Why New Hampshire home buyers call me...

I perform many home inspections in Southern New Hampshire and this story will explain why…

http://www.nashuatelegraph.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070324/NEWS01/203240344/-1/XML07

Hi David
The story states the inspector inspects by Mass. standards, how does that help you? or are you refering that they call you because your licensed?

Sorry,

I should have been more explicit.

Many NH home buyers tell me that they would like to book with me because NH inspectors are not licensed. Being licensed works in my favor.

southern new hampshire pretty much is massachusetts!:mrgreen:

i find it hard to believe that owner isn’t suing because of no license laws. and although mass licensing may get border inspectors some new hampshire business i am suspect of who might really be behind this article. perhaps asshi is gearing up for a next year fight and is trying to set some fires.

the article has no validity. there is nothing backing up the articles claim that licensing reduces inspection errors. perhaps we should respond to this damaging, broad-stroked article.

david, more than likely you get southern nh business because of your good reputation.

andy frost
madison, nh

It is just hard to believe with all the requirements we have in TX that some states you can still perform insp. w/out a license. It is a Class A misdemeanor here not having one and doing an insp… In addition, TX requires 448 hours of training just to qualify to take the state exam which aint’ no cakewalk either.

Ok…Great. If that’s the case…Let’s just slide southern New Hampshire over the Massachusetts border a bit.

There…Now I don’t have to drive as far.

“Click to Enlarge”

Andy,
I hope to see you at next Wednesday’s meeting.

Hi Andy;
Please, with no disregard to you, I would appreciate it if you would stop referring to southern NH as part of Mass. You did it on another post where I commented on how nice Portsmouth is and this is where I live. We are in no way part of Mass and are very much a part of NH as you are in the north country.

That said, I hope to see you at our next chapter meeting as I feel your input is very important as well as your support of NACHI, no matter what town we live in.

You openion do you think that is good or bad ?
We in Ontario do not have a requirement and from what I see and hear it is the best way to go .
Roy Cooke

I think it really weeds out alot of people which is good. Actually, I think that the 448 classroom hrs are not enough. There should be another couple hundred hours, at least, in the field. At least 50 to 75 practice inspections. The licensing helps to brings professionalism and a standard to the industry. I always get asked if I am licensed. If I were to tell them it is not required to be licensed in XXX state then it would make alot of the clients think twice about getting an insp.

You are always asked because, in your state, it would be illegal for you to operate without one. You are not asked because your client has a choice and picks “licensed” over “unlicensed”.

We need to help you guys in Texas get free of the real estate agents that control you. Let’s get those stupid licensing laws repealed.

You might have a point there, New Hampshire is an “unlicensed state” and as far as I know there has never been a single home inspection conducted in this state.:roll:

Interesting to note… that the year Texas decided to triple it’s
hours required to become an inspector (and increase the number
of test questions also)… it prompted about 900 people to become
inspectors, just before the law went into affect.

This last year, only approx. 26 people became inspectors.
The law will not making anything perfect, but it can sometimes
be a benefit, to a degree… and… makes it harder for the fly by
night guy to do business.

The article does bring up a good point. The seller is wondering why the problems are being brought up a year after the sale. Are we not checking for EXISTING conditions? I can see on the electrical not being grounded as an existing condition, but who knows what the buyer was stuffing down the drains for the past year!

It’s no wonder the buyer couldn’t find a lawyer to take his case, he didn’t have one.:roll:

I agree, the article really does not have any basis. If the house were inspected based on the proposed Senate bill, only half the house would have been inspected.:frowning:

Licensed or not, most NH inspectors do a fair job, it is just a matter of what goes wrong and when, and then who do you blame (a year later), the Home Inspector of course, it wouldn’t matter if we were licensed or not.

It seems to me the article is saying not to use MA Licensed Home Inspectors, or at least don’t use an inspector who inspects based on MA requirements. No offense Dave.

Of course it would be illegal. That is not my point. The point is that if there were not licensing then an unlicensed person could simple say that. “Joe” buyer alot of times just wants to know you are licensed. Just like I want to know my dentist has a diploma.
I like licensing because it limits the nbr of people and helps to raise the bar on the industry. The agents do not control us. That is ludicrous.

Why do you have a problem with licensing? It does not at all bother you that anyone with a flashlight, binoculars, and a note pad could be an inspector in your state? Sure would bother me.:roll:

You’re right.

Since licensing was initiated in all states prior to driving privileges being granted, there have been no automobile accidents or bad drivers.

A licensed fisherman, as we all know, always catch the biggest fish.

Any licensed beautician can make any woman look good.

Licensing has solved all of our problems and has always ensured quality whenever it has been enacted.

In all seriousness, the most amusing of all home inspection licensing failures (there are many) comes from New Jersey where the inspector who screwed up an inspection of a legislator’s home…prompting the legislator to sponsor the bill and push for the law…turned out to be “grandfathered” under the very bill that was designed to eliminate people like him.

You have to laugh at the ridiculous ways people try to use the state to help them with their marketing plans.

Licensing solves nothing.

it’s hard enough for a legit, trained HI to get and stay in business, i don’t feel threatened by “anyone with a flashlight…”.

i’d rather see carpenters licensed or the guys that install out of the box fireplaces.

It merely points to the publics perception of the industry if any old Joe can say he’s an inspector. Do we really want to dumb down our profession? Anyone can be a car salesman. Do we want to be equated with them? Licensing sets a bar to attain.

It is obvious that you have not read too many licensing laws.:wink:

I don’t interpret that at all.

It’s simply saying…Without state regulations, there’s no legal standard for home inspectors.***

***This guy wants to sue the HI, but he can’t find an attorney to take his case.

Just for your information, Massachusetts has one of the most comprehensive Statutes & Regulations for HI’s in the United States.