What's its fuction?

Found this today during an inspection. Its a Steel column “mounted” to the bottom of 2 pieces of LVL which are between two floor trusses. The LVL is up tight against the sub floor below the laundry area on the floor above. The adjustable screw plate terminates below the cement basement slab (Sorry no picture of bottom end). I have no idea if there is a footing below or if it just ends in the slab. Has anyone seen this type of set up before? I have an idea of what it is but want to see what you guys think.
100_0716 (Small).JPG

This could be some ones idea of adding support to a Piano or hot tub or just to take sag out of the floor .
What did you find above ?
Roy Cooke sr

The washing machine is above this area. The house was built in 2003. What has me miffed is that it appears to have been install like this when the house was built because the screw of the post/jack is in the cement floor of the basement. Has anyone else seen this?

That is original and very necessary to hold up the beam.

“The footer is not visible and any movements or future settling will require the installation of a proper footer” Also substandard connection of post to beam.

Thanks for you reply but I’m not sure what you mean. The entire floor/joist system is floor trusses. There is no beam at this point. The LVL and steel post are within 2 feet of an outside wall under the first floor laudry area. The LVL is only between 1 pair of floor trusses at this area only.

Seems like you are describing supplementary floor support parallel to and about 2’ away from an outside wall … so it doesn’t seem likely there is a bearing wall above (unless it’s a different configuration). Perhaps they expected heavy washer/dryer equipment, and were concerned about loading/deflection on the light weight floor trusses?

In any event, I think ya write up any visual defects/concerns, including a post to LVL attachment that really should be done with at least 2 lag screws on opposite corners, and then call it a day … :wink:

If it is supporting a heavy object, and if there is no footer…

Typically the way thats constructed is to pour the footing, set the steel column, and then pour the basement slab (encasing the column bottom). I guess it possible that they stuck the steel column base into the wet slab concrete or that it just sits on the subgrade, but not likely.

Any visible indications of movements or slab cracking around the base that you didn’t post?

This must supporting a point load from the floor above. It could be another post or column that supports a beam or structural roof component above. If the steel post looks like it is original to the house ie. concrete at base was poured at the same time as the rest of the floor, I wouldn’t worry about it.

It appears that the LVL’s were added to emcopasse and extra load from above. Considering the view of the floor truss at the end of the DBL. LVL, it appears like it is picking up additional loads not seen in the picture.

I have provided what would indicate the floor system viewed from that picture.
http://hardware.hardwarestore.com/learning/how-to-install-skylights.aspx

I have seen many lally columns installed with eight penny nails bent over like this that would date back to the early 1900’s. Not to worry, they will not go anywhere. But note what you see for it is not a standard of practice to build this way.

The double LVL’s consist of two pieces of 1 & 7/8" thickness and most likely 9&1/4" in height. It is supported by this post for added load from above.

As was mentioned, what is above and to what extremity does this beam carry beyond the picture?

Marcel :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Thanks Marcel. Sorry for the poor picture but the LVL is only between two adjacent floor trusses (approximately 20" in total length). My guess is that it is used to stabilize the floor below the washing machine. I use to live in a house with 16" floor trusses and there was some bounce in the floor system. I wrote it up as an area of concern due the inability to determine the footing and the mounting of bearing plate. I just thought it looked strange to put a steel post less than 2 ft away from an outside basement wall.