Wind Mitigation - roof to wall attachment

[quote=“Robert_R.Sheppard, post:15, topic:109127”]

I had decided to stay away from these forums a while back, I usually reference the comments made here about wind mitigation to show how inaccurately they are being performed. But, at a recent wind mitigation workshop, a fellow colleague convinced me that if I wasn’t part of the solution, I was part of the problem. So here it goes….

The connection you show isn’t a toe-nail, clip, or even a strap. It’s an anchor. It’s an anchor attached with lag bolts. What’s more, it’s a rated and approved anchor attachment. It has a specific name and was most likely engineered for that connection by the original Architect. You’ll need to make a visit to the authority having jurisdiction to confirm what it is rated for and apply that to the specific qualifying connection in the form.

Actually, while I agree that this strap is good, and is not something that has been field modified, it makes no difference. It is NOT the roof to wall connection that he needs to look at. This connection is on, what appears to be, a mid-point of a rake wall. The connectors he needs to be looking at are the ones on the end.

HIP has software, we use ISN to send out emails.

If you want to use PDFs www.nachi.org/shishilla.htm

Here is why it is not a code inspection:

Home inspectors are not licensed to inspect to code but are allowed to verify the items on the form.

Based on the statement you can verify the roof covering(notice it does not say whole roof or even roof, it states the covering only) with only a product approval. So the proof of an approved product with proof it is on the roof is all that is needed for item number 2. There is no need to prove that the roof was installed to code(with obvious exceptions).

Roof deck attachment B does not meet the current code(generally) but allows for a discount.

Current rules require retrofits in conjunction with a re-roof(under certain circumstances) to add nails/straps/clips. It requires four nails to the truss or rafter and allows attachment to the top of the top plate or tie-beam. The form calls for a minimum of three nails.

Gable roofs; although they may meet current codes no discount is given.

Secondary water resistance is given a discount where secondary water barrier is not.

If it was a code inspection couldn’t we simplify the whole question, meets code or does not.

Finally, since when are pictures required to prove code.

And that is the way I see it.

Did I miss anything?

Now, if you want to ask should it be a code compliance inspection? That is another can of worms.

John writes:

Florida forum post of the year, IMHO.

From what I can see the nails are in the top plate which will not be visible with drywall installed to the ceiling. So John’s statement is correct!

Key words are truss or rafter. They are attached at the wall.

“Gable roofs; although they may meet current codes no discount is given”

That statement is not entirely correct. I have a client that has a 2006 house in Miami. The back of the house was gable. The gable wall was concrete block. It took a little over 4 hours of him arguing with the underwriter, but they finally gave in and gave him the credit. You just have to be willing to fight for your clients.

This is part of the reason I have no interest in posting here anymore, common sense isn’t a flower that grows in everyone’s garden. If you’re going to post snippets of information in a desperate attempt to support your position, post all of the information associated with the approval, past and present. Show a current approval for the connection, not expired from an outdated and antiquated approval process from 2003 that was never renewed. Show the one called a “NVTT Sanibel Truss Strap”. You know, the one that requires 2 fasteners into the truss.

Oh, I forgot “No, Sanibel do not require any in the truss or rafter”.

Simpson Strong-tie has current approvals for these types of connectors, why didn’t you use diagrams from those to support your’ claims? Is there something in those diagrams you don’t want everyone to see? What can it be?

The connectors you are referencing are essentially obsolete and no longer produced, they were never renewed past their original approval. You are familiar with obsolete building components, aren’t you? There have been many over the years. They were replaced after initial approval with the current approved connectors which can be traced all the way back to the 2001 FBC approval cycle. Would you like to take a guess as to what they all require? You know the answer.

Did you notice the “F1” detail in the diagrams Brad and Marc provided? (thank you for helping prove my point with pics) Those straps were only quantified for lateral movement along the wall, not perpendicular. And per USP: “We don’t quantify their ability to resist lateral movement, and when these products are used, the engineer developing the plans would be relying on some other design aspect to take out lateral forces”. In other words, it needs a supplemental connector or fasteners into the strap, which they would allow. This is why the approvals were allowed to expire…per the manufacturer.

