Wind Mitigation

Wow… you have got to be kidding me? Are you serious? Am I taking this out of context??

Didn’t they already try this years ago? Isn’t that why we have code inspectors… to make sure the contractor does it right?

wait a minute…I don’t think code inspectors are allowed to build houses yet they inspect houses … hmmmmmmm

You are hearing me right. They have lowered the educational and experience requirements 10 fold and are now allowing anyone who takes a 3 hour course to do what only the people with the highest amount of education and experience were allowed to do.

I am sure this is offensive to many but that is not my fault. I am only stating the facts. The requirements needed to become a Architect, Engineer or a General Contractor are many times harder than that of a 3 hour course.

Heck according to the form whoever the insurance companies see fit can do them.

The reason I am pissed should be obvious. it is money out of my pocket now that there are going to be many more people allowed to do the inspections.

The problems are not likely to come from the few that are on these forums as they are always trying to learn more and do a better job. The problems will come from the hacks trying to make a quick buck.

Code inspectors are not home inspectors. The requirements are much different and so are the experience requirements.

Again, all irrelevant with respect to unfair trade practices.- and no offense taken-

I guess you are right. I got carried away again.

OMG. Can you give it a rest. You are so wrong I cant even measure. What about a PE, he cant build a house but those qualification far exceed the knowledge base of a lowly builder.
Ohh since we are on the subject how about an architect, You remember him he is the guy who actually designs the structure that the lowly builder has to put together. and then come out to the construction site and verify that you M O R O N S are following the plans correctly.
OHH and the building inspector that whos whole purpose in life was created because those IDIOT builders could not follow the simple instructions of the Professional Engineer and the Architect?

Get OVER IT Mike, You now have more competition in the industry than you did before.

And by the way I highly doubt that anyone ever said I am going to spend years of my life and tons of money to get a GC license so I can do Windstorm Mitigation Inspections. I would have to say that if you are a working age GC whos income is based on Wind mits and not on construction than you probably did something wrong.
Not to say there is anything wrong with doing Wind Mits with a GC license, There are many factors that would reasonably justify that, as well as personal choice. ( so all the respectable contractors, please dont take offense)
And on the subject of taking offense. I DO take offense to the constant criticism here in the HOME INSPECTORS FORUM to anyone who is constantly criticizing our trade or our trade members.

(I step down from my soap box…again.)

Kenneth,

Mike is a stucoo man who happens to have a GC license.

Steve,

Will you be sharing your view with the state to seek redress?

Thanks.

Yes, I got it on the public record at the OIR hearing last Wednesday. That was just the opening round. Right now, just trying to create awareness among fellow inspectors (for those of you that don’t get it- a.k.a small business owners). Hopefully, others inspectors will see it and agree. I have also consulted an attorney and am awaiting a legal opinion as to if the theory is valid.

My point is not who is qualified; I have said it many times having ANY license does not make you qualified, it does allow it though. I believe most of the poor work you see is not from a GC but some other contractor.

The contractor’s exam does have additional test based on handling employees and contracts, the Home Inspectors do not.

For it to qualify as unfair trade practices they would have to make it so you could not get a GC or prevent you from “sub-ing” them if you did.

I can not stamp or approve plans, nor do code inspections, because I do not meet the requirements, not because they will not let me. There is a difference.

It is not as hard as many GCs would like you to think to get a GC license in the State of Florida. Florida is probably the toughest though.

FYI, I predict because of the tough exam and requirements, I think we will see a shortage of Tier One contractors in the State of Florida over the next ten years.

Steve
I agree 100%!
There is not one single State or Federal requirement that makes a home inspection company any less qualified to hire and supervise employees than GCs, Engineers or Architects.
This was originally limited to Engineering Firms if I am not mistaken. Now GCs also.
Before everyone gets too excited I suggest they read the form closely. You may authorize a** direct employee **to perform the inspection.
Not a sub that gets 40 bucks a job and then handles his own taxes, insurance and overhead, an employee of your company! That is someone you will be required to withhold taxes on, pay matching Social Security and Medicare, cover with State and Federal Unemployment Insurance and add to your Workers Comp. Policy.
Now try to fit that into a 75.00 inspection!

