Would you call for fndtn repair?

Noticed the driveway was really offset at all the sections. Vertical and horizontal crack at master bed, vertical crack above master bed door, up bed door sticks at frame, fireplace movement due to the caulking separating on both sides, and the chimney outside has a fairly good sized separation that has been caulked. One other bed wall has a vertical crack that has been patched before and now has reappeared.

DSC07060.JPG

more pics

DSC07032.JPG

DSC07068.JPG

The sideways pictures (first pics in both secquences) make me dizzy and I don’t see what you must see. The other interior pictures where I can see the drywall cracks, they look typical and minimal to me.

The driveway slab has settled, substantial cracking and has heaved.

But I don’t see where one might call for “foundation” repair (which I consider footers, CMUs, etc).

You should have used a 6’ level on the inspection to support any claim to chimney, walls and floor having settling issues (with photos). With this data then you could recommend a structural engineer to further examine foundation. Cracks can occur just from shrinkage of framing materials and other issues not related to the foundation.
“Inspected Once, Inspected Right”

[RIGHT]

http://www.pacificnorthwestinspections.com/nachi.gif

[/RIGHT]

I’m used to seeing diagonal cracks off the corners of wall openings when there’s been foundation movement. When I see vertical and horizontal cracking it’s often cracks following joints in drywall.

Those walls looked like plaster. Were they?

Did the neighbors driveways look the same?
Find any cracking on the exterior foundation, interior floors?
What age is the house?
Any cracking in brickwork on those exterior walls?, around windows or doors?

If its a foundation issue then you need to be showing us some pictures of the foundation itself including around the footer…otherwise its nothing more than unfounded speculation based upon some sideway pictures which make my neck hurt.

Driveways can crack yet the foundation is fine…one has to becareful about tying the two together without seeing cracks and displacement within the foundation itself.

regards

Jeff

Yep. Soil movement may be from heaving due to expansive soil or frost heave, in which case it may continue; or it may be consolidation due to poor compaction at the time of original construction, in which case it’s often stable.

Nope. Defer it to a trade professional and put the turd in their pocket.

This is the key phrase in defining how to look at home inspector liability.

Could you be more specific?

I agree.

I can see that the walls need repair and the driveway has settled, but cannot comment on the foundation in this limited visual inspection. :wink:

The step crack is not normal. However still to many questions. What condition was the foundation in? Are there any rooms upstairs where the step crack is? If not did you go look in the attic to see what might be up there?

Richard

From the pictures it appears site grading and poor water runoff management is putting excessive amounts of water next to the foundation. The uneven drive is a classic example of subgrade failure due to excessive moisture. To make matter worse the one photo looks as if the drive is now sloping towards the house.

As a home inspector I would note cracks and possible settlement and suggest further investigation needed.

As a Structural Engineers my advice would be first develop a plan to manage the grading and runoff issues then second depending upon the foundation type and the severity of the settlement look at mudjacking and/or screw anchor jacks to restore the foundation to the proper elevation.

This is the short version, there are more measurements and cost estimates that need to be done to verify my assessment and to determine the most economical solution for this homeowner.