The connectors were phased out because they were non-complaint with the FBC. They would fail to provide the required resistance to “lateral forces” applied perpendicular to the wall. This has been a requirement in the FBC since it’s adoption. Here is the Residential code citation for 2014, it’s been the same since 2004:

R802.1.7.5 Truss to wall connection.
Trusses shall be connected to wall plates by the use of approved connectors having a resistance to design uplift, lateral and shear forces. Trusses shall be installed in accordance with the manufacturer’s design and specifications.

You see what they did there? “forces”…And the first requirement? The trusses shall be connected to the wall plate, not just gently resting in place. USP already had connectors that meet this criteria, no need to have another that requires additional fastening.

The approval process wasn’t always what it is today. The old way was to test nail pull out, shear of the nails, strength of the wood, strength of the metal straps, then do the math. The new way is to make an actual assembly then apply forces to it … whoopsie … the old way was very flawed and 1 + 1 did not really equal 2, more like 1-1/2. The old way allowed these types of connectors to be approved without ever being tested in an actual assembly. The approval process has since been vastly improved, but is far from perfect.

Turns out many approvals have been revoked and/or voided due to this issue, especially in the early years of the FBC approval process. The MDCA Office actually makes this information available to the public, that some approvals are eventually proven to be non-complaint even though they were originally approved. Do you know what this means? You can actually have a Florida Product Approval or Miami-Dade Notice of Acceptance, and still not be FBC complaint.

Is this information part of your course? I certainly hope so as they had a big one this year for roof coverings, 10 total components in all were proven to be non-complaint and the approvals were suspended.

But I get where you guys are coming from, there’s no way you can be bothered with researching approvals and using common sense when you can just scapegoat with an ancient approval document and move on to the next $125. Had any of you actually investigated past the warm fuzzy diagrams, you may have caught this. It took me months of research with manufacturers, both approval offices, the FBC, and with industry professionals such as Building Inspectors and Engineers to put this together.

Again, if you see a roof to wall connector that is not secured to the truss in any way, do the right thing and notify the home owner so they know what there may be an issue. That although the connector may have been listed as “approved” at the time of installation, doesn’t mean it wasn’t actually tested for the application in which it is being used. It should be less about protecting your behind, and more about protecting the public.

My statements remain correct……and now all three of you are wrong. And you’re not only wrong, you are potentially putting families in danger with your lack of understanding for the approval process and general construction practices.

A CRC, CBC, and CGC…and you guys still couldn’t put this together.

***“Based on the statement you can verify the roof covering (notice it does not say whole roof or even roof, it states the covering only) with only a product approval. So the proof of an approved product with proof it is on the roof is all that is needed for item number 2. There is no need to prove that the roof was installed to code (with obvious exceptions).” ***

And those exceptions are? I fail to see your thought process, are you implying that you teach inspectors not to comment when they see something improperly installed, damaged, or non-complaint? Specifically, show me where home inspectors are “prohibited” from commenting on building codes. I only see where we can’t enforce compliance……but you know what I do see? That the administrative code for your license (not the standards of practice) specifically say you must comment on “improper installation or a change in accepted residential construction standards”. Don’t know John, what do you think qualifies as “improper installation” and what would determine this. Also, what do you think meets the definition of a “residential construction standard”?

Licensing laws are written and enforce to protect the public health, safety, and general welfare. This also matches the intent of the Florida Building Code. And you are teaching inspectors to ignore it…what do you think would be the issue with that?

