When would a vent be required in a bathroom?

A home was built in the 1930’s. There is visual updates in a 1st floor half bath including newer glass block window (no vent), newer sink, toilet, floor tile, etc. There is no ventilation except the HVAC duct at the floor and the door. I don’t know when the work was done, but it obviously is not original.

After looking at many other “improvements” throughout the home, I suspect the work may have been done by the owner and possibly without permits but there is no way to know for sure without calling the local building inspection department (outside SOP). Any ideas?

I don’t involve myself with permit issues.

I point out unprofessional work however.

I don’t either, and I have used the non-professional work in the past. Maybe something like, “Visual evidence of recent updates. No ventilation installed. This could be an indication of non-professional work. Recommend consulting with a licensed HVAC contractor to confirm the work performed meets professional standards”. I would tend to flag this as a maintenance item and not a Defect. OR

[Exhaust - NONE - Defect]There is no means of ventilation present either through a window or mechanically ventilated fan. Repairs recommended by a licensed HVAC technician.

You can undercut doors to provide adequate return air.

http://www.baihp.org/casestud/return_air/index.htm

Not concerned with return air. Concerned that there was no window opening or mechanical means of ventilation installed in the bathroom.

Every bathroom requires an openable window that provides at least 1.5 square ft of air flow area when open – 2006 IRC [303.3] OR mechanical type ventilation: 50 CFM intermittent or 20 CFM continuous operation – 2006 IRC [303.3X]

I missed your point. Sorry. I thought you were talking about a heating vent.

No ventilation always get written up by me.

Don’t forget that what you are talking about is minimum. 50 cfm is safe for operation during occupancy and as Michael said, the door should be cut to provide proper ventilation.:smiley:

The undercut door is for the HVAC not room ventilation.

I misread Greg’s intent.

What goes out must come in.

Please read Kevin.

You’re confused.

Don’t forget that what you are talking about is minimum. 50 cfm is safe for operation during occupancy and the door should be under cut to provide proper ventilation unless the area around the door is not well sealed.

Is that better Michael:D

With or without windows (since very few will shower on a cold February night with an open window in the same room), all bathrooms need a means to send the moisture that is generated within them to the outdoors. It doesn’t matter what a code book says or when they were built. The lack of a vent is a material defect and should be addressed in an inspection report.

NO

He is asking about the lack of ventilation for the bathroom, not the heat source.

I misread his intent at first too but I explained that already. Read son.:roll:

Re: When would a vent be required in a bathroom?

As soon as I leave the room…;):wink:

That should clear it up.

No one is talking about supply heat. We are talking about moisture removal through ventilation.

Not me–I’m talking gas here–and if anything else is not reason enough, that most certainly is.

So install that vent, baby!!

There is more of a gas problem in a 1/2 bath than there is moisture…unless there is an aiming problem.

Well Jae has been around a good long while :wink:

Half bath can have a shower and if it does not it should be set up for one anyways. No moisture issue yet but there will be.:frowning:
It then becomes a hall bath.

Is there something in the water up there?:stuck_out_tongue: