Window flashing --

If you’ve ever worked the trades and around these people.
Reality is many “no habla nada”. Education under third world conditions is a luxury, not a necessity, many cannot afford.
They are plying some labor efforts as soon as they can walk on their own and assist the rest of the family in some way.
Not unlike what rural America was and still is in some regions.

This is an old but poignant statement on America http://www.wsws.org/news/1998/oct1998/ill-o14.shtml

In the Building Science IR Class we were told that Tyvek must not be installed upside down or it will not work as designed, chemical exposure (from nails) also degrade it.

And the tyvek reps in the KC metro will tell you no matter right side left side inside out side it does not matter it will still work!

As for the (“no habla nada”. )

I have heard way to many americans say F it its not my house.

Thanks, folks.
I think there should be a drip cap on top of the window trim, but the builder is not of the same opinion. Will advise buyer to keep maintained.

Marcel, that is a good link.

Thanks for all the response.
Linda

Marcel I agree .Good PDF to have.

What the inside can and might look like!

http://www.badstucco.com/badpaper.html

Mr. Brown:

You must go to a good source of specs and compare the permeability of Tyvek, Typar and tarpaper. I think you will find that Tyvek is by far the more permeable and able to let the moisture “breathe” (proper term is “diffuse”) out of the wall.

From a report I did for an architect in a code ruling last fall:

“The new walls have Typar as the sheathing membrane versus 15 lb. tarpaper. The permeability of the Typar is 11.7 perms versus 8 perms for the tarpaper. Although the Typar is slightly more permeable than the tarpaper, it is in the same order of magnitude and not a number of times more permeable than a product such as Tyvek at 58 perms”

Brian,

With all due respect.

I have seen water trapped in the tyvek with my own eyes!

A moisture barrier should never have the horizontal joints sealed.

And should never be put on behind flashing and have the flashings taped to it!

Air barrier maybe not moisture barriers!

It is one or the other.

Carl,
It would be interesting to follow you around to gain knowledge. Too bad you’re so far away !
Linda

Linda,

My opinions come from 28 years of climbing on scaffold, on and around houses doing stucco!

The material mfgrs. do not seem to understand not just one product makes a house and they all need to work together for the end product.

There are alot of problems that are in place long before the stucco subs set foot on the job.

They have alot to do with the codes you posted!

Linda, I agree there should be a cap flashing. In my area the majority new construction homes you do not see cap flashing anywhere. I recently just started noting it in my report although it seems like a waste of time. The flashing below the window trim near the window should not be caulked .

Brian,

Can you share your paper?

Why would a guy want to flash windows? Wouldn’t think that’d be much fun…hardly worth opening the raincoat. :cool:

Larry,

Are you a flasher???:mrgreen: :stuck_out_tongue:

Shhhh…I don’t know where that came from…still checking…:-k :-;; :lol:

Brian,

What are your thoughts about Pactivs Raindrop/GreenGuard?

https://pactivnet.pactiv.com/ProductCatalog/Rooms/DisplayPages/LayoutInitial?Container=com.webridge.entity.Entity%5BOID%5B33A485043409D711A4830002A5FBF6DF%5D%5D

Thanks Carl

I guess weather barriers did not mean too much to this guy, but he did not forget the flashing. :wink:

Marcel :slight_smile:

Thanks Marcel!!

I just spit pepsi all over myself!:smiley:

Hope you did not jolt that neck of yours, :smiley:

I wasn’t even out of my truck when I saw that one.

Marcel :slight_smile:

I guees a picture is worth several words!:mrgreen:

The neck is ok.:wink: