How would you mark this one?

NachiFront.jpg

NachiSouth.jpg

NachiBack.jpg

NachiNorth.jpg

Really???

Florida Mit form reads -
Roof Geometry
Hip Roof - Hip roof with no other roof shapes greater thatn 10% of the total building perimeter.

This house has a 253.5 Ft perimeter and 27.7 Ft of Gable or 10.9%

Black and white is Non-Hip…

The question came up as the other houses in this neghborhood are supposedly listed as Hip…

Am I being to literal or missing something?

I don’t deal with your state or their forms but from an old framer’s viewpoint that’s a hip roof man.
G

NON-HIP, NON-HIP
Black & White: Hip Roof - Hip roof with no other roof shapes greater thatn 10% of the total building perimeter.
10%> in this case, no brainer. Stick to your guns!

What is the roof perimeter?

This house has a 253.5 Ft perimeter and 27.7 Ft of Gable or 10.9%

You noted the building perimeter, but if you add the soffit width to determine the total roof perimeter, it might be less than 10% which is probably why the homeowner’s neighbors’ homes are considered hip.

Correct the form states Building Perimeter, but if a 2 ft soffit were added in around the house, then the perimeter is 266 feet… Still barely over 10%.

Then unfortunately for the homeowner, it would be non-hip.

Total building perimeter is fascia to fascia. Check out Bill York’s class: http://www.mitigation-verification-inspectors.com/.
He’s the expert and that is what he teaches.
Helps a little in some cases.

Do you have a pic of the back?

The second picture is the back and south corner.

If the gable width is .1% more than 10%, I would not jeopardize my license in order to make a homeowner happy. As mentioned above by one of the other guys, it is black and white. Either it is, or it isn’t.

What is hip? :cool:

On the old form it may have been hip. The new form is different, you did the calculations and came up with non-hip.

Kate,
To answer your question, the attached photo shows a hip roof. It’s like a pyramid. In Florida, the home can also have any other roof type (gable, flat, etc) in addition to the hip roof and still be classified as hip, as long as the combination of all other roof types is not more than 10% of the total building(roof) perimeter (see Michael’s message and photos). The hip roof gets a pretty substantial discount off of the homeowner’s insurance policy with most insurance carriers.

http://www.nachi.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=39435&stc=1&d=1286406782

Home inspector pro.:slight_smile:

NO NO NO

Homegauge! Take that back to the report writing/Tech threads!!!:mrgreen:

Don’t miss the chance to get $40.00 off Bill Yor’s class. Its $125 now and only at the two sites for Florida InterNACHI members or wait and pay $162 later…
Zoe