What Lab do you use?

I am looking to change labs for mold testing. Looking to get recommendations from all of you. What lab do you use?

Thanks

Greg,
I switched to EMSL about 6 months and have had nothing but good service. They have labs throughout the U.S. When I used the other company I didn’t like the service and the idea of pre-paid samples. I worked out a deal where I get mold air sample analysis for $22 a sample and free overnight shipping. My rep is Jason McDonald in Charleston, S.C. jmcdonald@emsl.com 407-375-9573. It pays to shop around.

I have been using BTS labs. I like them, easy to work with. Just keep my credit card on file and they charge it once a week and send me a statement.

EM Lab P&K

I belong to a network on top of that. As a result my lab results go to a Council-certified Indoor Air Quality Manager (CIAQM), Council-certified Indoor Environmentalist (CIE), and a Council-certified Residential Mold Inspector (CRMI). He sends me a letter of endorsement either recommending or dismissing remediation. It’s $30 per plus the $5 for the air o cells. Swabs are of course free. I know it’s a little high, but it’s worth it. He also handles all my training.

EMSL for formaldehyde

My Industrial Hygienist for mold
Jim Echols at Springfield Indoor Air Quality
(417)823-7427 jim@moldboy.com
He supplies you with the traps and the tapes. He is very reasonable. He usually works Saturdays and Sundays at no extra charge. I like the idea of having the utmost mold expert in Missouri analyzing my samples. These big labs have always made me nervous because you do not know who analyzes your sample. You usually get stuck with talking to a lab technician, who you can tell by talking with them that he/she has no field experience. If I ever have a hard situation, Jim is usually just a phone call or an email away. He likes to be emailed if it is not rel urgent. He has taught me more than all the mold training I have taken combined. A 24 hour turn around sometimes does not happen, it all depends how late he gets back from being out on the field. You need to call him first if you want a 24 hour turnaround on a Wednesday. My clients do not mind waiting when I explain to them that accuracy matters. He can be grumpy sometimes, like we all can be, but I really a great guy. He is in great demand so patience is need sometimes on a return phone call, seldom no longer than an hour. He is talking about hiring some more help.

Thanks for sharing I really appreciate your response.

Ditto all the above. I’m very happy with EMSL. The prepaid sampling really rubbed me wrong also.

I switched to EMSL about 6 months and have had nothing but good service. They have labs throughout the U.S. When I used the other company I didn’t like the service and the idea of pre-paid samples. I worked out a deal where I get mold air sample analysis for $22 a sample and free overnight shipping. My rep is Jason McDonald in Charleston, S.C. jmcdonald@emsl.com 407-375-9573. It pays to shop around.

We have used EMSL for years, 2,500 to 3,000 samples per year. We pay $25 per sample. Guess we’ll have to talk to Jason. Their service is Great.
Even got a kick back last year, $$$
Have fun

Doug Wall, CIE, CRMI
www.radonmoldhelp.com
www.naplesmoldinspection.com

Was Jason Macdonald with prolab previously?

I feel bad for those of you who have to deal with a lab out of town.

My lab is a simple ten minute drive.

Same here David. Makes a difference when you need the results the same or next day. Could be the difference between getting the job or having a day off.

I always get mine next day without a problem.

I’m interested in doing Mould inspections here in Toronto and I was told that prolab has the best prices. $25 for all mould samples.

Mr Inspector, I know nachi supports Prolab, but you may be surprised to hear that a lot of members do not. All I can say is to do research. A big factor in a quality lab is how much of the trace is read, which means how much of the date you send in is actually read. With a low trace reading, not much of your slide is being read. Prolab is just about the worse I believe. If you’re interested, PM me and I’ll drop you a line. Just like home inspections, you get what you pay for.

My Industrial Hygienist examines 28% of the slide.