Who dropped the ball?

Unless I’m wrong, I don’t think your meter base should float only supported by conduit.

I have to think that this was missed by multiple people: the electrician, the building inspector, and the power company.

Can anyone give me an excuse for any of these people not to catch this? Is was a recent remodel and the siding is pretty new. Would the power company just let this float while the siding was installed? (The answer to that is yes because I live in a small town where strange things are allowed every day, like the house with no plumbing vents except for three of the under-sink variety and they almost had city approval until I opened my big mouth. I want to here what would have happened in a stricter environment.)

Thanks

IMG_1736 (Custom).jpg

Man, don’t you see the air-hook ? :mrgreen:

Actually I see that alot out here. People who are building in stages sometimes will put out the meter base ahead of time close to where they will build. And then when ready to build, they put the house up close to where the meter is. It’s usually built onto a 4x4 post or something.

Around here no permits are needed for residing. None of these people may have seen it yet, but you’re correct, it needs to be attached to the wall.

The recent work suggests that the siders just pulled it off the wall, sided behind it and left it unattached…be careful, there are probably loose screw floating around in the cabinet.

My theory on this is the siding was installed recently, the service is existing.
Someone floated the meter so the siding could be installed underneath instead of around the meter.
No one ever got around to re-securing the meter and conduit.

Actually I see this quite often.
Wel…maybe not the meter floating part.

Wendy are you talking about the temp service that the utility company installs so that the job site can have power? It is on a wooden pole on the lot. When the home and service equipment are finished they transfer service over to the perminate system.

If it was a recent remodel, its pretty good guess that it was un-secured for the installation of the vinyl and never re-secured. I see these flapping in the breeze on occasion after having not been re-secured.

Usually the clamp marks or additional fading on the service cable will confirm whether it was previously secured.

The meter and conduit (cant see the full set up in the picture) should be secured (attached) to prevent mecanical damage.

I think the problem may be that our local Shelton expert has yet to perform any full inspections. Draw inspections don’t count. By the way Wendy, have you taken the STATE REQUIRED pest test yet in order to perform home inspections in this state?

Really JWoods. You shouldn’t talk about Peter that way. :wink:

After all, he IS the local Shelton expert didn’t you know?

I’m sorry, but you must be mistaken. Inspections that are part of a real estate transaction or may become a part of a real estate transaction, are required to have a WDO inspection performed. The law does not state who has to perform this test, just that there must be one and it must have a WDO number along with it.
So, if you are asking if any inspections I have performed have been performed lawfully, then the answer is yes.

Oh, and yes, Draw Inspections do count. Any experience is good experience and it may be your opinion that they do not count but that is your perogative. Just as it is my perogative to disagree with you.

Actually I did a draw inspection the other day where they had the meter base built under a housing structure about a third of the way down the driveway.

What most likely happened here is that the siding installers pulled the meter off the house, installled the siding, got their money and ran. In order to re-install the meter the utility company’s (POCO-POwer COmpany) tag will have to be cut. I’m not sure about your location,but where I live the POCOs are very picky about who cuts their tag and for what reason. So, if this homeowner called me and asked about reinstalling his meter I would have to pull the proper permits, get the POCO out to cut the tag, (they would take the meter with them), reattach the meter base, call for an inspection by the city inspector, and if it passed the inspection, call the POCO back to replace the meter in the socket. Total time, most of the day.

Around here they would probably just come out and put another seal on if you called and said you just noticed yours was missing …
… damn kids!

This is done often to prevent the meter base from being pulled off of the home (structure) if a tree limb would happen to hit the underground service.

If it looks wrong it probably IS.

Good call.

In Chicago, I had an inspection on an old brick bungalow (in pretty good shape, otherwise) where the seller decided to make the back porch into an enclosed and insulated bedoom.

The (without permits or approval (or, apparently, without an electrician) just remobed the drop connection (screw in to the side of the house, non-encased flexible SE) and laid the entire drop, meter box and lower SE on the ground and proceeded to sheath and side (metal) the back porch.

When completed, they just screwed the old hook back int the siding.

I reported that the work was probably done without a permit and recommended evaluation by a “licensed and insured electrical contractor”. My clients, instead, listened to the Realtor.

They called back, about 2 months later and complained because a City code inspector came by and defected it. (The city guys, sometimes, check for new RE transactions and go to check (Can you say, “Where’s the Money”)).

I told them that I called it out and they should call their Realtor. I told them that they should hope that the Realtor is tight with the precenct captain. :mrgreen:

One cal lead a client away from liability, but you can’t tie them up.