What is wrong with the insolation in this photo?

Hi all, I’m reading the section on moisture intrusion and I have a question about a photo in the text.

The text says the insulation is poorly installed but doesn’t specify why. Can you tell me what’s wrong?

1 Like

A lot is wrong, the batts should have the flange on the side attached to the face of the 2x’s. The electrical wires are compressing the batts limiting their R value. The batts should be allowed to fill the wall cavity for the full R value. Bottom right of picture batts do not go to the base of the wall. I can’t quite make out what it is on my phone but above the metal plate with red/white on it insulation is missing. The hole was incorrectly cut. There might be more but that is what I see.

4 Likes

I think that is a ceiling. R-38 would not fit in a wall. Wiring should have been above the insulation and properly installed not having any gaps anywhere.

6 Likes

Makes sense I didn’t think about the orientation of the picture.

Recessed light can?

1 Like

Vapor barrier is on the wrong side, also. It should be up or none at all.

It can be corrected by scoring it perpendicular to joists every 6" to 8", or so.

2 Likes

What you talking about warry wage. HA HA.

2 Likes

I was thinking it was a basement. :crazy_face:

3 Likes

put Your glasses on Larry …

1 Like

I have glasses? :flushed:

download (1)
You fell into that one.

1 Like

The boss says yes, you do have glasses…now to find them. Oh, she’ll know. :sunglasses:

IMO that photo is a poor example relating to the text in that course.

1 Like

Read the fine print on the bats you’re not supposed to keep it exposed it’s a fire hazard must be covered with a fire barrier

The insulation is being crushed and not stapled to the bottom of the joists/rafters(?).

After I sliced the insulation and tucked the wires up into the insulation, I would tape the slice shut permanently.

1 Like

The insulation flange can be stapled to the outside or inside as per manufacturers instructions.

What geographic location is this? For water intrusion? It may have to do with the kraft paper being pushed in too far past the face and left exposed. The wiring could and should be between the insulation but if this is a ceiling that is open above the insulation i can’t see a problem with reduced r value from compression.
Compression of insulation increases r- value per inch. It decreases the stated r value for the application. Measured in installed inches… Hence why r 19 insulation for 2x6 walls is 6.5 inches thick. If the same 6.5 was installed but not compressed to under 6 inches the r value would be higher
The kraft paper needs to be covered with approved materials or remove the kraft paper.

Hi Simon, I have no idea where this image came from other than it’s in the course.

I appreciate the info you shared! I wasn’t aware of any of that.