Wood on Concrete

Originally Posted By: ttravis
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

A gentleman emails me and wants to know if I,m a certified flooring inspector. Said he got my name from the “find an inspector”. I asked him what kind of flooring problems he was having. Said he has a Shaw brand wood floor on concrete and Shaw said he has a moisture problem. I looked up Shaw’s website and got the installation instructions. Just as you would think, their is special procedure to check concrete for moisture, before you install the flooring. Well I don’t know yet who installed the floor (him or a flooring contractor)or if the check for moisture was done. I’m trying to help this guy out, you know, to give NACHI and my company some good public relations. Does anyone know if there is such a thing as a certified flooring inspector? Should I try and help this guy? What would you suggest. I think it might be good experience and good for business. I emailed him and asked alot more question, but haven’t got a reply back yet. Tom.

Originally Posted By: psabados

Hey Tom

Sounds like he already had a rep from Shaw out to see him. Most likely its a moisture problem, possibly even the wrong type of material installed. In the old days to check moisture on concrete a flat rubber mat was laid on the concrete and allowed to stay there for 24 hrs. If any moisture was present you could visibly see the damp area.

Today the use of a moisture meter will tell the story. I'm betting its a DIY project or the installing contractor didn't do the proper checks. If the later is the case he will have to go back to the contractor for help.

Believe it or not, there is such a thing www.nofma.org/cwficourse.htm
But it doesn't appear to be one in the heartland

Paul

Paul, you are exactly right. He did the flooring himself and he did not do a moisture CK. Thanks for that website for flooring inspectors, I forward that to homeowner. I don’t see what else I can do. Tom

Originally Posted By: rrushing

Tom,

It's obvious to me why he is calling you or any other inspector. He has had 'buckling' of the floor edges and called the flooring company. They told him what can happen with high moisture when applied directly on the concrete. Now, he wants the manufacturer to stand by the product.

I see it all the time. This will result in a very upset homeowner that will threaten to sue the store where he bought the product and the manufacturer. It ALWAYS turns into a pissing contest that I'm sure you would want to distance yourself from.

I see this situation almost every 2-3 months where the homeowner is looking for an EXPERT to fight for him against the evil-doers.

I distance myself from these. He needs to work it out with the manufacturer (won't happen).

Rich

Rich, I agree with you. Thanks Tom.