What time of wall material?

Having a brain fart. Can anyone help me out with this wall material that was around in the 30’s and 40’s? Super thin.

It could be homasote.

4 Likes

Looks like Masonite.

4 Likes

Yeah, tentest board was my thought as well.

4 Likes

Beaver board possibly considering the age.

4 Likes

yes beaver board or Upson Board

3 Likes

Well, Robert, It is up to you, take your pick, Upson Board, Beaver Board, Tentest Board, Masonite, or Homasote. Now that I look at it closer, it could be Masonite. We are not there to sample it. Good luck.

2 Likes

Yep, …or, thin fiberboard.

3 Likes

“What time of wall material” Time to get it fixed.

4 Likes

what did it taste like ?

2 Likes

Tentest is an organic mulch board. Old that would have produced in 1978, asbestos was still used in some building products. With a few exceptions, principally manufactured from cross-contamination, 100% cellulose, non-Cementous, & wood-based fiberboard products that do not contain asbestos.

1 Like

I concur. Masonite, is a type of hardboard, engineered wood, manufactured by steam-cooked and pressure-molding wood fiber panels, in a process ‘patented by William H. Mason.’

1 Like

Thanks everyone

1 Like

Thought it was interesting all the different names that are associated with Masonite. This is from the WIKI definition.

Masonite is a type of hardboard, a kind of engineered wood, which is made of steam-cooked and pressure-molded wood fibers in a process patented by William H. Mason. It is also called Quartrboard , Isorel , hernit, karlit, torex, treetex, and pressboard.”

That’s why I choose “Masonite”. Direct yet ambiguous.

1 Like

If you dare to go down this Masonite rabbit hole lol…It’s got everything on it!
https://inspectapedia.com/structure/Masonite-Definition-History-Composition.php#MasoniteDef

1 Like

First thought, Masonite. Seems to be the majority opinion.

Seen that before when I was younger.
Early 20th-Century Building Materials: Fiberboard and Plywood (fs.fed.us)

Hardboard
Most historic hardboard was 1⁄8 to 5
⁄16 inch thick,
although two boards could be glued together to make a panel
that was more rigid. Masonite Corp. introduced its first
hardboard in the early 1930s. The Presdwood hardboard,
from 1⁄10 to 5
⁄16 inch thick, was used for interior finishes and as battens over other Masonite products. Panels could be
nailed or glued vertically or horizontally, then painted or
wallpapered. A more durable product known as Tempered
Presdwood was introduced in 1931. Often, it was screwed
to studs and its joints covered with decorative battens.

2 Likes