What is this wire called?

Sorry, I need help because my mind is pulling a blank on me. In the photo, see the two breakers that are connected with a short vertical piece of copper wire? What is this called? Thanks…

The NEC calls it a violation. :smiley:

A proper handle-tie should be used or a multi-pole CB.

Yes I agree it’s a hazard/violation, and it also prevented me from removing the panel cover. I’m just trying to remember how to label it in the report. Thanks…

The NEC uses identified handle-tie:

Thank you, Robert. Of course as an inspector I can’t quote code, but it is still helpful in considering how to write the report.

You’re welcome, I usually only provide the NEC sections as a code reference so us sparkies and HI’s are on the same page. :wink:

It’s an improper homemade handle tie.

Why did it prevent removal of the dead front?

Just curious

There is a strip of the dead front between the two breakers. Would have to remove the breaker tie to take off the cover.

So remove the wire, inspect the panel and put the wire back. It ain’t rocket science. :wink:

okay! Honest question. How would that cause a problem? I know it ain’t right however…maybe not trip evenly?

Depending on the load that will need common trip which a handle tie does not offer.

What type of load requires common trip over a handle tie?

I’d note it and move on…Yep!

One that simultaneously feeds both 120 and 240.

MWBC just needs a handle tie as well as a typical straight 240 volt load.

See NEC 240.15

**[FONT=Times-Bold][size=2] 240.15 Ungrounded Conductors.
(A) Overcurrent Device Required. [/size][/FONT][FONT=Times-Roman][size=2]A fuse or an overcurrent
trip unit of a circuit breaker shall be connected in
series with each ungrounded conductor. A combination of a
current transformer and overcurrent relay shall be considered
equivalent to an overcurrent trip unit.
[/size][/FONT][FONT=Times-Roman][size=1] Informational Note: For motor circuits, see Parts III, IV, V,
and XI of Article 430.
[FONT=Times-Bold][size=2] (B) Circuit Breaker as Overcurrent Device. [/size][/FONT][FONT=Times-Roman][size=2]Circuit
breakers shall open all ungrounded conductors of the circuit
both manually and automatically unless otherwise permitted
in 240.15(B)(1), (B)(2), (B)(3), and (B)(4).
[FONT=Times-Bold][size=2] (1) Multiwire Branch Circuits. [/size][/FONT][FONT=Times-Roman][size=2]Individual single-pole circuit
breakers, with identified handle ties, shall be permitted
as the protection for each ungrounded conductor of multiwire
branch circuits that serve only single-phase line-toneutral
[FONT=Times-Bold][size=2] (2) Grounded Single-Phase Alternating-Current Circuits.
[/size][/FONT][FONT=Times-Roman][size=2] In grounded systems, individual single-pole circuit
breakers rated 120/240 volts ac, with identified handle ties,
shall be permitted as the protection for each ungrounded
conductor for line-to-line connected loads for single-phase
[FONT=Times-Bold][size=2] (3) 3-Phase and 2-Phase Systems. **[/size][/FONT][FONT=Times-Roman][size=2]For line-to-line loads
in 4-wire, 3-phase systems or 5-wire, 2-phase systems, individual
single-pole circuit breakers rated 120/240 volts ac
with identified handle ties shall be permitted as the protection
for each ungrounded conductor, if the systems have a
grounded neutral point and the voltage to ground does not
exceed 120 volts.

That is correct my friend. Very common to see that “Cheating” method around here especially on panels in the 80’s. Not correct or allowed but communally done.


Yeap, I would have removed that sucker in a heart beat.

Is that some form of tandem breaker ?
Never saw a joined one in single file before .

no has nothing to do with the tie ]

Tandems not allowed here but still see them however that is a new style to me.

Not a tandem. Just two single poles connected for a common disconnect.