What you need to know before blaming . . .

. . . the home inspector.

Sweet!
I like the part about we do not have X-ray vision. LOL

I got about five emails about this. all the same.

Great article! I have an open letter that I email to my customers right after we set up the appointment and I also put a printed copy in the report package right behind the cover. First thing they see when they open it up, big bold letter right across the top “Message to our Customers” then I go into almost exactly what you said (and more) about what the inspection is, and is NOT, what we do cover and what we don’t cover and finally put the onus on them to read the FULL REPORT. I filled up the entire page. There is no excuse for not knowing what a home inspection is…and is not. This alone has saved me from those, “but, I thought you did this…” kind of situations. It clarifies that I did not take them to raise and they are responsible to protect their investment…not I.

Every RE should read that article. The best I have seen in months. If you have not, attend one of his seminars. Joe is the best, relates to us, is a blue-collar guy, tells it like it is, and shoots from the hip; a rare quality these days.

My web site has everything any buyer shopping for a home inspector should know. Most sites say nothing about the procedures. When clients call, I tell them to read every page of my web site. They will then know what to expect. In the last two years, I have had only a dozen calls after the inspection was performed. I sleep well at night.

Every client at the inspection gets the report printed on site, given and explained to them, dozens of pages of home maintenance tips, a copy of the CMI codes of ethics, and a copy of the standards of practice used. I tell them at least twice that they need to read everything in the reports before deciding how to procede with their agent.

No excuses.

Agree that its a great article. I also used it and sent to clients and RE contacts. Its great to have someone on our side.

Next week should interesting also… Roy… That’s Saturday

Next week:** We will tell you why our reader hasn’t got a prayer if he sues the inspector, as well as offer tips on what you can do to make that home inspection worth every dollar you pay for it.**
Dennis Beaver practices law in Bakersfield and welcomes comments and questions from readers, which may be faxed to him at (661) 323-7993 or emailed to him at lagombeaver@hotmail.com.

Read more: http://www.hanfordsentinel.com/news/opinion/columnists/article_d623cf9e-f371-11e0-911c-001cc4c002e0.html#ixzz1aj0qHBBI

Part 2.

Thanks Joe much appreciated … Roy

I had a client call me yesterday, and read every page of my web site.

“If you cannot inspect most things about a home, what do you inspect?”

After 15 minutes of explaining, I finally have an inspection for next week.

It works both ways. I hope the second article does not scare away clients, as this may promote saying that we do not check alot of things in a home.

However, a home inspection is still the best thing any home buyer spends their money on, per dollar. Do they get much information from their agent who stands to make thousands of dollars in commissions? Do they get information from their lender or bank, who will charge thousands in closing costs, mortage interest? Do they get honest information from an appraisal?

To all current and future home buyers: get a home inspection. Just the home maintenance information and tips that any inspector can give you is worth the cost.

Joe, keep 'em coming.