When would a vent be required in a bathroom?

For those who are inclined to rely upon code, I invite you to read IRC 2006 R303.3. If the room has a “water closet” it will have a window of a minimum size. If it has no window, it will have mechanical venting “to the outside”.

In other words, the code makes no distinction as to what fraction of a bathroom it is. If there is a toilet in it, vent it.

I’m a old fart what would I be doing with Teen age daughters. My daughter is older than most of these newbie inspectors and a hell of a lot smarter;-):wink:

I tell them the same thing when the only window is behind the tub.

I had one a few weeks ago where the only ventilation was the window way across the wide hydro massage tub. Dumb.

As you stated this is and “older” home, I have to assume there is no air-exchanger, and no chance of one being installed… so…

Simple… one method would be downdraft to crawl or basement, and then to exterior.

And yes, I report the lack of ventilation, and no it’s not my problem, but I do get the question “how?” and I like to “discuss” the scenario with my clients. If I don’t, then I get the call from the stupid-*** agent, or the more “stupider” homeowner/handyman/contractor.

Okay… I guess when she was a teenager, you still carried water in buckets from the well!:shock:

:mrgreen::mrgreen:

I am not disputing the need for an exhaust fan but at some point common sense needs to apply I inspect a lot of old historical’s that have absolutely no means to exhaust and on top of that the local AHJ does not require bathrooms or kitchen exhaust to be vented beyond the attic which makes no sense to me even if the attic is considered as a vented attic

But, but… plants grow real well in that garden window with all the humidity. :wink:

I knew where this was headed and no it is not simple to downdraft to a crawl and then to the exterior

That would be correct along with the two hole exterior toilet

I knew you knew.

You knew the answer before you asked the question.

Simple as in the method, no so the actual work performed, but still simpler than the alternatives, unless you have a better idea? I would love to hear it/them, as the majority of my inspects are older/turn-of-the-century homes.

If anyone here would know, you would.

(Take that as a compliment).:wink:

Natural ventlation! :slight_smile:

3/4 Bath! Does that mean you only get 3/4s of your body clean. LOL:D

I am back horses needed water its only 114 degrees out my front door that is the only reason I am hiding out messing around on this BB its Dam hot out there.

All I can say is if you have never inspected a house that it was impossible to install a exhaust fan ya just haven’t been around long enough. Just tell it like it is and move along no need for a 10 page disclaimer

Yuck, yuck, yuck…

Oh, wait a minute…

Canuck, canuck, canuck !!!

:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

Agree, and since you threw the scenario out there, back in the day when you did this kinda work for a livin’…

What would you have seen as the “fix”, errr, “repair” ? (Just for the sake of conversation).

[quote=“jjonas, post:55, topic:61558”]

Agree, and since you threw the scenario out there, back in the day when you did this kinda work for a livin’…

What would you have seen as the **“fix”, errr, “repair” **? (Just for the sake of conversation)./quote)

Well for the sake of conversation one can not use the wall cavity as a discharge for moist air so the only feasible means would be to open the wall cavity and insert metal insulated duct in the cavity down to the crawl and only if the ceiling mounted fan had room to attach duct from the fan to the wall cavity duct which probably would not happen.

SOOL:D

Thank you.

Is this horse dead yet?

Pretty much; what else did you want me to do hell it was hot outside

Your Welcome