Wind Mitigation - Strapping trusses

Hello, first post. Currently live in the Tampa Florida area between Tampa and Plant City. Am a former framing company owner and have a lot of experience in building residential structures from site preparation all the way through finishing and approved occupancy. I am also a trained civil engineer with a specialty in the structural engineering department but am not a PE.

I have to replace the roof shingles on my house this winter (built in 1974) and I am going to have to install truss tie downs (there are not any) on my block rancher house. Due to the age of the house, only the lintel is poured solid with steel enclosed in it but the window and door openings do not have solid poured beams parallel to them.

As I have to replace the shingles, this gives me an opportunity to remove the sheathing over the trusses around the perimeter of the roof to expose the trusses for strapping or another form of tie-downs.

So the question I have for the Florida inspectors, is what type of tie downs will be sufficient to comply with insurance requirement for wind mitigation on my hurricane policy as well as code? I figured that if I choose to strap, I can drill into the side of the lintel and place some Tapcons through the strap to attach to the lintel then place the strap over the top of the truss and nail in place using the required 10d nails. Another option would be to use the MMH hurricane ties, using the H ties, or whatever is recommended for this type of installment.

Opinion and suggestions?

Minimum uplift rating is 500lbs for each truss / rafter that is retrofitted in FL according to the Florida Building Code (Existing Building). Which ever strap or clip you choose for your particular situation, follow the manufacturer’s installation sheet. Follow the FBC and you will qualify for the wind mitigation discount.

Windmitsolutions.com might be able to help or give you some ideas.