You ignore all of this because you want the law to tell you what you can do, and that’s not how laws work. They are meant to tell you what you can’t do. The rules for your license say that you are not limited in any way but your own knowledge and/or expertise. Your license sets the minimum standard, not the maximum. Just one question, if I’m not limited but by my own knowledge and expertise, how exactly does this prohibit any home inspector from commenting on or inspecting components they are deemed qualified to inspect to the minimum requirements of the Florida Building Code?

"Roof deck attachment B does not meet the current code(generally) but allows for a discount. "**

We know this, it meets the 2001 Florida building Code. This is why the 2008 ARA stated that FBC homes should be classified in two different categories, pre-2004 FBC and post-2004 FBC (12/2006). Hence, the form asks “year built”. It’s asking “what code cycle do we use, and was it built in compliance with that code cycle”. Connection C doesn’t even meet the minimum requirements of the current FBCR. The form doesn’t need to be changed to do this as it was NEVER intended to be the maximum qualifying document, that’s a title you have given it. This is why when you check 1(a), this section doesn’t get completed. If it did, you would be signaling a building code deficiency if the home was constructed after 12/2006.

Remember a few months back when you were talking about a 2016 home that you gave a “single-wrap” qualification? Now you know this section doesn’t even need to be completed once FBC compliance is determined (you’re welcome). So, I’ll ask, did you go back and correct all of the previous forms you may have improperly completed with a “clip” simply because the attachment was only located on the side of the truss? You vey well may have reduced a qualifying feature by doing that, and this was proven by both an insurer and one of the largest modeling software providers for use with the form.

"Current rules require retrofits in conjunction with a re-roof(under certain circumstances) to add nails/straps/clips. It requires four nails to the truss or rafter and allows attachment to the top of the top plate or tie-beam. The form calls for a minimum of three nails."

No, it does not require 4 “nails” as part of the retrofit, it requires a minimum of four “fasteners” on the original connection ON EACH END to be excluded from retrofit requirements. Retrofit connections are not required to have four fasteners, they are required to be rated for 500fp of uplift. What if the connection uses bolts? Now it needs four bolts? Are nails the only fasteners you will approve?

708.8.1.3 Prescriptive method for gable roofs on a wood frame wall.
Wherever a strap is missing or an existing strap has fewer than four fasteners on each end, approved straps, ties or right angle brackets with a minimum uplift capacity of 500 pounds (740 kg) shall be installed that connect each rafter or truss to the top plate below.

You can add a fastener to an existing strap, but it would still need to be engineered for the uplift to qualify. It’s nice to see you have listened to what I have been telling you for over 3 years, do you plan on going back and correcting all of the previous forms that you completed incorrectly? Like the homes where you did not include the complete roof system perimeter? It’s been your position all along that the insurers are the authority, and your authority has spoken. It includes all roof system perimeters.

"Gable roofs; although they may meet current codes no discount is given."

So now you’re a rate variable expert instead of a wind mitigation expert? You have stated previously that “home inspectors are not code inspectors”. Can you show me where they are qualified to determine rate variables for insurance?

What is the actual difference between a hip roof structure and a gable roof structure? If it’s the wall height, do you give second story homes the hip roof geometry? If it’s the eave, do you give all perimeter eaves equal favor, including those over 24” horizontally from the exterior wall or overhangs? Can you provide me with any information that shows homes built in compliance with the FBC will fail at the roof coverings simply due to the shape of the roof in which they are applied? I have plenty of it for pre-FBC roof coverings, just not post-FBC.

Does the Florida Building Commission know you have this information and that they are approving roof coverings that may prematurely fail when installed on specific roof shapes? I have 5 reports that state the exact opposite. They prove that building code compliance was the contributing factor in storm related damages to newer homes in 2004/05. That and existing homes with older roof coverings that failed and became air-borne.

Newer home that were FBC complaint? No damages, even when subjected to winds above their design level. Drink that in for a bit…

There are a few inspectors out there doing it right, they are getting there customers qualifying techniques even thought they have been taught by you that they do not qualify.

"Secondary water resistance is given a discount where secondary water barrier is not."

