looks like there may be some on the light bulb as well. That would be an unusual place for mold to grow.

2 Likes

Mold will smear, efflorescence or non-organic material will be crunchy when you lick it.

3 Likes

Yep, I agree with Scott and Michael.

3 Likes

You sure it doesn’t taste a little chalky? :grinning:

2 Likes

No. It is bird poop. They fly through upside down and force a bomb out… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

That’s good info that mold will smear. Nice and easy to remember, plus the “taste test” is well outside the SOP, thankfully.

the ever elusive light bulb mold…

3 Likes

I’d give you a like, but I just got a warning that I have used almost all of my likes for the day. So sorry bout that but you can blame it on NACHI. :grinning:

2 Likes

I gave him one for you, Ryan. :joy:

I ran out of likes during the Christmas party but looks like I’m re-stocked now😉

3 Likes

Dang it, I just gave you one without even thinking. I’m not going to have any left for memes later. Sorry @jjonas .

1 Like

You can run out of likes ? that’s funny stuff right there!

2 Likes

I believe we get 50 per day. Not sure why they are so precious, lol.

Prolly a bunch of em stuck out on cargo ships off shore…

3 Likes