All of my inspectors are employees.
I think do not you understand the requirements to be a licensed GC/BC/RC in this state. Maybe you should compare the requirements side by side and it would help you decide if it is unfair. Here are a few, additional insurance, $10k cash on hand and more time in the field as a supervisor or college.

just some thoughts.

John
I understand the requirements. Half the GC exam is on business practices. And for good reason, a GC will be handling 10s or 100s of thousands of dollars of a clients money. If the business side of the operation is not handled properly the client could get stuck with a home half built.
That does not change the fact that a GCs authorization to do a wind mit carries no more weight that an Inspectors authorization to do the same. It is a level playing field until the OIR trys to say an inspector is less qualified to do something that has no requirements to begin with. There are no State or Federal requirements to be met prior to hiring employees for any business!
As far as I am concerned all business owners should be required to prove they have a basic understanding of the business side of a business. But is not required.

My exam for my contractor’s license did have questions on employees including Workers Comp.

No matter how you look at, the requirements to be a GC is greater than that of a home inspector. It does not change that ability to do a wind mit but does **imply **that one is more qualified than the other.

The real reason is we are allowed to use employees is because PEs and contractors have a better lobby and more representation. It is going to take years if not decades for inspectors to catch up to the contractors. Since there is no inspectors on the contractors board, the license will never be close to equal.

Did you realize that as a contractor I can put a roof on a home I build. I can not re-roof a home. That is because of the roofing lobby. Is it right?
Now if a storm rolls through I will be allowed by the Governor to re-roof any home. This is one reason you see lots of poor work around storms, lack of experience. Is that fair to anyone, only the roofers. Unfair trade practice? No if I want to be a roofer I should get a roofer’s license, according to the the state

Michael , I don’t see how this is money out of your pocket, if anything, you are taking money from others.

You offer a FREE WIND MITIGATION inspection with your home inspection. The last time I checked, “FREE” meant zero dollars.

Think about it.

Got to offer them something when you get your clients by advertising. It is something I can offer that others cannnot.

You will see it everywhere once all are licensed.

I believe you will see them for $19.99 in one year or less. As a stand alone service.

I will be out of the Wind Mit Service business if it gets much worse.

People doing whatever insurance agencies want and others just trying to survive are and will continue to cut each others throats until there is no sense in being involved with them.

Mike … I agree with your last post. I will leave at that. :slight_smile:

By the way, I have absolutely no interest in performing wind mits any longer, In fact I have a contractor (that does not do home inspections) that loves to do them with me. I give him the work!

I just would like to keep those options of being able to provide that service if my guy can’t make it for some reason.

Cool.Here is the best place I can think of to get peoples opinions who do them every day and are always helping each other out. If we people who do wind mits don’t help each other out and share opinions then we are all sh-t out of luck.

Michael. At one time I offered you to do my wind mits for $100 a pop and you declined it. You needed $125 each. Guess what, you screwed yourself out of the money. At one time you had a license that was valuable. Now its not. Greed got the best of you.

Russel,

I do not remember you or your offer “BUT” what i was doing on the West Coast was with a partner. I personally was not doing the inspections there so the margins were not what I could negotiate on the east coast. I had another person involved. On the East coast I do all inspections and pay no one else. The stuff on the West coast was primarily to help out a long time partner and make a little myself. I hope you were not offended in the previous negoiations you speak about but I try to work out deals that work and if they don’t then they don’t. I still could not do that deal unless you had multiple inspections in a close location. I do recognize your name from here but i do not remember speaking to you as I speak to a great number of folks each day.

Just checked. here is the last communication I have from you. I found nothing in my outlook stuff:

**ME: **Yes i am definately interested. That will be no problem. My partner of 20+ years is on the SW coast. I am not sure what we will be charging yet I will have to see the new form. Right now on the SW coast I charge $100 for the full standard wind mit. Please feel free to contact me anytime.
[/quote]

**You: **Can you send me a sample and can we cut it to $75?..I do about 1200 Home Inspections a year…
[/quote]