No John, they are the same. Something your friends don’t know, during the original development process of the form, the Florida Building Commission and the insurance industry worked together to develop Florida Building Code approved methods for this. They were never “separated” until home inspectors got involved. Here’s a question, what typically leads to failure of a roof deck? Water saturation. This being the case, how do you think products that are glued together will perform once they are exposed and saturated? This is why approved secondary water resistance-barriers are required to be above the roof deck, not below it.

If the form was NEVER meant to be the maximum qualifications, or to excluded new and better building practices that are deemed complaint. If it was, can you please explain why seam tape is accepted when it isn’t even listed on the form? Foam adhesive falls below the FBC requirements as it doesn’t protect the roof structure, all FBC approved methods are above or equal to what the form requires. Hence, if your home was built after mandated FBC for SWRB, your home qualifies…

As an example: Two identical homes located side by side, both with the main roof covering removed. One with a foam adhesive Secondary water resistance-barrier located at the bottom side of the roof deck, the other with any Florida Building Code approved method located above the roof deck. Soak each one throughout with water for 12 hours. Remember, the foam adhesive is allowing the water to contact the wood decking. It’s not hard to see what the end result will be, wood decking isn’t meant to mitigate bulk amounts of water, only applied loads.

A Florida Building Code approved method of secondary water resistance-barrier could be soaked for days on end, it doesn’t matter because it doesn’t allow water to access the roof deck like foam adhesive…do you see it now?

And before you say “seam tape is an FBC approved method of SWRB, and it allows moisture to access the roof deck”. No it doesn’t, seam tape does not singularly qualify as a SRWB. It is required to have an approved underlayment installed over top to qualify. This is due to the fact that a existing roof deck is riddled with hundreds of holes from the original roof covering. Sealing the seams, like foam adhesive at the underside roof deck, would do little to prevent water from accessing the interior. Seam tape by itself does not qualify.

Consider this, if an insurer will accept seam tape as an approved method when it isn’t listed on the form, why wouldn’t the others qualify? Specifically, what standard is the insurer using and is it enforceable in our state as equal to or above the FBC? Also, under what authority is an FBC approved method being disqualified? The Florida building Commission is the authority in our state…not the OIR, not an insurer, and most definitely not an underwriter. You are allowing entities with a vested interest in the forms finds to interpret its’ approval……now what would be an issue with that?

***“If it was a code inspection couldn’t we simplify the whole question, meets code or does not.” ***

Says who, you? I’m getting you a dictionary for Christmas John, one with “compliance” highlighted.

"Finally, since when are pictures required to prove code. "

They are used extensively by AHJ’s to prove compliance. It’s complaint, here’s a picture proving such. What is your point? I have never meet anyone who makes things up quite the way you do. You fabricate information that doesn’t exist at a fever pitch. How many times do you need to be proven wrong before you stop and realize you are hurting the industry and Florida families?

Do you even realize what it means when you are wrong about the form? It means there are home owners who potentially pay higher insurance premiums because you or an insurer wanted to decide what did and didn’t qualify. Funny how you think you’re the authority on the forms intent and how it gets completed, yet you can’t even inspect for compliance with an approval or the Florida Building Code per your own admission.

[quote=“Robert_R.Sheppard, post:29, topic:109127”]

Remember a few months back when you were talking about a 2016 home that you gave a “single-wrap” qualification? Now you know this section doesn’t even need to be completed once FBC compliance is determined (you’re welcome). So, I’ll ask, did you go back and correct all of the previous forms you may have improperly completed with a “clip” simply because the attachment was only located on the side of the truss? You vey well may have reduced a qualifying feature by doing that, and this was proven by both an insurer and one of the largest modeling software providers for use with the form.

