What Pool Equipment are These?

I have been inspecting for awhile, but just recently added pools & spas. I inspected a chlorine/filter inground pool with heat pump heater recently that had three (3) of these things built into housings within the concrete deck with slots in the covers. They are electrified and there is residual water in the bottom of the housing. Thinking some type of pumps or heat exchangers associated with the water heating system?

I inspect a lot of pools, and I can’t say I’ve seen one of those.

In very general terms, anything electrical should be above the water level, not in the ground at the water level.

But I’d need to see more photos to make a better determination of what’s going on there.

Thanks, Ian. Glad to know I did not miss something basic. In this image you can see the three white covers at the top, just beyond the coping. I did not see (remember) any water inlets/outlets in the pool wall at that location, so might not even be part of the pool water circulation or plumbing(?)

Could be a luminary voltage reduction transformer.

1 Like

That a real thing? lol. Had to look it up. It is real. I think if it was low voltage lighting transformer related, it could have been done in a much smaller package and you would think only one would be needed. Each of these was 6" in diameter and about 10" long cylinder.

2 Likes

Might be an automated chlorination system.

1 Like

Definitely not part of the heat pump.
Voltage reducers for the pool light is something you should always check for when inspecting a pool. Although I dont usually test them, I do make sure they are at least present. They reduce the voltage to about 15 Volts, to prevent a dangerous current.
They will either be in the pool timer, or they will be a separate box, but I always follow the wires from the light breaker, and make sure they are actually connected.

Here are examples of both:

Do you have a pic of the pool equipment?

I’m thinking they are pumps for something like this maybe?..

4 Likes

Good thought, but Prob not. Those are usually just controlled by a valve at the pump

1 Like

Perhaps the controller will provide some clues.

I really like that thought. The main pump was only 1 HP, perhaps for efficiency purposes. So, possible that a water feature might have separate pumps… hmmm.

I happen to be heading back there tomorrow. I will press that “WATER FEAT LT” button and report back what happens.

I have to ask the obvious question…I assume you saw no data tag but was there not a single stamped or molded item/product number anywhere to be found on the black cylinder?

I pulled out all three individually and did not see anything like a data tag. But, did not check the underside of the cylinders - my bad, perhaps. I will be there tomorrow and will check.

1 Like

It’s common practice for injection moldings to have some form of markings but not always, definitely check the entire unit :slight_smile:

It’s a laminar deck jet.

5 Likes

Fantastic. I think this is the product.

2 Likes