Here is some information on how to easily obtain your Worker Comp Exemption Letter if you do not already have one. Now that their is a State License, you may find more request for Workers Comp Insurance or an Exemption. Especially if you are going to take part in the Citizens Re-inspection Program.
- You must first determine your classification number by calling (800) 622-4123 and selecting option #5
- Tell them you do not have a pin number, and they will simply ask your name. They will ask you if you are incorporated or a Limited Liability Co. ---- and if you do any construction. The key to the easy over the phone exemption lies in not being in the Construction Industry. If you are a home inspector that is also a Contractor doing construction through the same business name, you cannot obtain your exemption over the phone (to my knowledge). You must send it in an pay $50.00.
- If you are soley a home inspector that does not do any construction, then you will be given a classification number of “8720”.
- After you receive your classification number (yours may be different than 8720, (but i doubt it unless you are doing construction) call (850) 413-1601 and tell them you just received your classification number and would like to apply for your Workers Compensation Exemption. They will ask your name, company name & address, phone number, type of company, number of employees and maybe your social security number. Remember that Limited Liabilty Companies owners are called Members, and are considered employees. I think officers of corporations are also considered employees, but verify with them before answering the question of how many employees the company has.
- After they take the info, they will tell you that they will mail out a letter, your exemption. There is no fee.
and your done – Hope that helps