I would like some clarification on this… I understand that a 2006 built home is FBC, and that the insurance underwriters can give a smorgasboard of credits due to it being FBC…However, when I do an inspection on a FBC home, i still inspect all 7 items on the OIR 1802 – Just because ---- I have never felt right about only giving a “Clip” credit if the strap is only on one side, but the form directs me that way as there are no parameters for for distinguishing a clip vs single wrap based on uplift resistance… In other words, a strap on one side of the truss with (12) 10d nails has a greater uplift then a strap that has 3 nails but wraps over the truss. But technically i cannot select single wrap if it does not wrap over the truss. And if I leave it blank, the majority of underwriters and agents don’t know what to do — So what is the correct way to report this to satisfy everyone? and I am not asking what is code, I am asking what is the right way to complete the form as per INTENT?

[quote=“dquigley, post:30, topic:109127”]

Then you are doing it right. No matter what, you need to inspect each and every component that deals with the form…each and every one! The program is a mess of would-be experts and instructors who don’t know what they are doing. Most are just repeating what they learned that was wrong from the beginning.

Under section 4 is a open commentary for “F. other”. This is where FBC complaint connections are commented on. Most are engineered far beyond what the FBC requires. One I did last week was rated for over 2300fp of uplift. I was there after the wind mitigation inspector who gave it a “clip” rating simply because it was connected to the side of the truss…priceless.

Inspect all 7 sections on each home, no matter when it’s built.

Ready to be even more confused? If it was constructed after 2008, or is an existing site built, single-family home that had the roof covering replaced after this date…it qualifies as having a secondary water resistance-barrier. Every form filled out for a home with a roof covering permitted on or after this date that states “no secondary water barrier” is inaccurate. Every one! Secondary water resistance-barriers were mandated by law in 2007/08, this means that if the new home didn’t have it, you couldn’t check 1(a) for “built in compliance with the FBC”…lol

It’s only confusing because you have been taught wrong, not because the information I’m providing you is incorrect.

(edited for brads bruised ego)

Robert, you never cease to amaze me with all of your misinformation about how to fill out an 1802. You can’t even get the secondary water barrier date right. Have you even looked at the wording in the 1802 lately?? It does not completely coincide with the FBC.

Sure it does, it’s written right next to the word “seam tape” under section 6.

Robert, there you go again, insulting people. That’s really not helpful.

I am very much aware of CURRENT requirements for resisting lateral forces at RTW connections. I am also aware that the old strap shown doesn’t comply with today’s building code. However, it does comply with code in effect at the time of construction, and is therefore compliant. The code is not retroactive.

The strap shown does meet the criteria listed on the form, which is “Metal connectors consisting of a single strap that wraps over the top of the truss/rafter, is secured to the wall on both sides, and is secured to the top plate with a minimum of three nails on each side.” THERE IS NO REQUIREMENT ON THE FORM FOR NAILS INTO TRUSS/RAFTER.

[quote=“Robert_R.Sheppard, post:31, topic:109127”]

Robert,

The code mandated secondary water barrier is not the same as “Secondary Water Resistance” as it’s defined on the form. A layer of felt underlayment is not equivalent to a peel and stick membrane.

Please. Stop spreading misinformation.

Except for this:
Minimal conditions to qualify for categories B, C, or D. All visible metal connectors are:
􀀀 Secured to truss/rafter with a minimum of three (3) nails, and
􀀀 Attached to the wall top plate of the wall framing, or embedded in the bond beam, with less than a ½" gap from
the blocking or truss/

…then you must also be aware that this requirement has been in place long before that. There’s nothing more I can do for you, I gave you 75% of the needed information to figure this out. There’s one last thing you’re missing, and when you find it the light bulb will go off.

Enjoy your day.

[quote=“mcramer1, post:35, topic:109127”]

Hey Marc…when a structure has seam tape as the approved secondary water resistance-barrier, where do you mark that on the form? I can’t seem to find that option.

More of this crap again?
Robert, please get a life or a hobby or something. Your obsession really makes you look pathetic.

So you’re telling me that the form requirements may not meet current code?? Oh my, what a Revelation!