wood truss system

Do these wood truss joists look right? I think when I’ve seen them in the past they had truss plates installed.

I’ve never seen this particular type of installation.


Hey Vince;

I installed some of those trusses in the late 70’s but they had truss plates.

Maybe this is an earlier version of the concept.

Wish I could help you on this more.

Marcel :slight_smile: :smiley:

Interesting, this home was built in 2006.

That is interesting, for I have not seen this set up before.

Any idea who the manufacture is on this design of connections.?

Marcel :slight_smile: :smiley:

I know it was a pulte construction.

I guess that explains everthing to me anyways.

Thanks and wish I could have helped you more.

Marcel :slight_smile: :smiley:

Heh, well I thought the home in general was pretty well constructed. In fact I only took around 25 photos during the entire inspection which for me is really low.

See: http://www.toolbase.org/Technology-Inventory/Whole-House-Systems/trimmable-open-web-floor-truss

“The second type of trimmable open-web floor truss is an all-wood truss. This product has a section of dimension lumber on the ends as opposed to an I-joist. It does not rely on truss plates for connections like most open-web wood trusses. Rather, the chords and webs are connected using finger-jointing technology.”

If you see no evidence of failure you have no business calling it unless you have direct knowledge of this type of truss.

I thought Marcel would handle this one with ease. . . :wink:

Very common, very reliable system. Seen most often in commercial applications sub-floors and ceilings.

Funny Jeff;:slight_smile:

The joist design is been around for years, but this connection of the internal chords is what does not look familiar.

Around the State the chord connections are all made with truss plates.

The disadvantage of using this type of truss uphere with cellars is you need ten foot foundations.

That is why it did not last long.
It has been used quite a bit on multi-housing units with crawl space and frost walls.

No reason to call out anything wrong with it, because I don’t see anything wrong, just questioning the type of connection.

Can’t find a manufacture on it either.

Marcel :slight_smile: :smiley:

Just tuggin’ your chain big dog :wink:

I was actually referring to the design of this truss. It’s one of the oldest that I know of. I actually learned about it during my Ironworker’s apprentice-training, way back when. . .

I think it was referred to as a “channel-bore” or a “channel-lock” (I could be wrong, that was a long time ago), and they were pre-cut but assembled on site. The system is still in use, but I don’t know if they’re still assembled on site.

The more modern systems that utilize the stamped gusset-plates are much less expensive, and therefore, much more popular.

I know you were. :wink:

Curiosity gets me though, that I am unable to find a link on this type of connector, anything kicking around?

This design of truss, I was using in the early 80’s with the gusset pressure plate, so the design must go quite a few years beyound that, would be my guess.

I’ll keep digging.

Thanks for the info.

Marcel :slight_smile: :smiley:

Well, I was an apprentice in the '80’s, and I learned about these during a “history” lesson. So I guess these would date back to the '50’s, or even earlier.

It’s a variation of (I believe) the Warren truss, which dates back to the early 1800’s.

Well, thanks to Jeff Pope, in my research, I stumbled over this that might be of help to all.


And Vince;

the originator of this thread, we are still working on it to help you and me understand some of this conditions better.

Hang in there.

Marcel :slight_smile: :smiley:

Hey, I was right. The Warren truss was patented in 1848.

I know Jeff, good work.

Hey Vince, I found it. Unfortunately, I can’t find a picture of the connection.

But, here are the installation instructions. The picture matches yours.


Hope this helps.

Marcel :slight_smile: :smiley:

They look like a product called Open Joist 2000. They use a proprietary finger-jointed glued joint. Here is their website.