Is this 'Wind Mit' legit?

This was posted in a FB Group I participate in (not related to Wind Mits or Florida specifically).
I am just curious what the Florida guys think about it, regarding in a Wind Mitigation scenario.
Please be specific with your replies…

There are not enough fasteners for it to qualify as a single or double strap. It must be nailed to both the beam and the rafter/truss.

That said, it looks like the corner brackets may qualify as clips if they used the proper fasteners. I can’t see the bottom of them. I have potential issues with the screws they used if they aren’t Simpson strong tie rated for wind shear and pull out. Drywall screws are no bueno.

That’s crazy the wire is total nonsense

1 Like

Indeed it is. High Tensile steel, strong enough for King Kong.

That said, notice how hard they must have twisted that to pull it down into the trusses. It probably would hold but it may change the breaking point of the truss so you get a nicely held down rafter tail still attached and a missing roof.

1 Like

I think that is a cut notch where the wire is running. That said these look more like rafters than trusses. What the heck kind of work was going on when that picture was taken?

1 Like

Yeah, definitely rafters.

I’m not entirely sure what they are going for here. Maybe it’s something during install to keep everything in place. It’s certainly not a legitimate wind mitigation strategy although it would perform better than just a clip alone but not up to any agreeable standard.

1 Like

There is no engineering to back up this wire wrapping technique. It may work, but there’s nothing to document its uplift capacity.

4 Likes

Farmer engineering doesn’t count?

2 Likes

Exactly why it caught my attention!
Methods like this are more common than some may think, (even if not for a “FL Wind Mit”).
Yes, Minnesota (and Iowa and others) deal with high wind issues also, (aka. tornado’s, derecho’s, etc.).
Rural America can get real creative on how we handle these situations.

2 Likes

MN/IA/WI Repair-All Kit.

3 Likes

Let’s not forget the all-purpose fastener of choice, (screws are too expensive)…

1 Like

My FIL is a retired farmer. It drives me absolutely insane every time we go to visit, and he asks me to perform a project. It’s usually something like the facia metal blew off the front of the house the other night when it stormed. Here’s a Folgers can full of bent up rusty 16 penny nails and some fencing staples. Use them and this ballpeen hammer to tack it back up there. You will have to find the old wooden widow maker ladder that has a tree growing up through it somewhere back in the weeds.

In his defense. It’s the way that it was always done.

3 Likes

The knee bone is connected to the thigh bone…

1 Like

Gotta love the 1970’s stereo wiring as a wrap. Fortunately, they only did it to one. I’m guessing this is not under any Florida Building Code (FBC). That clip doesn’t look right either. Based on the type of upward force that could be imparted on the clip it doesn’t appear to have the uplift capacity as a typical clip. (Pulling the nail vertically out of the top plate vs shear with it being nailed horizontally). As a buyer, if I saw this…I would be very concerned. There are probably other areas that have this kind of ghetto engineering. I wouldn’t expect this house to do well in a CAT 3 or above. Hopefully, it’s nowhere near the water. Randy Mayo’s answer nailed it.