When is it time for tuckpointing?

Tuck point.jpg

This is a 90 year old wall. Mortar is rock-solid. Can’t see any regular erosion pattern.

Now…
If not a water intrusion issue it is definitely a pathway for Bees (insects) as we enter Spring.

Agree…lots of missing mortar that could use tuckpointing.

22.jpg

Would it be Repointing instead of Tuckpointing?
I believe so.

Tuckpointing is the original process. “Repointing is the process of renewing the pointing (the external part of mortar joints) in masonry construction. Over time, weathering and decay cause voids in the joints between masonry units (usually bricks), allowing the undesirable entrance of water.”

Yes that needs to be repointed.

Be very careful when recommending repointing. Depending on the depth, condition, or amount of missing mortar, it may require a complete rebuild and not just repointing. The classes I have taken call for rebuilding if the mortar is missing or degraded more than 3/4".

So in the long run, report and recommend repair as needed by qualified mason.

Anybody have any example pics that they use in their report when re-pointing or tuck pointing is needed

How 'bout using the one you take at the Inspection? Is that what you mean? Or do you mean a graphic?

Lol @joshua. Good point. I did mean graphic.
Thank you in advance

Since I was / am a Mechanical Contractor…
I never knew that there was a difference between “Re-Pointing” and “Tuck Pointing” of Masonry…
I thought it to be the same…
Is there a difference in the work contracted to be performed based upon a recommendation of “Tuck Pointing” versus “Re Pointing”… ?
Please explain…

Does Tuck Pointing Cost more than Re-Pointing??

or…

Is it just a terminology difference…

In this area of Philly…

I know what it is …

Thanks