What type service is this?

I do not have a problem with standard three wire service , but this feed threw me for a loop.

Bottom three are hot with neutral on the right .
Is this three phase? as I saw no sign of that service being used in this 3,000 square foot Condo.

panel (Small).JPGpanel label (Small).JPGpanel tape (Small).JPG

panel (Small).JPG

panel (Small).JPG

Hi Bob,

That is a 3 phase panel, the distribution is 120/240 though.



If you had taken your voltmeter and put it across breakers 1 & 3 and had the same reading (240 or 208 ) across breakers 1 & 5, that should have given you the evidence that it was 3-phase. Or the voltage would have been the same across the main lugs a-b & a-c.

3000 sq ft… nice! You makin’ your way over to the Trump Towers now?

But is it Delta or Wye? :wink:

Hey you all read what is on the label in the middle picture, Please

THAT is in a 3k sq/ft condo??? Wow.

yep… nothing was proved that the voltage was 120/240. Unless Bob comes back with the answer.

Yeah, that was my thought to, but after chatting with Bob it turns out that it was a former office space used as a residential condo.



Thanks guys, and especialy Gerry for the call.
Has two furnaces and two condensors, plus was used as an office before hand.

I suspected ,but now feel it was just put in to handle a bigger future load.

Nice size place with elevator to the unit and roof rights for future decking.
I do not do factory commercial (yet) and have minimal knowledge in three phase.
That Delta stuff is gonna be a big learn when I do.

Makes perfect sense then. :slight_smile:

Bob…Mike W pointed it out and you may already know this but in the one label photo, see the box labeled “Ø” with the 3 below it? The “Ø” stands for ‘phase’.

I did not know the symbol 0/ (how did you do that?)

But I saw the 3 and the 4 and kinda figured that was a damn good clue.

Chastise me but I just used my ticker on it.

Got the one which reads current on one side and was trying to wrap up .(another no no…yes should have used the meter)

I knew all three were hot but just could not figure why there was no three phase devise , which confused the issue for me. Duh!

There’s a whole plethora of letters, numbers and symbols available to you. Do you know how to type °, ø, ¼, ™, õ, ©, x³, …etc, etc?

Mr Whitt put his finger on the answer, 3 phase 208/120 Wye. You will see 208 between phases and 120v to ground from each of them. The other tip off is the rotating red, black, blue conductors on the breakers.
If it was 3p Delta, code says the hign leg (usually B) coming in has to be orange too.

There are a few ways.

The copy/paste method is the easiest I’ve found. Ø
Alt. keys are the next.


I do not have a seperate number pad on my Laptop.
Darn…copy paste it is.

On your laptop it may activate a ‘separate number pad’ when you press the Num-lock key (on my laptop that is the key just to the right of F12). Look at the "J, K, L, M, U, I, O, 7, 8, 9, 0 keys…do they have the numbers 1-9 shown on them? If so, then you just may need to add the pressing and holding of the Fn key along with the Alt key then the 4-digit character code using those J, K, L etc keys. At least that’s how it works on my laptop.

If you use Word
the upper menu should be Insert
click it and the drop down has Symbol
set Fonts (normal text) you’ll have to scroll through to find the symbol you’re looking for
click **Insert **

If you use the same symbols often you can use the shortcut


Thanks Barry.
Easy to forget about short cut options if not using them much.

I have that problem with both my laptops as well. You can do it but it is a pain.
A desktop keyboard is easy.

With a laptop C&P is just easier for the few times you need them.