Different locations, different homes, you have to be paying attention 100%, the other day I sliced the end of my thumb off having shut it in a sagging gate, I carry a first aid kit in my car so I cleaned it up ( and the blood drop trail back to my truck) and got the job done without too much of a problem.
Just wondering what tales do you guys have to tell on injuries that others can learn from?
Worst for me was around fifteen years ago. I was walking up a steep little side hill near a retaining wall while looking at the house. Some loose gravel caused my feet to slip out from under me, and I landed on a railroad tie. A few ribs broke my fall.
I was booked solid for about a week and a half and I refused to miss any inspections. It was the worst pan that I have ever experienced, and it did not go away for weeks. The pain of carrying and setting up a 22’ multi-position ladder was enough to make your eyes water.
The doctor prescribed Oxycodone every 4-6 hours. I did not want it to affect my work or make me a hazard so I would only take it after getting home for the day and finishing up reports.
Worst for me - I bought a cheaper Amazonia telescoping ladder and while inspecting a 12’ hatch in a garage to get into the attic, it collapsed and broke my wrist on the way down. I was not impressed at all, but ultimately it was the last stop of the home and so the client was 100% understandable as to the skip of it, and they were ironically an orthopedic surgeon and she had a splint in the car.
Since then - I will only use the Xtend+Climb ladders and have never doubted their engagement of steps. Sometimes the extra 20% is money in the bank!
Back in Feb of 2007 I feel about 24ft. Ladder slipped out on front brick stoop, apparently there was still a little ice I didn’t see. Coming down 2 steps and it kicked. Tried grabbing the gutter, nope. I crunched down on the front stoop metal stair rail about mid back or the Traverse-Lumbar section. Flopped down face first on the front stoop step. Thankfully I did go to the right side because that was another 12 ft down to the lower garage slab. Broke/fractured several types of vertebrae, broke nose. I was out of action for a few months, I couldn’t walk. Rehabbed. Here I am today. Still painful. Just gotta manage the pain and it seems to get worse daily. Putting off the more extensive surgeries because when you gone under on the operating table, its never the same. But I am very thankful I’m still on this planet…every day I am appreciative of that fact. This happened in my 30’s. I think if it happened now, I’d be shelved permanently. That is the worst injury I’ve sustained in the inspection career
Rang the doorbell.
Guy opened the door & said you must be the mold assessor.
Before I could answer a pit bull came flying down the stairs & grabbed my arm. wouldn’t let go.
After quick ER visit. Reported to the cops per human bite case law,
2 days later they call. The father put the dog down same day, lied & told the vet it was a danger to other animals.
Cremated no brain for Rabies check. They told me I had 2 days to start the shots.
I invested in quality telescoping ladders as this was one of my fears, I have some silicone mating I use to go under the feet on slippery surfaces, literal lifesaver!
Injured twice in 22 years. Both incidents involved ladders.
I had my Little Giant set in the A frame position accessing a garage attic scuttle. It had been misting outside and my ladder was out by my truck prior to going into the garage attic. Rungs were wet. I had no issue getting in the attic. Getting out was where the shit hit the fan. I was down to about the 2nd or 3rd rung from the top and lost my footing. Fell backwards onto the concrete garage floor. My brain told me to extend my arms behind me to break my fall. This caused tears in all the tendons on my left wrist, and a fractured Scafoid (bone from wrist to thumb) in my right wrist. Probably saved me from a head injury so pick your poison I guess. Lesson learned: ladders must be dry!
The second injury I had was when the feet of the ladder kicked out from under me on a driveway. There was a very thin layer of frost on the asphalt which I did not notice and when I got to the gutter level, the ladder feet decided they no longer wished to grip the earth. Took the ride to the pavement and broke my right elbow. Lesson learned: Make sure your ladder is always tied off and ensure the ground is not slippery!
Both injuries resulted in extended time off of work to heal and rehab. No bueno.
I now have a VIP card with my Orthopede so I got that going for me…which is nice!
One time I had a ladder on a lower roof trying to get to the higher roof. Ended up slipping because the ladder was a bit wet from being stored outside in my truck bed and busted the upper gutters. Didn’t get hurt but had to pay to get a section of gutters replaced.
another time, I was de-extending a ladder and had my hand on the rung. As one of the ladder sections slid down, my hand got squashed. Hurt for a week but nothing after
In 2019 a customers dog bit me in the groin. Lost one testicle and have major nerve damage. Have not worked since and will never be able to return to work
My gosh. I almost feel bad following the above stories with my story, since it doesn’t involve broken bones, ER visits, and such. But it is a bit humerous.
Early on in my 5+ year career, I was having a lot of issues with my drone and controller communications. For some reason, the particular phone I had at the time did not like keeping a consistent connection with the controller. It was the type of controller you mounted your phone to (DJI Mini). I was doing a rural lake home with a steep pitched, tall roof, and lots of trees. As I was finishing up the drone roof inspection, the controller started losing communication with the phone and the drone. I was able to get the drone close to me, but a few feet over my head. From there, it wasn’t responding and I was worried it was going to take off again. So I decided to reach up and grab it from the air. Well, those plastic blades spinning at a bazillion revolutions a second, turns out they are like little knife blades, lol. Took about 6 bandaids to seal up my fingers so I could finish the inspection. Luckily I had bandaids in the truck!
I have a reserved room at the Loma Linda Hospital snake specialty section. 25 stitches in shin 2001, 14 stiches back of ankle 2002, 20 stitches back calf 2004, Rattlesnake black head bites, they dont wait they come after you. Doc said next time i get bit bring in snake for they use venom, and I said and you and your mother bring it in. I have now a numb left leg forever and a little immuity to snake bites. One was in surrounding brush around a mountain home, the others were crawling over the snakes in Crawlspaces. And Man you should have seen my clients face when I said “Uh I need you to drive me to the hospital” I wish I had ladder falls. So to say thank god the nurses were awesome.