Your home is free of carbon monoxide.

Originally Posted By: gmartin2
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Can this be checked durning the course of a home inspection by using a plug-in detector? Or should you perform tests at the vents of any CO producing devices?

Geo

Originally Posted By: gbeaumont

Hi to all,

George it can be checked, but I would not go with a plug in tester, if you are going to be relying on or reporting the CO levels then at the very least you should use a properly calibrated CO meter, I use a Kane May.

Regards

Gerry

Originally Posted By: gmartin2

thanks gerry

I, ve got an extech hand held that I use. What brought it up was that an inspector told an acquaintance of mine that his home was 'free of CO' & that got me thinking about using a plug-intype.

Geo

Originally Posted By: Caoimh?n P. Connell

Hello Mr. Martin:

I would like to chime in with Mr. Beaumont. Most ?plug-in? style CO monitors don?t actually measure CO per se, but rather are meant to mimic our blood?s longer term response to CO.

For screening purposes, I agree that it is more appropriate to use a direct reading instrument that can be calibrated in the field.

Caoimh?n P. Connell
Forensic Industrial Hygienist

www.forensic-applications.com

(The opinions expressed here are exclusively my personal opinions and do not necessarily reflect my professional opinion, opinion of my employer, agency, peers, or professional affiliates. The above post is for information only and does not reflect professional advice and is not intended to supercede the professional advice of others.)

AMDG

Originally Posted By: dvalley

I agree…plug-ins are crap.

I carry a low level (battery operated) Co detector in my tool bag that stays on continuously 24 hours a day. I?ve had this alarm activate several times (in the past) during a home inspection. When I do get an audible alarm from this specific detector, I pull out my UEI CO Detector to confirm Co levels within the home. Sure enough?high levels.

Co levels are checked in every home I inspect.

--
David Valley
MAB Member

Massachusetts Certified Home Inspections
http://www.masscertified.com

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go."