What type of inspector are you?

Originally Posted By: ssmith3
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Quote:
Home Inspections

You have just found the "perfect" house, but it is important to remember that it may not be perfect. You should have a structural inspector go over the house from the foundation to the roof so that you can make an informed decision.
A structural expert can give you crucial information about the plumbing, wiring, heating and air conditioning systems. He will check the roof, give you an indication of the condition of the appliances, and help you set up a long-term budget for replacement and repairs. The inspector can also show you where the water cut-off valve and circuit breakers or fuse box are located.
Your Realtor can advise you about how to include an engineering inspection in your offer to purchase and give you the names of inspectors in your area. The purchase of a home is a major investment, and the cost of an inspection is well worth the peace of mind it provides.

Found the above at this address http://www.inforedding.com/real_estate_article.asp?gi=1015&ai=83

Kinda bugs me with the use of structural inspector and engineering inspection. I guess this guy feels that they are the only ones qualified to perform these tasks.

Scott Smith

Marinspection

Vice President NorCal NACHI Chapter

I graduated from collage. Now my life is all mixed up.

Originally Posted By: Brian A. Goodman

Your Realtor can advise you about how to include an engineering inspection in your offer to purchase and give you the names of inspectors in your area.

He also thinks the fox should be in charge of the chicken coop.

Originally Posted By: dbowers

- by this time next year, most of them will have as much business as HI’s that have done home inspections for 10 years.

After that 1st year you hardly ever see one of the PE's advertising again.

Some are good - many aren't. Just like with other HI's everywhere.

I've done expert witness over 23 times in 6 years to defend or support a PE in a lawsuit. I've gone head to head in testimony against PE's in most of these cases. So far the score is 23/0 in my favor.

Did I know something about engineering they didn't? NO!

I did know something about home inspections in each instance, that either they didn't know or hadn't thought of.

I also get called on semi-frequently to settle disputes between PE's. By that I mean there is foundation movement. The buyers PE said this was needed. The sellers PE said that was needed. The lender calls us and asks us to review the 2 PE's reports and determine which report is more accurate. The weird part is the lender would not have called me to start with, to determine what was needed NOR if I had done the home inspection would they have accepted my report as what was needed BUT they'll use me to decide which engineers report is most accurate.

Funny World!

Originally Posted By: rrushing

Gentlemen,

Go back and re-read the advertisement. No where does it say he is claiming to be a Structural Engineer. He is calling himself a "Structural Expert" and/or a "Structural Inspector". Hell, anyone can call themselves a Structural Inspector or Expert. Actually being one is a different story.

His marketing ploy is obviously working...

Originally Posted By: Blaine Wiley

Quote:
A structural expert can give you crucial information about the plumbing, wiring, heating and air conditioning systems. He will check the roof, give you an indication of the condition of the appliances, and help you set up a long-term budget for replacement and repairs.

Ron is right. I haven't seen many structural engineers turn on the heating and air.

Long term budget for repairs? Someone lemme know where he found his crystal ball! ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)